Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jiffy stand bracket replaced....Big difference

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Theakerr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this unique to the 2009 models? I have a 2003 which appears to lean more than others and the distance it moves fwds still scares the heck out of me.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:07 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Originally Posted by Theakerr
Is this unique to the 2009 models?
ayyyuup

Old 04-20-2009, 06:28 PM
bpav16
Road Master
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Monstermile
Just had the jiffy stand bracket replacement done on my 09 EGC while I was on vacation. Took about a month for my dealership to get the part in as it was on back order. Funny they knew nothing about it as I was the first to bring it up. Service bulliten came out about a week after I talked to them. They still think I am an insider as I am consantantly bringing them news.

What a difference it makes. It sits more upright now and does not feel like it is gonna fall over when setting it down on the stand. If you are eligible to get this done I highly recommend it.

BTW since a good percentage of you are probably wondering WTF I am talking about read

HERE
I was the 1st one to get it done at my dealer...they didn't know about it. A factory rep called them on my behalf...big difference after it was done.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:33 PM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default bracket change

I just happened to go to my dealer sat and demo rides where on. I asked about the bracket change and they didnt know anything. ya right. they punched my vin into the computer and said my bike had no recalls. before asking this I had gone around the show room feeling for the letters inside the bracket and all the floor bikes had the lettering , meaning the new design was on all of them. after pushing a bit explaining I had seen the recall letter right from harley they look it up and it was exactly like the letter I saw posted in here. after reading it the dealer says if I dont like the bracket they would replace it according to the recall letter. he then asks me how I found out about it since its top secret stuff.I explain through HD forum site. he wondered how the letter got posted in here. I went to about 5 demo bikes right off the harley truck all of them had the early brackets without the letters inside the bracket.the locator on top of the jiffy stand ,when at rest slides all the way to the back of the bracket so the end of the locator is pretty well even with the back of the bracket. on the modified version there is about 5/16 of the bracket now visable at the end of the locator key.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:47 AM
Gearhead3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A question for those who have had theirs replaced: Does the new bracket take care of the fore aft "slop" I now have with my jiffy stand?? It makes for an anxious moment or two to lean your bike over on it's stand, only to have it roll forward 3 or 4 inches.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:59 AM
flhrbill
Club Member
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

It took the dealership four weeks to get the new kick stand (sorry jiffy stand) in, but it made such a difference. The dealership replaced the bracket not the stand itself, after all it's the bracket which needs replaceing not the stand.

Make sure you can feel the OE stamp on the top left behind the bracket.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:23 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

What is the lettering inside the bracket that you can feel? I did see the pics that Dawg had posted of the two brackets but didn't catch the info about lettering. My bike is from October '09 so pretty sure it needs it.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:23 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's the bulletin on it... Jiffy stand M-1243.pdf

The early 09 touring bikes have to great of a lean angle. I just talked to customer support and they will replace the jiffy stand mounting bracket at no cost to you. The part # for the new part is 50096-09. All you have to do is call Customer Service at 414-343-4056 to get a case number then take your bike to your local dealer and provide them with the case number and they will replace this for you. When i mentioned this to my dealer they acted like never heard of this, but now with this case number looks like you can get it fixed.

I fixed my own earlier as it was cheaper than carrying it to the dealer and making two trips.
Now i can get my money back for the part.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:31 AM
CruzN
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My jiffy stand

Can someone tell from this picture if I have one that needs replacing?
It doesn't look like it leans to far over. But I'm not sure.
If you could compare this to one that was replaced I would appreciated it.

Attached Thumbnails Jiffy stand bracket replaced....Big difference-flht-7.jpg  
Old 04-21-2009, 10:49 PM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default just lean angle

the new mount keeps the bike from leaning to the left , it doesnt straighten the angle of the jiffy stand in relation to to say a 90 degree angle from the bike. I know what you mean though, my 2003 stand was so far behind the bike i figured the head was going to twist off the top of the jiffy stand from the twisting effect the weight of the bike had on it. I bought the top piece and took it to work and had the welder tig weld on one side of it to move the angle around and then milled the other side off to get the width back to normal. the angle rotated about 10-15 degrees and the stand was perfectly straight or 90 degrees to the bike now, I had it powder coated to keep it from rusting. I saved the piece for my 2009 ultra and found that the old top piece is actually wider than the new top piece so I had to grind one side to get the width down. It does get my stand on my 2009 a bike past center towards the front of the bike by a few degrees. unfortunately I didnt have access to the milling equipment any longer since the company I used to work for gave the truck frame buisness to a competitor and closed all 8 plants in canada.

Quick Reply: Jiffy stand bracket replaced....Big difference