Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you trust your center stand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 06:26 AM
KopperTop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you trust your center stand?

One of my winter projects was installing a center-stand. Love how it saves space in the garage and gives the bike an on-display look about it. It works great when I park my bike for the day on my nice flat garage floor.

I was out riding yesterday and after my ride parked the bike on my flat concrete driveway. I had noticed that the clock on the radio was wrong when I was riding, so I thought I'd set it before putting the bike up for the night. I'm off the bike doing odd stuff (debugging windshield, putting my gear away, getting my phone to get the right time) for about five minutes. Then I put the ignition in Accessory mode, and power up the radio to set the clock time. As I'm pushing the buttons on the head unit, I hear a clunk and the bike comes OFF the center stand and begins to flop over! Fortunately, I was on the left side and could hold it while I engaged the jiffy stand.

This really has me questioning if a center stand can be used in anything but the most ideal situation. A high spot under your stand and you may have difficulty getting it up, but a low spot, however slight, could spell disaster. Mine is the Wheeldock stand that doesn't fully lift the wheel -- maybe that makes it easier to engage, but not as safe as the ones that raise the rear wheel.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:33 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

If the surface is flat & hard and your front wheel is pointing up (uphill) slightly, I can't see the bike coming off the stand unless it's pushed forcefully forward.

Your right though, garage use or a surface as I described above is all that I would trust using the stand.

My only bitch with the stand is trying to get it up on the 1/2" plywood. Since I have no crash bars on my bags, I have no where to grab to pull back or hold onto too.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:36 AM
pab
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on being careful when & where you use the Wheeldock stand. I posted a similar experience a few months ago. I've now put chocks on both wheels every time I engage the center stand. It's an o.k. product, but it's got to be used wisely.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:41 AM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It should never come off that easy... mine is not a Wheeldock but I have to take it off the center stand it won't just roll off. I also have air ride and I remove the air and that makes it almost impossible to bring it down off the stand.

I don't know what to tell you other than it's not a situation I would put myself in.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:41 AM
*Shadow*
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one , but mine is the Harley model. My bike never moved. I did adjust mine so the wheels are just touching the ground. When I stored the bike in the winter, I just put a 2 inch board under, to raise the wheel off the ground.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:49 AM
Orion1369
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have read several threads saying their bike came off the Wheeldock all by it self. I have had Rivco stands on both our bikes for going on 4 years now. We have never had any concern about them coming off. We have even loaded our camping gear at campgrounds parked in the dirt with no problems.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:00 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If the ground under the center of your bike is low by 1/2 an inch or so, it can take a lot of the stability out of a center stand. If it is too easy to put the bike on the stand , that should be a big tip off.
If it's real easy on perfectly flat ground, you need to adjust the feet down until it's a little more difficult to get it up on the stand.
Use common sense when putting the bike on the stand and you'll find it to be one of the handiest add ons you've done.
I've had mine on for 50,000 kms and use it more often than the side stand. Just be mindful of the terrain you're parking on.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:32 AM
Foley Fats
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My Wheeldockseems less stable now than when new. I have had it on the bike for about 14,000 miles. I think the feet on the stand are worn down a little now. The bike is a little easier to get on and off the stand now.

I don't use it when the bike is idling and no one on the bike anymore. It will vibrate off.

Last edited by Foley Fats; 04-19-2009 at 07:33 AM. Reason: identify center stand
Old 04-19-2009, 07:46 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I only use mine in the garage.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:22 AM
hover
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

Mine is very easy to put on the stand and I have to give it pretty good shove to push it off. I just can't imagine it coming off by itself. I use it in my garage all the time. It's a Wheeldock cs-09 stand for non lowered bike. I love it.

Quick Reply: Do you trust your center stand?