Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**seasoned riders**

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009 | 06:38 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by StreetGlideMedic
I'm not disagreeing with freedom of choice! I've been in the service for 28 years and have fought in three conflicts, served all that time to hopefully protect the freedom of choice and speech you so desire! As long as you're following the law...peace be with you!

You're right...I am entitled to My views...and as long as I'm in the medical field and picking up people off the road or treating them in ERs...and even after I leave the field...My views will remain the same! I will wear My PPE as required by law and the US Military...but not just because of the law...because when the day comes that I do get in an accident...I'll hopefully be protected enough to talk to My children when all is said and done!

When it's your time...it's your time! The "Big Ranger in the Sky" will decide that...but why make it an easier decision?

Nuff Said! Mike
Plenty of us can make our views known without saying how many wars we served in or how much combat we saw. Your being a medic makes your point more valid? As for folllowing the law thats up to me as well. I rode with a former ER doc and a ex Nam medic today does that make me more safe? Plenty of very hard core combat vets as well, does that make our points more valid? Like I said for all riders........Let Those Who Ride DECIDE!
Nuff Said.

Old 04-19-2009 | 08:12 PM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master

Originally Posted by nick@nite
Plenty of us can make our views known without saying how many wars we served in or how much combat we saw. Your being a medic makes your point more valid? As for folllowing the law thats up to me as well. I rode with a former ER doc and a ex Nam medic today does that make me more safe? Plenty of very hard core combat vets as well, does that make our points more valid? Like I said for all riders........Let Those Who Ride DECIDE!
Nuff Said.
LOL...you missed the point...but I'm not surprised! My point is why make it easier to screw yourself up! But you're right...you have a choice...and I said that too! Learn to read and maybe you'll see I said all that!

OK...I went into to much depth...sorry that bugs ya! I never said My background make me more safe...I said, Make yourself more safe! And I am a hardcore combat vet...do'nt let me medic symbol confuse you!

I defend the right to choose...always have! No one is saying ya can't choose...or did I mistate that too...what the majority are trying to say here Mr Nick@Nite is why make it easier to screw yourself up!

Now...instead of stealing My finish line...go play in another thread!

Old 04-19-2009 | 08:32 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Default seasoned riders

Sure there are seasoned riders! Those are the riders with the experience to control their bikes, make good judgement calls while riding, help others while on the road, obey the rules of the road and just all around good people!

What you are is just a guy working his way towards that! Dont' worry about what other people wear. Ride with the knowledge that in case of an accident...you will not have all the road rash they might have...Your noodle with usually be in one piece...and have the piece of mind your chances of surviving an accident has increased over the other guys you saw!

Now...before all the freedoms, liberties, and self rights guys try to go and flame me...HEAR ME NOW! I'm a Medic and a Nurse with more trauma time on the road and in the ER than I care to mention. A well protected rider with correct PPE will always come out of the same comparable incident than an unprotected riders 100% of the time! Now mind you...some incidents are not always survivable...but those that are...your PPE will save your A$$ and SKIN everytime! I've picked up too many "my right to ride without My PPE" guys off the road dead, near dead or without an skin left to the bone!

Now...I'm not saying it's gonna happen...'cause only the "Big Ranger in the Sky" can predict that! Nothing better than having the open air over your uncapped head or letting the wind rush past your body! But, FACTS be FACTS!

Now...Please FLAME me as well as ya can! And I'll tell ya from experience, you're wrong!

Ride Safe, Mike
I won't flame you. I have ridden for 30 some odd years and have ridden without a helmet whenever possible. I've wrecked a time or two, but never been really hurt. I thought I'd rather give up riding than have to wear a helmet, but I finally bought a helmet that fits me right and it really isn't too bad. I still ride without one 98% of the time.
If you ever have to scrape me off the pavement.. well, I'm sorry, but you chose your job and I chose to ride without a helmet.

Old 04-19-2009 | 08:47 PM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master

It's not about picking you up! it's about people making it easier to do damage to yourself! that's all I was saying...prudent choices with you life!

and i understand the choice is yours! The majority of all of us have said the same thing! Protect yourself...don't make injury easier...that's all!

Ride Safer, Mike

Last edited by StreetGlideMedic; 04-19-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-19-2009 | 08:52 PM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master

OK...I feel bad...we really hi-jacked this guys thread! Let's agree to disagree! I hope everyone rides safe and choose wisely!

Ride Safe, Mike

Old 04-19-2009 | 09:33 PM
hep0950
Tourer

Being a seasoned rider has nothing to do with what you wear or or don't wear or who you wave to or don't wave to. Though a seasoned rider has a better chance at not having an accident, they are still at risk. As for as to wear the proper PPE or not, that is and should be the decision of the one who is riding. Sure it is better to wear it, but does it take away his enjoyment of riding, or does it interfere with his riding? That is only something the rider would know.

Life is a risk, riding is a risk. You can minimise the risk some, but it is still a risk. It all depends on how much risk someone is willing to take. The more you think about something happening, the more likely it will happen. Just like if you look down while you are turning your bike instead of looking where you want to go, you will drop your bike. It's great to be aware of the risks and keep them in mind, but not to dwell on them.

Riding is supposed to be fun and enjoyable. I know it cures what ails me and I do not wear leathers all the time, but that is my choice. Everyone has to make their own and be responsible for their own decision. Have a great riding season, keep the shiney side up and the rubber side down and ride like you are invisible. You are.

Old 04-20-2009 | 01:26 AM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member

Salt and pepper a little Accent on a T-Bone steak. A good hot mesquite fire turn after 15 minutes. That is well seasoned. Bon appetit.

Old 04-20-2009 | 02:40 AM
obwhan
Advanced

I think you need to wear, What you think you should. That being said I wear leathers and a 3/4 Helmet. What I don't like, is on these nice days right after winter all the owners/possers are out for the first time in ? By owners I mean the GUYS THAT OWN A BIKE and put on 1200 miles a year and think they are experts at riding. I ride almost every day of year. in all kinds of conditions for over 30 years. and I still dont think I am an Expert/seasoned. I learn every day some thing new on the road.

Old 04-20-2009 | 07:13 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior

LOL...you missed the point...but I'm not surprised! My point is why make it easier to screw yourself up! But you're right...you have a choice...and I said that too! Learn to read and maybe you'll see I said all that!

OK...I went into to much depth...sorry that bugs ya! I never said My background make me more safe...I said, Make yourself more safe! And I am a hardcore combat vet...do'nt let me medic symbol confuse you!

I defend the right to choose...always have! No one is saying ya can't choose...or did I mistate that too...what the majority are trying to say here Mr Nick@Nite is why make it easier to screw yourself up!

Now...instead of stealing My finish line...go play in another thread!
you missed the point...but I'm not surprised! Is that supposed to be an insult? I know how to read and how many times you going to say you are a combat vet, everyone in our pack is a combat vet but we dont have to tell everyone 3 times...........I will not win a war of words not my thing dropped out school to TCB but you can private message me if you would like to discuss you insulting me.

Old 04-21-2009 | 07:23 PM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master

Nah...not gonna take ya up on your invitations to Join you in PM...no use...you still haven't figured out what I'm trying to say but most of the others still do. We all support your right to choose...I support your right to choose...so choose! What we are stating is that those that do wear their PPE...just have a better chance to come out of the incident with less injury if it's not a catastrophic incident.

I'm sorry My background either offends or intimidates you. The first time...I probably overstated...the second time...you opened the door.

I do wish you well...Wish you safe riding.

Mike

Quick Reply: **seasoned riders**