Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**seasoned riders**

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009 | 11:32 AM
mlg911
Cruiser

I agree, whatever makes you feel safe. I don't always wear proper gear and probably should. But no matter when your time is up , your time is up.

Notgrownup, thanks for the post on the accident. my thoughts and prayers go to their familes

Old 04-19-2009 | 12:14 PM
machpilot
Road Captain

its al about choice.....i personaly wear a DOT skid lid, gloves boots, and good set of gloves and my 7eye glasses....i have no problem wearing just a tshirt...but ill be the first to tell you i hate major interstates and usualy roll far right lane and take it really easy....I hate chaps unless its below 45 degres, hate over cumbersome leather jackets in the sumer...to hot...but its all choice...period...ride with what makes you feel comfy..

Originally Posted by BEN-Z
Hi guys,
I just went riding today for almost 2 hrs., and I had so much fun, I also noticed this Harley group riding only with sleeveless shirts and I felt that I was too overdressed compared to them because I was wearing my leather jacket and my full face helmet while those riders were wearing those kind of shirts.
How good are these riders????
Is there really such thing as seasoned riders?
Thanks & have a safe ride!!

Old 04-19-2009 | 03:03 PM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master

Originally Posted by nick@nite
I am the biggest biker rights guy there is, but you are entitled to your views, from experience or education etc.....just so long as you dont force them on me or those who do not agree with you. There are many of us seasoned riders who have been in accidents seen fellow riders killed or maimed etc who still ride without a helmet or leathers....

I always wear my redwings, and kevlar lined jeans but no helmet whenever I can... I am not ready for Hockey Pads and goalie masks when riding, but if it makes someone feel safe go for it....

-----Let Those Who Ride DECIDE...........
I'm not disagreeing with freedom of choice! I've been in the service for 28 years and have fought in three conflicts, served all that time to hopefully protect the freedom of choice and speech you so desire! As long as you're following the law...peace be with you!

You're right...I am entitled to My views...and as long as I'm in the medical field and picking up people off the road or treating them in ERs...and even after I leave the field...My views will remain the same! I will wear My PPE as required by law and the US Military...but not just because of the law...because when the day comes that I do get in an accident...I'll hopefully be protected enough to talk to My children when all is said and done!

When it's your time...it's your time! The "Big Ranger in the Sky" will decide that...but why make it an easier decision?

Nuff Said! Mike

Last edited by StreetGlideMedic; 04-19-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-19-2009 | 03:06 PM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master

Originally Posted by bikergirl40
You can no better determine a 'seasoned' rider by what he/she wears than you can by what they ride. Just doesn't work that way.

You just have to keep in mind ... your hide = your decision on how to protect it.

+1 AMEN to that Bikergirl40!

Ride Safe, Mike

Old 04-19-2009 | 03:49 PM
2003flhtci
Tourer

40+ years riding. I always wear my leather jacket, gloves, full face helmet and steel toe boots. If the temp is triple-digits I might take off the leather jacket. But when it gets that hot I usually find someplace to sit for a while 'til the weather cools off (i.e. after sunset), then get in the wind again.

I cringe when I see someone riding in shorts and sandals or athletic shoes. I can only assume they've never fallen down. And I feel sorry for the ones with their ladies on the back in shorts or bikinis or whatever...don't they know that if they fall over for ANY reason, those beautiful legs will NEVER BE BEAUTIFUL AGAIN...EVER? I always wonder if the ladies realize it either.

Old 04-19-2009 | 05:06 PM
TXGlide
Advanced

I absolutely agree it is (and always should be) personal choice.

MY personal choice is ATTGATT now after wearing a short sleeve t-shirt (and helmet/gloves/boots) and hitting a deer at 70 MPH. I was blessed that only the skin on my arms will never be the same...

Attached Thumbnails **seasoned riders**-road_rash.jpg  
Old 04-19-2009 | 05:48 PM
rbabos
Banned

I'd sooner get up , dust myself off than spend the next few month in pain growing new skin. Hell , just started wearing gloves as I'm sick of bees ending up in my sleeves of my leather jacket.
Ron

Old 04-19-2009 | 05:51 PM
AlCherry
Road Warrior

After all of the rain we had yesterday, my roads dried enough to get out for a ride. (1 1/2 miles of unimproved roads to the highway) I put on my Simpson helmet, my Simpson gloves, my denim jacket, had my steel toes and jeans. I didn't used to ride on the street that way; until I had a close call with a hay bale a few months ago. I've had incedents and accidents in the past, but for some reason, THAT HAY BALE SCARED ME. I wear the same PPE to ride my EGC as I do my dragbike, sans the leathers, except for winter (chaps and leather jacket). I still believe in freedom of choice, and I'm not going to be one of those preachers. Just my choice. Maybe it's my age........

Old 04-19-2009 | 06:19 PM
rapz
Road Captain

I only ride about 15K miles per year, but I wear a full face flip up helmet and jacket. I do ride with just jeans.

Old 04-19-2009 | 06:33 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member

I too am guilty of not wearing the proper equipment. About the only PPE I don't wear when not on base is the jacket. I always wear long pants gloves over the ankle boots and a 3/4 helmet no matter what. It is just too dang hot sometimes to wear a jacket. In the summer time I will wear my first gear ballistic mesh jacket on post as it is a requirement.

Quick Reply: **seasoned riders**