Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**seasoned riders**

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009 | 08:47 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by BEN-Z
Hi guys,
I just went riding today for almost 2 hrs., and I had so much fun, I also noticed this Harley group riding only with sleeveless shirts and I felt that I was too overdressed compared to them because I was wearing my leather jacket and my full face helmet while those riders were wearing those kind of shirts.
How good are these riders????
Is there really such thing as seasoned riders?
Thanks & have a safe ride!!
Don't know how to answer, but here goes..

I have been riding since I was 8. I ride with as little protection asp but do use sunscreen. I'm 50. Does that make me stupid? Maybe, but I'll die a happy man.

D

Old 04-18-2009 | 08:54 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member

I always wear my helmet and leathers,and don't worring about the guys with doo rags and sleeveless shirts, their choice. If the choose not to wave, so what? Besides when I stop and do take my jacket off, The muscles pop out

Old 04-18-2009 | 08:56 PM
krwould
Club Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by gunner11
I always wear my helmet and leathers,and don't worring about the guys with doo rags and sleeveless shirts, their choice. If the choose not to wave, so what? Besides when I stop and do take my jacket off, The muscles pop out
My muscles are built into the jacket!!! Hehe!!!

Old 04-18-2009 | 09:03 PM
NW08FLHR
6th Gear

SGMedic speaks wise words.....

I consider myself a seasoned rider with around 100K on two wheels, but it only takes one trip to the pavement to really appreciate the gear you're wearing, or the realization that you didn't dress for the occasion. Some of the folks I ride with have more miles than can probably be counted, and many of them have gone down at one point or another, whether it was something they did, or just being in the wrong place at the wrong time....

I've been considering purchasing a new jacket from the FXRG line. Ventilation to keep you cool when needed, and lots of protection plates in the elbows, back, etc. It's expensive gear, but a lot cheaper than the medical bills for skin grafts, etc.

More importantly.....do what's comfortable for you, not what everyone else is doing. I cringe at the sight of those people in shorts and flip flops crusing down the freeway.....

Wishing you many happy miles with the rubber side down and the shiney side up...

Old 04-18-2009 | 09:05 PM
wing_rdr
Cruiser

This is another one of those areas where personal preferences and personal choice override what anyone else does. Personally, I and any of my passengers wear protective clothing and a helmet whenever we are on the bike but I would not criticize anyone who chooses not to. As a motorcylce riding instructor I always tell my beginner students that it is always better to dress for the "get off" and not for the ride. Road rash is not very much fun and can be downright painful.

Old 04-18-2009 | 09:10 PM
NavyPT
Road Master

I've come to appreciate the value of cordura for protection in both cold and warm weather. I've road tested them a few years back and now swear by it.

Old 04-18-2009 | 09:29 PM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master

Originally Posted by ko4qc
If I were that worried about crashing,I would sell the bike and hide in my bedroom closet....:>)
I never worry about crashing! But ya know...I'm prepared if I do!

Ride Safe and Choose Wisely! Mike

Old 04-18-2009 | 09:36 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dallastx
Don't know how to answer, but here goes..

I have been riding since I was 8. I ride with as little protection asp but do use sunscreen. I'm 50. Does that make me stupid? Maybe, but I'll die a happy man.

D
Stupid, not neccessarily ... Lucky or very fortunate ... is more like it...and the same goes for the many who choose to wear full leathers and haven't had a mishap either.

Although, you have every right to wear what you feel comfortable with ... you have to remember, in the event of a mishap or serious accident ... you may not die, but only wish you had.

Last edited by bikergirl40; 04-18-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-18-2009 | 09:43 PM
poppa cooter
Tourer

check this out it shows where impact generally happens by percentage. man alot of it is in the mouth and chin yikes!!!!

Attached Thumbnails **seasoned riders**-impacts.jpg  
Old 04-18-2009 | 09:47 PM
poppa cooter
Tourer

Originally Posted by krwould
My muscles are built into the jacket!!! Hehe!!!
my wife says all my muscles are in my belly i don't get it =D

Quick Reply: **seasoned riders**