Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My pipes are too loud. Recommend something else.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 07:37 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Before you go spending a lot of jack on a new set of mufflers, you might try putting a lollipop baffle in front of your mufflers. I rode my bike 53k miles with Samsons and the stock headpipes. At 53k, I put on V&H Duals with the same mufflers. The bike was louder. I added the baffles as a tuning aid, but also noticed that it quitened the exhaust a good bit, especially at interstate speeds.

Attached Thumbnails My pipes are too loud. Recommend something else.-imag0060.jpg   My pipes are too loud. Recommend something else.-lollipop-2.jpg  
Old 04-18-2009, 07:45 AM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can buy some Rush mufflers and work with different baffles. They have a nice deep sound regardless of which size of baffle you use. I'd be willing to bet that you'd be very happy with the 1 3/4" baffles. It makes a difference what size your engine is too. I've got the 2 1/2" baffles on an 88 and it's loud but doesn't have that sharp crack like they do on a 96" engine. My friend put a set of Rush slip ons with 2" baffles on his 96" and it's got a low kind of a hushed sound, He loves it and it does sound good. Rush makes a good qauality product and if you shop around you can find decent pricing on them.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:54 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to hijack but - Those "lolipop" baffles bring back memories! I had a set of those on my first bike, a Honda 305 Scrambler. The pipes ran up the side of the bike and the mufflers were removed but those baffles were installed. It worked like a charm and you could go from open pipes to quiet pipes quickly. Those baffles were more like washers inside with a hole in the middle though. Mine was a "hand me down" from my older brother and was a really nice turquoise blue color.
-

Old 04-18-2009, 07:57 AM
Dirt-Kid
Advanced

I wonder if the Vance and Hines ovals would have been ok for you if you did not have the true duals? I'm still in decision on what slip-on to buy for my bike,won't be using true duals my self cuz I prefer the 09 head set-up.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:05 AM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RODEO
Not to hijack but - Those "lolipop" baffles bring back memories! I had a set of those on my first bike, a Honda 305 Scrambler. The pipes ran up the side of the bike and the mufflers were removed but those baffles were installed. It worked like a charm and you could go from open pipes to quiet pipes quickly. Those baffles were more like washers inside with a hole in the middle though. Mine was a "hand me down" from my older brother and was a really nice turquoise blue color.
-
Man did you ever bring back memories! I had one of those!

Old 04-18-2009, 08:17 AM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Does muffler packing material make any difference?

Old 04-18-2009, 08:19 AM
Anthony8858
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dirt-Kid
I wonder if the Vance and Hines ovals would have been ok for you if you did not have the true duals? I'm still in decision on what slip-on to buy for my bike,won't be using true duals my self cuz I prefer the 09 head set-up.
I put the TD on the same time as the Ovals, so I couldn't tell you. But I would have to guess that the True Duals are making the Ovals even louder.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:35 AM
OldArmy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That solution looks very interesting. Can you give a bit more information? I dearly love my Rineharts for the middle-aged crazy stuff but it does get old on the highway. Additionally I have a need to be quieter, especially when cranking up and riding out in the early morning. Seems they are something that could be cranked both ways depending on need?

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
Before you go spending a lot of jack on a new set of mufflers, you might try putting a lollipop baffle in front of your mufflers. I rode my bike 53k miles with Samsons and the stock headpipes. At 53k, I put on V&H Duals with the same mufflers. The bike was louder. I added the baffles as a tuning aid, but also noticed that it quitened the exhaust a good bit, especially at interstate speeds.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:29 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

OldArmy,

They really simple....Just 1" washers welded on a 1/4" bolt stem. You could use larger washers for more "baffle" if you wanted to. I cut a slot in the bottom of the stem so I could tell which way they were turned in the pipe and turn them with a screwdriver to adjust them.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:53 AM
uweldit
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try the SE slipons, 64985-07A.

Quick Reply: My pipes are too loud. Recommend something else.