Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV Void Harley Manufacturers Warranty??

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 09:52 AM
OBhitn3
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV Void Harley Manufacturers Warranty??

I would like to get a sense of what others have been finding? My Stealer told me if I install my PCV, it will Void my warranty for "runability" issues???

The are trying to force a $500 SERT down my throat.

How do we fight this? Tey also said, if we take it off when we bring it back into the dealer, they can see that the ECM was updated? Is this True? Any way to ge around this?

Old 04-17-2009, 10:00 AM
Phurion
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell them to look up the "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act".

Specifically this:

Requirements:

Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty.[2]
They're just trying to scare you and make a buck off ya by selling you the SERT.

Last edited by Phurion; 04-17-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:06 AM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

strongarm sales tactic as Phurion above pointed out. BTW, welcome and post a pic of your scoot when you can

Old 04-17-2009, 11:37 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

read the fine print in your warranty, they probably have a clause in it to protect themselves. GREEDY BASTARDS HD

Last edited by leohd; 04-17-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:08 PM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Warranty against runability issues"...... of course H-D is not going to warranty an issue if it is associated with a non- harley part!

Old 04-17-2009, 12:08 PM
wkenddad
Tourer

Unfortunately the "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" will not completely protect you from a voided warranty by adding the PCV.
It is not a non-OEM replacement but an addition that modifies the manufacturers specifications as to fuel/air mixture etc.
The "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" was for people that went to their local auto parts store and purchased non-OEM brake pads and such. These were direct replacements for the OEM parts.
The PCV modifies the manufacturers specifications and any damage reulting from the operation out of the manufacturers specs can void the warranty if they can prove that the part caused the problem.
For instance; if you install the PCV and the map sets the air/fuel mixture too lean or too rich and that causes the problem, it would not be covered under warranty.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:43 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by wkenddad
Unfortunately the "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" will not completely protect you from a voided warranty by adding the PCV.
It is not a non-OEM replacement but an addition that modifies the manufacturers specifications as to fuel/air mixture etc.
The "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" was for people that went to their local auto parts store and purchased non-OEM brake pads and such. These were direct replacements for the OEM parts.
The PCV modifies the manufacturers specifications and any damage reulting from the operation out of the manufacturers specs can void the warranty if they can prove that the part caused the problem.
For instance; if you install the PCV and the map sets the air/fuel mixture too lean or too rich and that causes the problem, it would not be covered under warranty.
As a part of that act the first thing that they have to PROVE is that your after-market part caused the damage.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:47 PM
txbazzman
Advanced

But the reality is more likely that you will have to prove that the PCV did not cause the damage

Old 04-17-2009, 12:53 PM
DoomBuggy
Road Master

If you read the material that comes with the SERT it clearly says it too voids your warranty! I know I was surprised when I read the package on mine. It states for RACE USE ONLY.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:02 PM
WADELL
Cruiser

HD dealers also sell the PCV. Ask them if they install it if the dealer voids the warrenty.

Quick Reply: PCV Void Harley Manufacturers Warranty??