Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV Void Harley Manufacturers Warranty??

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 06:56 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ftanner
If you're that frightened and think your warranty will be automatically voided, you might want to take all of that stuff of your trike....

But then by your logic, you have no more warranty on it anyhow based on your grocery list.

First off Im not not frightened, But common sense and having the financial means to support a lawyer for his time to fight Harley along with the aggrivation made me realize it wasnt worth it to me. Also not all HD dealers are willing to help riders and those who are disabled

Second, You cant just take off a trike kit and the reverse gear.

My warranty issue had nothing to do with the kit or the reverse gear. But because I had modifed the bike Myrtle Beach HD told Harley corprate about my bike, the VIN # was entered into the main data base to void me from any warranty claims, except for Government recalls to be repaired under warranty

I will say that if I would have known that the dealer here in Myrtle Beach was going to screw me over ( BTW they knew me and my situation with having a prosthetic leg ) I would have taken it up to Maryland to have it repaired were I bought the bike new. They would have fixed it without any problem for me.

What your selling dealer will do for you and what another dealer will do for you is were that problem lies with the Warranty and extended warranty

Also if you decide to cancel your extended warranty, They will charge you a $100 administration fee to send your money back to you via the dealer who sold it to you

Last edited by FLTR2008TRIKE; 04-18-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:41 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by wkenddad
Unfortunately the "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" will not completely protect you from a voided warranty by adding the PCV.
It is not a non-OEM replacement but an addition that modifies the manufacturers specifications as to fuel/air mixture etc.
The "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" was for people that went to their local auto parts store and purchased non-OEM brake pads and such. These were direct replacements for the OEM parts.
The PCV modifies the manufacturers specifications and any damage reulting from the operation out of the manufacturers specs can void the warranty if they can prove that the part caused the problem.
For instance; if you install the PCV and the map sets the air/fuel mixture too lean or too rich and that causes the problem, it would not be covered under warranty.
I think this is a correct assessment. If the PCV can be proven to be a direct cause of a failure they could deny warranty for the related part(s). OTOH I have never heard of this happening, and apart from running rich or lean enough to cause engine damage there would be obvious indicators far in advance.

To the OP, their suggestion that the PCV will mark its presence even if removed is untrue unless a fault code is generated. It works downstream of the ECM which has otherwise no awareness of its presence. If a code is thrown and not cleared it would be readable by the dealer or anyone else. In 2½ years of running a PCIII and now a PCV-AT I've never had a fault code show up on this bike, and there have been only a few reported here, mostly or entirely from improper installations like failure to install O2 sensors, etc.

Last edited by iclick; 04-18-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:46 PM
uweldit
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ftanner,

Touting the MM act ain't going to get the problems fixed if u modify the bike. Don't think that it's easy to fight the MoCo on warranty items, cuz it's not. They have the Engineering Staff that can make anything appear to be your fault.

No flame intended, but MM is not the do-all some may feel it is.

Misrepresenting what you have done to your bike at the dealership for repair is Fraud.

M&M Act was designed for automotive non-OEM replacement parts like brake shoes, wipers, alternators etc.

Last edited by uweldit; 04-19-2009 at 12:52 PM.