Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV Void Harley Manufacturers Warranty??

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ftanner is correct. It is the manufacturer's responsiblity to provide proof that the part caused the failure to be absolved of liability. And the manufacturer can say the SERT voids the warranty on the box, it can say that your dealer is your best friend, and it can say that you married a trophy wife. They can print anything they want to on the box, but that doesn't change federal law. They are simply trying to limit liability at the advice of their counsel.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:31 PM
corcon
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer told me this morning that a sert voids the warrenty but if I have them set it up they turn a blind eye on warrenty issues.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:50 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I delt with Harley about a warranty issue when my trike had 1700 miles on it last year. To put it in a nut shell, Harley states " that if any aftermarket modification is done to the bike pertaining to the drivetrain, exhaust, frame, wheels and electrical system will void the manufactures warranty"

Just remember that Harley has deep pockets and theyre own lawyer team to fight you

Old 04-17-2009, 01:58 PM
2WheelThrill
Tourer

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
I delt with Harley about a warranty issue when my trike had 1700 miles on it last year. To put it in a nut shell, Harley states " that if any aftermarket modification is done to the bike pertaining to the drivetrain, exhaust, frame, wheels and electrical system will void the manufactures warranty"

Just remember that Harley has deep pockets and theyre own lawyer team to fight you
Right or wrong, my dealer tells me that if I buy my parts/get service from them, I won't have any warranty issues.

I guess this would make sense as their service department would have to get an approved work order from HD and if all my parts money runs through the dealer, then everyone is happy (dealer and corporate).

I guess that is just what we are faced with, or you take your chances.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:04 PM
2003flhtci
Tourer

Originally Posted by 2WheelThrill
Right or wrong, my dealer tells me that if I buy my parts/get service from them, I won't have any warranty issues.
Just be sure you get that from them in writing...signed.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:11 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wkenddad
Unfortunately the "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" will not completely protect you from a voided warranty by adding the PCV.
It is not a non-OEM replacement but an addition that modifies the manufacturers specifications as to fuel/air mixture etc.
The "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" was for people that went to their local auto parts store and purchased non-OEM brake pads and such. These were direct replacements for the OEM parts.
The PCV modifies the manufacturers specifications and any damage reulting from the operation out of the manufacturers specs can void the warranty if they can prove that the part caused the problem.
For instance; if you install the PCV and the map sets the air/fuel mixture too lean or too rich and that causes the problem, it would not be covered under warranty.
PLus one, and also the comment that harley has great lawyers and deep pockets.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:18 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE

Good lawyers or not, the law is the law.

In addition, THEY have to take into account the black eye that they would get reputation-wise for screwing someone over. I've seen dealerships back down and follow the law when threatened to be "exposed" on their enthusiast forums for violating the law to void someone's warranty.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:23 PM
DaltonHD
Cruiser

I would have to support Moco on this one ( it is a critical component). If the dealer installs it they'll stand behind it. Otherwise, your problem (assuming PC related).

Old 04-17-2009, 02:24 PM
2WheelThrill
Tourer

Originally Posted by ftanner
Good lawyers or not, the law is the law.

In addition, THEY have to take into account the black eye that they would get reputation-wise for screwing someone over. I've seen dealerships back down and follow the law when threatened to be "exposed" on their enthusiast forums for violating the law to void someone's warranty.
And given the state of today's economic times, I'm sure HD wants to keep their faithful riders happy.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:26 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

typical harley B S they try that with there cheap oil products too and people

reall are scared of harley kinda funny i know some real big bikers yet harley

tells them dont use any oil but harley or we will void your warrenty -ride safe

Quick Reply: PCV Void Harley Manufacturers Warranty??