Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 vs 09 ABS Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Open Road
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 vs 09 ABS Brakes

I've saw several comments where riders thought the ABS activated quicker than it should (while still in a controlled stop). Just found this over the CVO forum:

With the Harley ABS 09 version you should get all your stopping power from the front brake. You have to learn to do a full panic stop with front brake only to get the shortest stop. It takes some practice because it is hard to get your brain to allow you to do a full shut down of your front brake at 50 MPH. Your rear brake should only get input caused by inertia driving your toes forward on your brake pedal. With the ABS you can do a full panic stop on sand, dirt, or even gravel with front brake only. We should all practice that.
For those of us with 08 models you need to go back to the dealer and get the 09 download to your 08 ABS. The 07 and 08 ABS was set to cut in too early and the ABS activated while you are still in a controlled stop. The result was longer stopping time. The 09 download was released to the dealers on Dec 10th of 2008 and is a free warranty download. Harley doesn't advertise the upgrade but it is a must for the kind of riding we all do.
The guys that teach the ERC have to teach for all bikes and their mandates are different. Harley ABS really requires some different information to get the most out of the system. You really don't want to apply equal pressure during your stops, you transition front to rear and get your hands off the front brake at walking speed if you don't want to learn how to pick up your bike. Also, making a stop shorter by 6 or 8 feet doesn't sound like much unless that same 6 or 8 feet is taken up by a Dodge pickup loaded with bricks.
Feel free to share this if you wish.

I thought it might be helpful to those riding 08 models.......

Old 04-16-2009, 01:23 PM
keltonkrew
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so if I bought my 09 in September of 08, do I have the 08 or 09 download?

Old 04-16-2009, 01:35 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is there a recall for 08 Models to get the latest ABS software ?

Old 04-16-2009, 02:10 PM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Open Road
The 07 and 08 ABS was set to cut in too early and the ABS activated while you are still in a controlled stop.
I don't remember there being ABS in '07. Wasn't it introduced in '08??

Old 04-16-2009, 02:25 PM
NoBoldRider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why would I want to use the front brake only? The ABS controls both front and rear, independantly. I would think I could use both to get the shortest stopping distance. Both tires stopping me should be more efficient than only the front.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:09 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

It would be interesting to see what the 2009 owner's manual says about using the abs brakes! With a long wheelbase bike like a big twin the rear wheel has a lot to offer when applying the brakes plural.

I have owned a BMW with abs for over a decade now. Admittedly abs technology has moved on in the meantime, but I cannot make it cut in, using the brakes 'normally'. I certainly ain't about to try teaching myself to use only the front, just to get the 'best' out of it.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:19 PM
keltonkrew
Road Master

I belive the owners manual states to apply both brakes. I'd have to read it again and watch the dvd that came with it but if I recall correctly, it stated to apply both brakes.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:23 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
It would be interesting to see what the 2009 owner's manual says about using the abs brakes! With a long wheelbase bike like a big twin the rear wheel has a lot to offer when applying the brakes plural.

I have owned a BMW with abs for over a decade now. Admittedly abs technology has moved on in the meantime, but I cannot make it cut in, using the brakes 'normally'. I certainly ain't about to try teaching myself to use only the front, just to get the 'best' out of it.
Exactly.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:48 PM
AUSTEX RKC
Advanced

I have mixed feelings about the ABS on my 2008 RKC. I really like it when I get caught in the rain. But I have had it activate prematurely on downhill controlled stops or if there is a washboard at the intersection caused by heavy trucks. Scared the snot out of me couple of times. I will check with my HD dealer next time I’m there to see what they have to say about the download issue. As someone above indicated I don’t think ABS was offered until 2008 but I could be wrong.

GG

Old 04-16-2009, 06:02 PM
keltonkrew
Road Master

my 09 will kick in on the rough/washboard type road at stop signs....

Quick Reply: 08 vs 09 ABS Brakes