Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 vs 09 ABS Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 09:11 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

ABS could indeed become another 'oil' or 'tyre' topic! In my experience of my BMW the only effect it has had on my ownership is a big bill to have it repaired, because of an electronic failure. I have ridden the socks off the thing without it ever activating, so I am not a fan.

By contrast with the front wheel only braking I bought my first Harley new in 1974. The handbook actually recommended using the rear brake only for light braking. I never took that advice, as it seems as muddled as using the front only!

I hope you all use both brakes? Here in the UK a friend watched a BMW slide down the road and stopped to help the rider. Turned out he was American on a hire bike, had used the rear brake only and locked up. Sends a shiver up my spine thinking of that....

Old 04-17-2009, 10:47 AM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Twinrider
That's not the case at all Jonny. I've been a huge ABS fan since 2002 and have had it on three BMWs and my Yamaha. Works fantastic on those bikes and it's VERY DIFFICULT to activate the ABS even under hard braking.

But on the Harley all it takes to trigger the ABS is hitting a bump while only moderately using the brakes, then the bike lurches forward instead of slowing down.

Harley needs to recalibrate the ABS because now it activates much too easily.
You may be correct, but on "your" Harley, and it sounds like others are experiencing it as well. I have had non of the symptoms you refer to, but again, mines an 08.

I was mearly saying that people who don't have ABS, see/hear people with it, complaining and nit-picking at every aspect of it's operation. If Harley over-worked a few of the sytems on the 09's and there's a problem, get it in and have it fixed.

I have had to brake hard on many occasions, and the ABS hasn't kicked in yet, nor has the bike lost traction yet. Now, going over bumps and braking is just the nature of the beast. Most of the bumps your referring to when cornering are referred to as braking bumps; pavement rippled under braking from vehicles doing it over and over again. In the NW, we have a lot of them as blacktop pavement is used more than concrete.

If you plan on riding your bike in a road racing fashion, be prepared for run-ins with these bumps; and even under normal riding conditions be aware. Your back tire is in fact losing traction, all be it minimal, it is enough to send a message to your ABS module that you've lost traction and the ABS does it's job.

Even my cars ABS has kicked in over these bumps, but I can push it harder into corners and feel more comfortable; why? because it has 4 wheels and a cage around it, air bags, seat belts, etc etc.....

If you feel your ABS has problems have it checked and keep testing it until they get it to your liking. Good luck!

Old 04-17-2009, 04:34 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

None of my other bikes's ABS kicks in while I'm braking over bumps, only my FLHR. Had the ABS checked at the dealer yesterday and it is indeed the latest calibration so no re-flash needed. Guess that's just the nature of the beast.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:22 PM
wagsrk08
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Come to think of it, my ABS kicks in every time I apply the brakes hard. Normal braking they do not. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Reminds me of my car ABS come to think of it.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:45 PM
bsea
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ajay450
I have to disagree with those that say ABS is not a good option. I don't know about Harley's versus BMW or others but I don't think there is any way someone can sense when a tire is close to locking up better than the computer. I can see where if you come to a washbord section of road that with unweighting of the bike that ABS might kick in but it should release when it hits the next rise in pavement. Whatever. I once went down on wet pavement because of a lock up of the front wheel. Fortunately I was not going too fast, maybe 15-20 mph, and I suffered no injuries. The point I want to make is that I went down in a blink of an eye. I was down before I knew what was happening. ABS may not work perfectly under every conceivable condition but chance of a panic stop just at the time of hitting a washboard is a risk I will take to be covered under all other conditions.
I did the same with a rear wheel lock up. No injuries, but enough for me to decide that it was time to get ABS. Got it on the new bike and never looked back.

Bill

Old 04-18-2009, 08:09 PM
JJAA
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sa315b
i’ve been slammed more than once because of my dislike for abs if the motor company offered the 09 sg in white i would buy one in a heartbeat just to get away from abs.

The abs on both the front and rear brakes activate too early. Just this afternoon i applied rear only, i was nowhere near locking up and almost as soon as i hit the brake the pedal popped up once and the brake went away completely.
+1

jj

Old 04-18-2009, 09:14 PM
Open Road
Road Captain

To respond to the first four or five posts after my initial post......

As indicated, the new download was delivered to the dealerships in Dec. 08 so if you received your 09 model year bike before that, you might want to take it to your dealership just to make sure that you've got the upgrade.

No, the MoCo is not doing a recall but all the dealerships have been notified to do the upgrade as a warranty issue, free to the owner.

Yes, you are supposed to apply both back and front brake when stopping on the 09s.

In short, if you're not sure, talk to the service dept. of your favorite dealership.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:27 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SA315B
I’ve been slammed more than once because of my dislike for ABS If the Motor Company offered the 09 SG in white I would buy one in a heartbeat just to get away from ABS.

The ABS on both the front and rear brakes activate too early. Just this afternoon I applied rear only, I was nowhere near locking up and almost as soon as I hit the brake the pedal popped up once and the brake went away completely.
Well then quit doing that. The front brakes on abs are the key. The weight transfer to the front is the key to stopping these heavy bikes. Grabbing a handful of front brake in a emergency is not what most people do. But with abs the front brake does most of the work and the rear just helps. If you use the rear in stop and go traffic that's ok or at slow speeds. If your not using the front it's not the abs's fault.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:23 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trock
Well then quit doing that. The front brakes on abs are the key. The weight transfer to the front is the key to stopping these heavy bikes. Grabbing a handful of front brake in a emergency is not what most people do. But with abs the front brake does most of the work and the rear just helps. If you use the rear in stop and go traffic that's ok or at slow speeds. If your not using the front it's not the abs's fault.
You gotta read into his post a little more.

He was applying the rear in a normal controlled stop, no panic about it. The ABS came on for no good reason and the brakes just dissapear. My bike does the same thing. Drag the rear brake as you come up to a stop light, if there is the slightest bump or ripple in the road the ABS comes on and all of a sudden you aint going to stop in time.

My bike did the same thing.....until that fuse got pulled.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:18 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkingking

My bike did the same thing.....until that fuse got pulled.
Disabled the rear only? How is the braking performance now? Do you get a warning light flashing all the time?

Quick Reply: 08 vs 09 ABS Brakes