Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: To extended warranty or not......
Get the extended warranty and get all you can...
44.90%
Get a lesser extended warranty....
6.12%
Don't get an extended warranty...
15.31%
Extended warranties aren't worth the price you pay for them...
35.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

extended warranty or not

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 06:50 PM
oley55
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SteveB FLH
I have 25,000 miles on my '07 currently and opted not to go with extended warranty....Either way it is a gamble and I am betting that all will be good plus I do all my service work and save all receipts.
ditto, an o7 with 27K and the warranty expires in June. Except for a computer/electrical failure I'll fix it my self. 9 times out of 10, you never use the extended and the insurance company still needs a FED bail out. wtf

Old 04-15-2009, 07:01 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Extended warranty is a great idea for some that have no wrenching ability... I have already done so many mods on my 08 with 7K on it The Moco would probably refuse to recognize warranty if needed it ..

Old 04-15-2009, 08:38 PM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

I just purchased a new Street Glide, most likely will get the 3 year extension for a total of 5 years, keep in mind I usually do not keep my bikes past 5 years. Last warranty 6 years total, paid for itself twice over easy. Different results for everyone.

There should be more choices in the poll:

Extended warranty is an expensive policy just for piece of mind....I think its a great idea but it should cost less............

Or:

Extended warranty is not worth the initial cost but it sure saves yer A$$ if something goes wrong........

Last edited by 103Eagle; 04-15-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:27 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Every time I brought my '96 RK in for service, it cost me anywhere between $5-800. I bought the warranty. The big one. The one that puts you up for the night if you're more than 100 miles from home. Tire and rim replacement, food and transportation per diem, the whole nine.

If the bike breaks down, I'm on vacation.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:49 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

As said it's good insurance cuz anything even remotely serious goes wrong the warranty instantly pays for itself just ONE time.

I log 30k a year so over the 7 yr warranty that's well over 200,000 miles... I'm bound to need at least SOMETHING done on the bike by then, eh? So for me it's a no-brainer.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:53 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Couldn't wait to get away from the STEALER, so i could get my bike to an independent shop. They STOLE enough from me already!!!

Old 04-16-2009, 06:54 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,148 Likes on 3,669 Posts

My 07 FLHTC's warranty ends in July and i and buying 2 extra years. $950.00 i will be at about 35K so i think it's a good thing...I plan on keeping the bike for another 2 years then trade. I have brought it in twice for minor warranty work already but would'v cost about $600.00

Old 04-16-2009, 06:56 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

I have bought many new bikes and cars over the years. Once I make the purchase, I have never gone back to the dealer for any maintenance. I do all the oil changes and recommended maintenance myself, cars and bikes. If there was ever something wrong that I couldn't handle, I would use a local independent. I 'm sure there are many real good HD mechanics, but have always heard the bad stories of leaving the dealer with a ding or scratch, a bolt that wasn't tightened or a loose muffler...Don't get me wrong, this could happen at an independant too.

I've saved thousands over the years by not buying extended warrantees, but there's two sides to every story. I've been very lucky over the years and never had any major problems with my vehicles. All it takes is one major problem and I guess I'd be thankful that I bought the extended warranty. It's a gamble, and I feel I'm ahead of the game. Spend the money if you feel you need the comfort level. HD is betting nothing will happen to your purchase and they'll pocket some free cash, you are betting that something will happen.

Last edited by ElectraGlideSteve; 04-16-2009 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:01 AM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

buy a 50$ service manual instead, the tire warrenty might be worth it but the rest is not IMO, also...you said its not even a year old yet, which means you still have one year till the factory warrenty runs out, i would really wait to see if you start having problems within the next year than dropin all the cash....

Old 04-16-2009, 07:43 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mark10
its an insurance policy. so do you have home insurance? do you have collision? do you have comprehensive? how about medical?

if somebody told you that the chance of your house burning down was so slim that insurance wasn't neccessasry, would you drop it.
It is a gamble, I've been lucky without buying the extended warrantees. I do have home insurance, my house is worth 400k not 15k. I will suffer a greater loss by something happening to my house. In addition, my house insurance is not a maintenance warranty. I cannot use my insurance if my roof needs reshingling or my furnace fails. I do have fire theft and collision on my bike, but the HD waranty doesn't cover that stuff right? You are not comparing apples to apples.

Last edited by ElectraGlideSteve; 04-16-2009 at 09:52 AM.

Quick Reply: extended warranty or not