Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Wrench Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 01:52 PM
cbears
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Wrench Question

I've been riding for a long time but haven't spent a lot of time working on my machines myself. I'd like to change that and start working on my Harley's myself. I've purchased the 2009 touring service manual. I also bought a bunch of new Craftsman tools. I'm fairly capable mechanically as I've done some work in the past on cars, my house and a bit on my past motorcycles, but not real extensively.

In the past, I've never worried about the proper torque on stuff, but in reading the service manual, I'm seeing that Harleys have a torque setting for everything. Some in inches, some in feet. I'd like to buy a torque wrench and do all the stuff correctly. I went to Sears and on eBay looking at torque wrenches and there are just so many options. Of course I could buy some horribly expensive Snap-On wrench that probably does everything but was wondering if you all had some experience to help me out. I'd like a good quality wrench that's going to last for a while being used only moderately. It would also need to be able to measure most any torque I'd need to my Harleys.

If there are any other out-of-the-ordinary tools that I might need to do every-day stuff on my bikes, tell me that also.

Help please? Thank You!

Old 04-15-2009, 01:58 PM
tencrore
Tourer

As far as torque wrenches are concerned, I have had no problems with the Craftsman brand. Surprisingly, they are still made here in the U.S. I have both the ft-lb & the in-lb. Proper care of the torque wrench will increase the time between re-calibration. I always store them back in their cases when not in use.

As far as other tools, I have not come across anything extraordinary that one wouldn't have in their mechanic's tool set, although I am sure that I will find something new to purchase downrange!

Hope this helps.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:02 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

craftsman are ok

Old 04-15-2009, 02:11 PM
molsen
Road Master

I have inch and low ft as well. Clicker style with easy to read numbers. Works aok.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:17 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the inch and foot pound Craftsman torque wrenches and they've worked great for me.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:26 PM
cbears
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by molsen
I have inch and low ft as well. Clicker style with easy to read numbers. Works aok.
So, you don't have to go with the expensive digital ones then? That's good to know. Are there any torque wrenches in sleeper brands out there that don't cost an arm and leg or do you just get what you pay for. I don't mind paying the money if that's what it takes to get a good one, heck riding a Harley proves we don't mind paying some $$$ to get the best, right? If I can save a few bucks and still have a decent tool though, I'd like to.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:32 PM
2003flhtci
Tourer

I have both Craftsman and Kobalt (which I bought at Lowe's)...no problems with either one. If I were you I'd keep watching Sears for on-sale wrenches. And don't forget to reset the wrench to zero before you store it...

Old 04-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Craftsman are reasonably priced and do go on sale every now and then.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:44 PM
molsen
Road Master

I paid 80 for my inch pound and 90 for my low ft lb one both on sale. Go on-line. A lot of times they are on sale.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:53 PM
woods
Cruiser

I have been collecting tools over many years.
Most of my basic hand tools are Craftsman because they are cheap and easy to replace if broken.
I have been using Craftsman dial torque wrenches for ever and upgraded to a clicker style this last year. I did some research and found the new Craftsman torque wrenches are junk so I looked elsewhere.
"Google Torque Wrench" You will have plenty to read.
Ended up getting a nice 250 lb clicker Proto off E-bay for under $45.00 shipped to my door.
I would not be not as concerned for the accuracy of the wrench(120 lbs being 120 lbs) as I am for the consistancy of the torque settings on the wrench. If the true settings on the wrench are off by 5% is not as important as making sure it is consistantly 5% off while torquing everything down.
There will also be different settings between wet and dry torquing. You will almost always need to use some sort of lube (oil) but the book may not say that.
Starting to ramble. Hope this was of some help.
Ken

Last edited by woods; 04-15-2009 at 02:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Torque Wrench Question