Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Laydown License Plate

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 09:41 PM
MarkThomas
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Laydown License Plate

I posted this up in the DIY sticky, but after having just done this mod 5 minutes ago, I wanted to post it here to make sure you all see it. Literally took me 10 minutes and the only tools I used were a socket, a screwdriver, and a drill. And no one on here has less mechanical aptitude than I do...this is easy!

Instead of using a punch like the website says to use, I just started with a very small drill bit and worked my way slowly up to a 5/8" drillbit, drilling at a 45-degree angle the whole time.

The only "issue" I had was that once I mounted the laydown license plate bracket, the nut heads stick out a bit in their new position so the license plate doesn't lay flat against the bracket. I remedied this by pushing a screwdriver across the back of the plate and bending the top of the plate towards the bracket...problem solved.

Here is a link to this DIY mod I found on the web...my finished product looks exactly like theirs, and makes for a much nicer look.

Good Luck!

http://www.hotbikeweb.com/tech/0902_...ate/index.html