Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

helmet question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 08:17 AM
electra glide
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Half helmet with shield works fine, full face is good, and modular is great. All 3 work well and offer rain protection. If you pack properly there should be no need to UPS anything. The wife and I pack more than what we need on our bike. Trust me, she doesn't do without, it's not an option.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:18 AM
kpb46
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPZRRDK7TRM

I bought one of these really like it. Nice weather you can ride with the shield up. If it starts raining just drop it down. Shields change out very quickly

Last edited by kpb46; 04-14-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:20 AM
gary_montague
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 04-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Raptor1956
Tourer

Bad Pig looks like you got it figured out. I use UPS all the time when I tour. Helps out quite a bit for me. I like to travel light for tire wear and mileage. I don't have a luggage rack on my FLHTC I like to be different. My last FLHTC was an 07 and I had a rack on it. I did a lot of touring with the bike loaded down with extra bags and packed full. After a few wrestling matches with the loaded hog I tried the UPS thing and really enjoyed traveling light. I know that the extra expense of the shipping offsets the fuel mileage and tire wear thing. Enjoy your trip and I hope you have a safe one.

Last edited by Raptor1956; 04-14-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:02 PM
cbears
Road Warrior

I've had 3/4s and regular FF, but just bought my first HD modular FF. It is way cool. The best of both worlds. Sometimes I put the front up to get some wind on my face and don't have to take it off all the time to smoke or drink.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:19 PM
captsprocket
4th Gear

Most of my local riding is with a half shell. Longer, back road rides I use a 3/4 with interchangeable visor and faceshield. For highway riding, it's a full face. I find the full face fogs up when it gets wet but it does tend to keep me dryer in heavier rain. However, that said, the 3/4 with face shield works okay. If it is raining hard, like others have said, it don't matter!

As for rain gear, I live in So. Fla so the heat will take its toll on you if you are in a PVC style rain suit. I got a set of Frogg Toggs from Bass Pro Shops and they are the best! They let the air in and keep you from sweating up a storm, but they really keep you dry too! Best rain gear for the money in my mind.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:10 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

For those of you who've used a 3/4 with a face shield in the rain - I'm looking at trying with a 3/4 Shoei RJ Platinum for summer but have a question...

Does the face shield fog up or collect alot of rain spray on the INSIDE? I know with a FF the problem for me is the fogging of the inside of the face shield due to the high humidity and my breath fogging it up from the inside. Even when the face shield is cracked it can fog to some degree at least. I'm wondering if a 3/4 with face shield would be an improvement or would be worse than the FF in this regard?

Thanks!

PS: Now as for packing, I also pack very light. I travel solo 90% of the time so that's not hard for me to do. I carry no more than 2 or 3 days worth of clothing and I do my laundry at the hotel or at my destination once I get there. Usually it's one spare pair of jeans and 3 t-shirts, 3 sets of socks/underwear, a pull-over sweatshirt in case it gets cold, toothbrush/paste, comb, a packet of Wet-Ones for a fast clean-up while on fuel stops, a few maps, a funnel in case I need to add oil along the way, a compact LED flashlite and just a few basic tools. I also carry a spare pair of goggles in case my face shield is damaged or broken or the goggles I'm wearing are damaged/lost. And of course a set of H-D Overpass raingear/booties.

I put my clothes in a plastic Walmart bag and set it inside the saddle bag. Little misc items are in another bag just like it. At the hotel I just pull them out by the handles and go inside.

Have a great time on your trip! Don't forget to share some pics when you get back.

Last edited by Arizona; 04-14-2009 at 01:18 PM.