Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CD player skips when riding

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:58 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD player skips when riding

I really enjoyed my CD player on my Ultra last year. This year it is skipping a lot when I'm riding. When the bike is setting still, there is no problem. What could it be?

I have an extended warranty so I guess they will have to fix it.

Last edited by Ozoneman; 04-14-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:20 PM
crewchief25
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts

My CD skips when it's below @ 40 outside.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:20 PM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's possible that running a cleaning disk through it might clear it up.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:44 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+14.7 on the cleaning disc. Geez, these things sit out in a garage for months on end while one of the most precision optical devices you'll ever come across in everyday life gets foggy & clear, foggy & clear, over and over.

One of the cleaning discs with the felt (some have a little "brush" thing, which works reasonably well also) will probably take care of it.

One thing to figure -- Does it skip with both MP3 and standard CD's...? There's an error-correction algorithm (CIRC-Logic) for CD playback that MP3 (data) doesn't have. If a normal disc plays well, but a disc of MP3 data doesn't, it's a pretty good indicator of dirty optics.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:32 AM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

You probably dont want to use a cleaning disc. I worked as a tech for Harman sine 1988...spent the last 4 years running the Harley Warranty analysis and refurb team. I cant tell you how many cleaning discs we received jammed in units, and it's not exclusive to the Harley unit. Most of those brush style discs have a warning on the jewel case warning you that they should only be used in tray style CD players. Just about every motorcycle and car head unit uses roller type feed / eject mechanisms. If the brush hits the roller at the wrong angle, it will jam the unit.

Beyond that, most skipping issues on the HK unit is actually related to the SDRAM circuit. There are occasions when the SDRAM...where 40 second skip protection is stored...needs to be reworked. This is for both audio and MP3 discs

JohnScrip is correct in his pointing out the harsh environment that these units are subjected to and the fact that the lens could very well be dirty. If you have a warranty, by all means submit the unit. If anyone has one out of warranty, check out Iron Cross Audio (www.ironcrossaudio.com)

The following 2 users liked this post by Iron Cross Audio:
GeeLP (01-11-2021), Snowfan (01-11-2021)
Old 04-14-2009, 08:45 AM
hardyf111
Cruiser
Default CD

I had almost the same problem. Mine was that my radio/cd would reset while riding. It would go completely off and then restart. turned out that i did not completely retighten the battery terminals when I had loosened them for some earlier projevt. Check the terminals -- could be the reason.

h

Old 04-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

Thanks Tech, I dropped my bike off at the Harley dealership. Hope they find the problem. I will mention the SDRAM circuit.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:56 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I will be interested in what you find. Mine did the same thing they stopped skipping and started working again after a couple of days. Let us know what they say.

Old 01-10-2021, 08:39 PM
Lowriderred
Stage I

Originally Posted by bksmoky
It's possible that running a cleaning disk through it might clear it up.
Originally Posted by Ozoneman
I really enjoyed my CD player on my Ultra last year. This year it is skipping a lot when I'm riding. When the bike is setting still, there is no problem. What could it be?

I have an extended warranty so I guess they will have to fix it.
do you have an integrated cb in the unit? If there is a cb turn it off. In cd player mode the time should display at bottom of screen , if the word cb is there it will appear to be skipping.

Old 01-10-2021, 08:48 PM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,341 Likes on 6,765 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron Cross Audio
You probably dont want to use a cleaning disc. I worked as a tech for Harman sine 1988...spent the last 4 years running the Harley Warranty analysis and refurb team. I cant tell you how many cleaning discs we received jammed in units, and it's not exclusive to the Harley unit. Most of those brush style discs have a warning on the jewel case warning you that they should only be used in tray style CD players. Just about every motorcycle and car head unit uses roller type feed / eject mechanisms. If the brush hits the roller at the wrong angle, it will jam the unit.

Beyond that, most skipping issues on the HK unit is actually related to the SDRAM circuit. There are occasions when the SDRAM...where 40 second skip protection is stored...needs to be reworked. This is for both audio and MP3 discs

JohnScrip is correct in his pointing out the harsh environment that these units are subjected to and the fact that the lens could very well be dirty. If you have a warranty, by all means submit the unit. If anyone has one out of warranty, check out Iron Cross Audio (www.ironcrossaudio.com)
Thanks for that information.

Quick Reply: CD player skips when riding