Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Road King High Handlebar vs. Heritage Style Handlebar

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 03:34 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Chrome Road King High Handlebar vs. Heritage Style Handlebar

I'm trying to find out if anyone knows for a certaintly what the difference is between these 2 handlebars for an 08+ model...

The 2 handlebars in question are the Chrome Road King High Handlebar (56180-08) and the Heritage Style Handlebar (56902-08).

Here's my situation... I've tried the Heritage Style bars on my bike 2 times now, and each time I've been disappointed in them. See THIS thread... The problem is that in order to get the wrist position right, I have to tilt them back so far that the brake and clutch levers hit my knees during sharp slow-speed turns. And even though they have more rise, they're actually lower than stock when tilted back far enough for a good wrist angle...

A few people have recommended the RK High bar. But in looking at the description and measurements on HD's website, I'm a little confused... It shows the High handlebar to have a 9.5" rise and the Heritage style to have a 12" rise. But others have TOLD me that the High handlbar is actually a little taller than the Heritage..??..

And HD's measurement guide says that the Heritage Style bar has 5" pullback and the High bar to have 9" pullback, but nowhere in the product description for the High bar does it say it has more pullback than stock, just that it's narrower and 2" higher... But if the High bar has MORE pullback than the Heritage bar, then that is really bad. The Heritage bars already have 3" more than stock, and the measurement guide says they have 4" more than Heritage...so that would be 7" more pullback vs stock..??.. Something doesn't add up...

Old 04-13-2009, 04:07 PM
philthy51
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chubbys

Here are a couple of pic's of the Wild 1 chubbys Baby Apes W0513 on my R/K, was thinking about Heritage but decided to go with these. 8.5" rise and 11.5" pullback. Don't mean to confuse you anymore but just another idea.

Attached Thumbnails Chrome Road King High Handlebar vs. Heritage Style Handlebar-hand-b.jpg   Chrome Road King High Handlebar vs. Heritage Style Handlebar-img_2034.jpg  

Last edited by philthy51; 04-13-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:09 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the RK high bars on my bike and love them. The Heritage bars always looked like they wouldn't be comfortable.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:12 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master

Originally Posted by petemac
I have the RK high bars on my bike and love them. The Heritage bars always looked like they wouldn't be comfortable.

A couple of quick questions...

Do these bars make you angle your writs outward, or does it have a natural fit?

Do you have to angle these bars back a lot, or are they comfortable when in-line with the forks?

Old 04-13-2009, 04:31 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No, they don't angle my wrists outward and they feel very natural. The Heritage bars felt like I was pushing a wheelbarrow.

No, mine aren't angled back a lot and are inline with the forks. Very comfortable.

Originally Posted by bamorris2
A couple of quick questions...

Do these bars make you angle your writs outward, or does it have a natural fit?

Do you have to angle these bars back a lot, or are they comfortable when in-line with the forks?

Old 04-13-2009, 04:40 PM
DaltonHD
Cruiser

Just bought the high bars and will be installing this week and will get some pics up..The wrist angle appears to be the same when I position the High bars against the stock...No clue on the Heritage bars..I've read to many 'wheel barrow' complaints.
Thought about the chubbys but but 55 bucks vs 220 bucks..55 it is!!

Last edited by DaltonHD; 04-13-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:24 AM
BlackFLHR
Road Master

Well guys, it looks like I found a great handlebar! The wifey made the trip to Laidlaw HD this afternoon, and I installed the Chrome RK High handlebar this evening. I went for 1 ride, and I knew these were the right handlebar for me! Good height, good wrist angle, good pull back. They make me sit more upright (which feels more natural), but not so much as the Heritage style bars which made me feel like I was going to fall backward when I accelerated.

I'll test them out more over the next few days, but I'm confident that these bars will work out great for me.

I can post some pics itomorrow f anyone is interested.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:31 AM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bamorris2
Well guys, it looks like I found a great handlebar!
Yes you did. Cheapest most comforting mod I did! I still love em, but now I'm going to do some apes.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:30 AM
bmorebhoy
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Bamorris2,
Looking forward to your review and the photos.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:11 AM
Cloud09King
Road Warrior

No clue on the Heritage bars..I've read to many 'wheel barrow' complaints.
Never heard any mention of "wheel barrel" in regards to the heritage style bars? If anything some people find the hand position to be a bit narrow. But the control & comfort is OUTSTANDING! These are the bars they use on Police bikes so that should answer your question about comfort & ride longevity. The great thing about these bars is that you don't have to change any lines or cables, just swap bars & ride! They're also about 1/3 the price of most after market apes & other bars at about $85 bucks. You can see how they look in my sig pic below. If you'd like more pics of them just let me know...

Quick Reply: Chrome Road King High Handlebar vs. Heritage Style Handlebar