Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Road King High Handlebar vs. Heritage Style Handlebar

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:22 AM
Yojimbo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bars

I would appreciate hearing and seeing what you guys are doing. I feel like I'm leaning over too much when riding and would like to find a way to bring the bars to me about 3 inches or so. The height, angle and width are all good, they're just a tad too far away. I like where the seat puts me, I like where the boards are, I don't want to move myself closer to the bars, I want the bars to come to me. If the solution is new bars, that's fine, if it's risers, that's fine, too. Thanks,

Old 04-16-2009, 10:15 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Update

Well I've had the Chrome RK High Handlebars for several days now, and I can tell you that I REALLY like this handlebar. No complaints whatsoever. Position, angle, and pull back are all what I wanted. Here are a few pics.

Last edited by BlackFLHR; 04-16-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:24 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on finding bars that work for you. Interesting that you like them because they look they'd make your wrists bend a lot more unnaturally than the heritage-style, the way they turn inward kinda like a beach bar.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:25 AM
Cloud09King
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting that you like them because they look they'd make your wrists bend a lot more unnaturally than the heritage-style, the way they turn inward kinda like a beach bar.
+1

The RK high handlebars definately have more of a "wheelbarrel effect" to them than the Heritage style bars do. I've got the Heritage style bars on mine & LOVE 'EM! Look at the difference in hand position bewteen the two...

RK High Handlebars

Heritage Style Handlebars

Old 04-17-2009, 10:43 AM
BlackFLHR
Road Master

Originally Posted by Cloud09King
+1

The RK high handlebars definately have more of a "wheelbarrel effect" to them than the Heritage style bars do. I've got the Heritage style bars on mine & LOVE 'EM! Look at the difference in hand position bewteen the two...

I noticed the same appearance... But like the saying goes, appearances can be deceiving. For me, the Heritage bars had me bending my wrists outward way too much. The only remedy for that on the Heritage bars was for me to pull the bars back/down until my wrists were straight. The result of that was that my wrists were comfortable, but the bars were too low for me, to the point that the brake and clutch levers hit my knees at full lock turns. But with these RK High bars, they naturally bend downward without have to pull the bars back. So for me, the end result is a very good wrist angle while still keeping the bars in-line with the forks.

Each person is different, and this is just another option that's out there to choose from.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:02 AM
Cloud09King
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me, the Heritage bars had me bending my wrists outward way too much. The only remedy for that on the Heritage bars was for me to pull the bars back/down until my wrists were straight. The result of that was that my wrists were comfortable, but the bars were too low for me, to the point that the brake and clutch levers hit my knees at full lock turns. But with these RK High bars, they naturally bend downward without have to pull the bars back. So for me, the end result is a very good wrist angle while still keeping the bars in-line with the forks.

Each person is different, and this is just another option that's out there to choose from.
To each's own & I'm glad your happy with the High Bars, but as you can see from the pic I posted the Heritage Style bars don't bend your wrists at all in any direction. I wonder if you tried a bar that you THOUGHT was the Heritage Style bar but wasn't? Now I'm not sure if you know this or not, but the bars that they put stock on Heritage bikes & the Heritage Style bars are two different bars with slightly different shapes to them. The grip area on bars that they put stock on a Heritage do slightly curve down whereas the Heritage style bars don't.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:43 AM
BlackFLHR
Road Master

Originally Posted by Cloud09King
To each's own & I'm glad your happy with the High Bars, but as you can see from the pic I posted the Heritage Style bars don't bend your wrists at all in any direction. I wonder if you tried a bar that you THOUGHT was the Heritage Style bar but wasn't? Now I'm not sure if you know this or not, but the bars that they put stock on Heritage bikes & the Heritage Style bars are two different bars with slightly different shapes to them. The grip area on bars that they put stock on a Heritage do slightly curve down whereas the Heritage style bars don't.

You know, that is a great point! I've constantly had the exact same thought, especially after reading all the rave review on the Heritage style bars... And yes, I know that the bars on the Softail Heritage are different than the "Heritage Style" bars for the touring bikes... Back to my (our) doubts about the bars, when I purchased the Heritage Style bars from the dealer, they didn't have any part number or wrapping on them. But the service guy guaranteed me that they were part number 56902-08, as that was the only 08+ bar that he stocked (according to him). Obviously, it had the TBW notching on the right side... Is there another 08+ TBW handlebar that matches my description of what I think is the Heritage Style handlebar??

I'll try to take a few pics of the Heritage bars that I have tonight and post them here.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:17 PM
devils haircut
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that you have had the high handlebar, what is your long term impression of the bar? I too am debating between the high handlebar and the heritage bar for my 09 RKC.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Jahillsr
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What an interesting point between the Heritage bars and the Heritage STYLE bars. I got that right, yes?

So which are the "police" bars?

I'm looking for bars that are not quite as wide and have more pull back for my '98 RKC. I had MCC move me forward an inch but it wasn't enough to sit me up straight.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:08 PM
ltmdl90
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my heritage bars. I just took a 09 street glide for a ride and hated the bars. I told the salesman that the sg would be perfect if they change the bars.

Quick Reply: Chrome Road King High Handlebar vs. Heritage Style Handlebar