Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 Service - Screw It, Let's Ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 05:31 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 1000 Service - Screw It, Let's Ride

I know, I know, this is an age old subject on this forum but it’s raining and so I made the executive decision early to start with a jumbo Bloody Mary, watch the Masters and hang out here today. Looks like Kenny Perry just might win one for the old guys. Plus I’m a little confused after talking with the dealer this morning so I thought I’d post on my favorite forum.

I have had the dealer do the 1000K service on my other bikes but have been having some serious 2nd thoughts this time around. Here’s why. I approached it little differently this time. I called the dealer and told them that I needed the 1000k service on the new 09 and would be riding the bike in and then waiting while the work was done. I asked if I could get a scheduled appointment and how long the service takes. The answer was YES and 2 ½ hours. I then told them that I would be bringing in my own oil (which they don’t sell) and filter. I told them that I would gladly pay the 2 ½ hours of labor ($85 hr) plus any other miscellaneous parts. From what I can see in the service manual, these would consist of a couple of o-rings, gasket and maybe some lube for hinges, etc. So I’m figuring that the total should be about $250 plus tax.

The service guy then tells me that the 1000mi service doesn’t work like that and that it is a $400 + tax flat rate charge and not based on the hourly rate. He said they would deduct their cost of the oil that is included in the flat rate. About $25. As I was about to loose my cool, I just decided instead to say “thanks, I’ll get back to you”.

Anyway, as I sat here thinking about all of this I asked my wife what she thought. Her response was “screw it, do it yourself.” I suddenly was inspired by the recent MOCO response to the New York Times.

I just emailed Heika at Pitbull and ordered up a new jack. I have the service manual, some excellent tools and enough brain-cells left to get to really know my new 09. I’ll take my time and go through the steps and know that it really got done. I’ll document everything.

Thank-you for the inspiration MOCO. “Screw-it. Lets ride!”

Old 04-12-2009, 05:40 PM
Everette
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is exactly my thoughts, feeling and intentions. I also ordered the work on your harley video. Shows you exactly how to do it. Well worth the money.

Everette

Old 04-12-2009, 05:43 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,227 Likes on 1,842 Posts

You'll enjoy it doing it yourself. Make sure you do follow it step by step as it is really more than fluid changes. Adjust the clutch cable as it tends to stretch after being new. Check all critical fasteners. Lube the hinges and floorboards, etc.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:00 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

Wow..$400 + tax? yeesh!

The 'advertised' rate @ my dealer is $289.99, but since I have the VIP Maintenance program, I pay $0 (pay $1699 up front and every 2500 miles, the service is free, for as long as you own the bike). Since I had my fill of 'maintaining' a bike when I owned my '01 Indian, this works out real well for me. The GM gives me crap (jokingly) every time he see's me, then we laugh and talk about how many others don't ride anywhere near as much as I do.

If I had the gumption to do it somewhere down the road, I'd consider it...but for now, it's just easier to let the dealer handle it. Plus, I have 1 mechanic that does all the service on my bike, so we've developed a great relationship and he takes great pride in ensuring my bike is 'top shelf'!!!

Let us know how you fare, once the service is done!

P.S. (I'm watching the Master's too. Tiger was lurking, but fell at the end. Playoff time, with Perry missing by inches on 18...:S)

Old 04-12-2009, 06:00 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Likely all you would have received was a $400 Oil Change anyway.
Do it yourself and you'll not only save $$ but you'll do it right too.

My bike hasn't seen the Dealer since I picked it up New.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:39 PM
KopperTop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 1K service is a great way to form a stronger bond with your bike. It's more tedious than anything else (checking all the fasteners and such).

Neither of the two bikes that I bought new ever went back to the dealership. Not that I have anything against dealers, per se (they might be great for all I know), but I was born with a genetic defect that makes me think I can really do just about anything I set my mind to. It may take me five times as long, mind you, but I learned long ago that no one -- and I mean NO ONE -- will care about your stuff more than you do yourself.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:43 PM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My dealer was $280 with dino , $300 with syn .. They wont get it back for any more , was the first and last service they'll get it ..

Old 04-12-2009, 06:46 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

congrats , do it yourself

Old 04-12-2009, 07:33 PM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't a do it yourself job run the risk of voiding your two warranty?

Old 04-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Quick Reply: 1000 Service - Screw It, Let's Ride