Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM V to SERT???

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 08:43 PM
07JakeelwoodHD
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I will never go back to a SERT had 1 on my 07 bike never ran right even after several Dyno runs bike backfired and popped all the time put PCV bike runs great and no popping and had the same setup as my 07..Call jammie and have him remap your PCV u wont be sorry

Old 04-12-2009, 09:23 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have a competent dyno tuner, a SERT / TTS / SEST / DirectLink, will ALWAYS make for a better "riding" bike than what you can get with a PC.

Anyone who disagrees, simply has NEVER had a properly tuned bike.

Sure a PC will make a bike run better than stock. If 80'ish % is "good enough", then perhaps a PC also good enough. There is no such thing a MAP that is "right" for bike other than the one it was (supposedly) created on, via dyno tune. They may be "in the ballpark", but no "homerun".... no way.

One other tidbit.... "Proper" tunes rarely come from dealerships ~ partially due to training, but more to do with volume of tunes and dealership mentality.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Leonidas
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilM
If you have a competent dyno tuner, a SERT / TTS / SEST / DirectLink, will ALWAYS make for a better "riding" bike than what you can get with a PC.

Sure a PC will make a bike run better than stock. If 80'ish % is "good enough", then perhaps a PC also good enough. There is no such thing a MAP that is "right" for bike other than the one it was (supposedly) created on, via dyno tune. They may be "in the ballpark", but no "homerun".... no way.

One other tidbit.... "Proper" tunes rarely come from dealerships ~ partially due to training, but more to do with volume of tunes and dealership mentality.
Although I agree with most of what you said, it sounds as though he doesn't have a 'competent dyno tuner'. Dunno where you get 80% ish from either, from what I've been told, (Jamie from Fuel Moto) his maps are seeing less then 7% difference in trims. (Sent back from quite a few guys running Auto Tune... ) I believe that would make it more like 93%. I'm also informed that a proper full SERT/TTS/SEST tune takes approximately 10 hrs, although you can do a pretty good job in about 5-6(although not a full tune) ... this comes from the guy who trains all the tuners across the US with SERT/TTS etc... I dunno bout you, but I don't own a race bike(actually I do own an R1 160 rwh) so why would I pay roughly 100/hr for a full tune everytime I change something that requires a remap/dyno... when I can simply load a map that puts me within 93% of best tune... if I want more I could easily run AutoTune with wideband sensors and apply the trims accordingly. Mind you, if you're at the track and trying to beat your 1/4 mile times by fractions of a second, I would definitely be going with SERT/TTS/SEST and looking for the best tuner I could find. But the fact is, most of us aren't pro racers and fractions of a second aren't all that important(to me), although having the tune you speak of would be very nice, do I need it???

Old 04-12-2009, 10:33 PM
saw*me
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your right there Phil. I see your point. I did get a great tune and I am very happy with the SERT, I did get it at the dealer and I trust only one to do a tune the rest not so . A good tunner is hard to find.

Tom

Old 04-12-2009, 10:53 PM
teqsand
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I was looking into getting my stock 08 ultra dyno'd.... I have a stage1 intake and v&H slip ons, the tuner told me I would be wasting my money to get a dyno with the stock pipes... is this true?

Old 04-13-2009, 12:44 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by teqsand
I was looking into getting my stock 08 ultra dyno'd.... I have a stage1 intake and v&H slip ons, the tuner told me I would be wasting my money to get a dyno with the stock pipes... is this true?

He is right. You won't notice much if any difference with stock type pipes.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:33 AM
OG1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

while i do agree with all the above, the PC line of products are more than adequate for probably 95% of the bikes on the road, and any competent tuner will acheive very similar results to what can be felt with a SEST, etc. the OP has most likely got a bum map that is not optimum for his setup.

something else to remember: almost no PC maps will have any modifications at 0% throttle position, so if your bike is running ****ty in that range, decel pops, etc. it is most likely a shortcoming in your factory ECM's fuel map, as the canned PC maps arent making any changes in that range.