Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical failure -- heated vest POS.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 07:14 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

well anyway, doesn't matter about the connector. For you techie's out there, if the vest was shorting and drawing too much amperage could it cause the engine to run improperly? And if so, can it cause long lasting damgage. I'm worried about this now. Maybe it was the vest or maybe just a coincedence. I'm worried I have a lemon now.

Normally, does your engine light come on for a few seconds when you fire it up? Mine always does then goes out.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:39 PM
2deuce
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't make any sense, you'd think it would blow the fuse. Do you have a temp controller on it? But if it's a Gerbing, it's got a lifetime guarantee

Old 04-12-2009, 07:56 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

nope, no temperature controller. We were told you can just plug it directly in and when it gets too hot you disconnect it.

I'm not worried about the vest, it was $99 bucks, I'll take it back to the dealer and they can give me a refund. I'm worried it damaged the electornics in the bike.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:23 PM
2deuce
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I's spend the extra cash on a Gerbing and get a temp controller......most of the time the first notch is more than enough to keep you comfortable. Good luck.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:12 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ok, I was afarid of that. another hundred bucks for a controller. I was against the heated vest in the beginning, now it screwing up the engine and the only way to fix it is spend more money on it. Sorry if I'm a bit negative but they really gouge and screw you every time you turn around. We were told we didn't need the controller, they forgot to mention it would burn out the electronics on the bike.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:45 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
ok, I was afarid of that. another hundred bucks for a controller. I was against the heated vest in the beginning, now it screwing up the engine and the only way to fix it is spend more money on it. Sorry if I'm a bit negative but they really gouge and screw you every time you turn around. We were told we didn't need the controller, they forgot to mention it would burn out the electronics on the bike.

YOu do NOT need the controler. you DO need the switch that came with the vest. It allows you to turn the vest off when you are warm, and back on when you are cold. Pluging the vest in without the switch can cause you problems ( or so I was told by my dealer)

The vest should NOT have caused any problems with your bike. It does not use that much electricity. Unless the vest is faulty, or the plug is installed incorrectly, you should NEVER have a problem with it.

By the way, if your bike has a plug under the seat for the tender, it was NOT installed by the factory. Thats something the dealer installs (mine doesn't) I would simply take the pigtail that came with the vest, and install it as recommended. Red lead to the positive on the battery, Black to a ground (NOT the negitive on Battery.) And make sure the fuse is good in the pigtrail

If you still have any sort of promlem, have your electrical system tested, and if nothing is found, go to a gerbings dealer and ask that the vest be tested. (Gerbing makes the HD vests)

Wife and I ride well into the cold weather and in 3 years of using the vest and gloves for me, the vest and heated grips for her, we have never had any sort of problems.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:03 AM
smoknwrenchs
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a shorted out wire. check to make sure your wire isnt pinched by the seat when youre setting on it

Old 08-06-2009, 10:07 AM
cfmii11
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely sounds like a short to me.
Since your bike run fine with it disconnected I don't think you did any damage to the electrical system. Just make sure you don't have the positive and negative leads crossed.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:24 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I run heated gloves and insoles in the winter on both the eg and Sport.No controler just on off switch,no problems.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:39 AM
NiteOwl
Supporter
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

The loss in power sounds like the bike went into the "get home" feature that I remember reading about in the manual, I will have to go and find that section again, but there is a feature that allows the bike to just travel at low speeds to get you home or out of trouble, but I forget the situation, its probably all computer related so maybe your computer got a mixed signal for a moment and when you shut down and re-started it went back to normal. May or may not be related to vest.....

Quick Reply: Electrical failure -- heated vest POS.