Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I get reimbursed for my warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 09:54 AM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff.georgalas
No, the additional five year warranty doesn't start until after the factory two year warranty is up. But after listening to what the other people have to say about Harley possibly warrantying it assuming they do the work, I may just keep it. I really like the idea of being under warranty for seven years regardless of mileage.
WRONG!!!
Again, Read the contract (Part I which is the separate sheet of paper you signed), it starts the day the bike was purchased. That document also clearly states the "Effective Date" and "Expiration Date". Come on guys, this ain't Rocket Science.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:02 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wecroft
WRONG!!!
Again, Read the contract (Part I which is the separate sheet of paper you signed), it starts the day the bike was purchased. That document also clearly states the "Effective Date" and "Expiration Date". Come on guys, this ain't Rocket Science.
Hold on a minute, now I'm going to have to dig out my contract. I remember the finance/insurance guy told me that I will be covered for seven total years, from 2008-2015, and that it was an additional five year (not seven) warranty. Now you're telling me that I've been lied to? And what you're telling me is that two years of my extended warranty are running at the same time as the first factory 2 year warranty? What kind of sense does that make? I'm paying for 2 years of coverage that I've already got from the factory? C'mon, that just doesn't sound right. Now I've got to find that frigging contract!

Old 04-12-2009, 10:22 AM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Just another reason why I refused to pay for that crap. All it does is take money out of your pocket and puts it in someone else's! I would rather take that money and buy stuff for the bike. I wind up trading every two years anyway so to me the extended warranty is worthless! I love the incredulous look the financing guy gives you when you turn down their offer.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:33 AM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff.georgalas
Hold on a minute, now I'm going to have to dig out my contract. I remember the finance/insurance guy told me that I will be covered for seven total years, from 2008-2015, and that it was an additional five year (not seven) warranty. Now you're telling me that I've been lied to? And what you're telling me is that two years of my extended warranty are running at the same time as the first factory 2 year warranty? What kind of sense does that make? I'm paying for 2 years of coverage that I've already got from the factory? C'mon, that just doesn't sound right. Now I've got to find that frigging contract!
The extended 5 years DOES give you a total of 7. My 05 Night Train was covered until 2012, and I got the remainder back when I cancelled it this year.
Now, they did ask me if I still owned the bike, (I traded it at a different dealer,) because the money would have gone towards the loan If I still owed on it. I heard that some dealers will send you the check even if you owe on it, but i'm not 100% positive this is the case.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:34 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

[QUOTE=jeff.georgalas;4851623] And what you're telling me is that two years of my extended warranty are running at the same time as the first factory 2 year warranty? I'm paying for 2 years of coverage that I've already got from the factory? [QUOTE]

The ex. warranty starts on the purchase day.
I'm looking at mine right now ,7yr. ESP........purchase date (efective date)3/15/06,expiration date 3-25-13.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by monkyman
The extended 5 years DOES give you a total of 7. My 05 Night Train was covered until 2012, and I got the remainder back when I cancelled it this year.
Now, they did ask me if I still owned the bike, (I traded it at a different dealer,) because the money would have gone towards the loan If I still owed on it. I heard that some dealers will send you the check even if you owe on it, but i'm not 100% positive this is the case.
I'd like to see a copy of that contract. The post I made previously comes straight from there. I checked the contract on my 2003 and the one on my 2006 and both start on the delivery date and end after the number of years selected. It's there in black and white from the MOCO.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:59 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wecroft
I'd like to see a copy of that contract. The post I made previously comes straight from there. I checked the contract on my 2003 and the one on my 2006 and both start on the delivery date and end after the number of years selected. It's there in black and white from the MOCO.
Here you go. 7 years and the Mechanical Breakdown coverage starts the day AFTER the Factory Warranty expires.

Attached Thumbnails Can I get reimbursed for my warranty?-ex-war.jpg  
Old 04-12-2009, 05:00 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes you can get the money back. My investment banker told me to get rid of all extended warranties, they are a total waste of money because there only real purpose is to part you from your money.
I canceled mine and I got back all my money, Harley is pretty slow, it took quite a while but it was worth it.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:29 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont have an investment banker so I guess you will have to do I didnt get the extended warranty with mine. I remember years ago buying a 75.00 microwave and the guy wanted to sell me an extended warranty for 2 years for 50.00 I looked at him and told him if it quit id just toss the damn thing and get another... He didnt believe me ..

Old 04-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by monkyman
Here you go. 7 years and the Mechanical Breakdown coverage starts the day AFTER the Factory Warranty expires.
It says exactly what I said. Read the two lines above the Mechanical breakdown reference you gave. That part of the coverage begins there because that's where the factory coverage of that item leaves off. The factory warranty picks up the first two years including mechanical breakdown

A seven year policy will go until 7 years starting on the purchase date. Notice it's still a total of 7 years. Look at the chart. The seven year period ends at the same spot for all three lines. The round circle say "Up to Seven Years". So, if you bought a 7 year policy it will expire 7 years after the purchase date and the first five years are covered under the factory warranty. If your policy is dated to expire in 7 years, you paid for a 7 year coverage, not five years.

P.S. the page you supplied is not the contract, it is an advertisment. Check the contract and see what you were charged for.

Last edited by Wecroft; 04-12-2009 at 05:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Can I get reimbursed for my warranty?