Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

scratches and swirls

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 06:36 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default scratches and swirls

I have a Vivid Black bike. I have some scratches down where the tank meets the seat. I have tried the HD swirl and scratch remover twice, and see no difference. Any suggestions on a product that will work?

Old 04-10-2009, 06:39 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

best bet is using a buffing wheel, with some compound, porter cables are nice machines

Old 04-10-2009, 06:44 PM
Certified Drunk
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 04-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Ozark Bob
Novice

I have had some success with 3M Scratch Remover with Carnuba wax. Think I got it at Wally World.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:02 PM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by leohd
best bet is using a buffing wheel, with some compound, porter cables are nice machines
+1 what Leohd said. I have had a porter cable orbital electric 5" polisher for years, its the best polisher I have ever owned. I have black trucks, black bass boat, black harley and wifes sport utility is burgandy. I use meguires cleaners, polishes and waxes by the drum.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Raptor1956
Tourer

Get use to it. That is the curse of the black bike.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:14 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I use 3m finnesit II on my black FB with a slow speed buffer!!

Old 04-10-2009, 07:20 PM
henryr
Intermediate

detailers domain has all the products you could ever need.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:20 PM
phattey
Cruiser

I've VERY particular about swirls and fine scratches....typically makes me crazy and I've struggled with all kinds of products.

First thing to remember, don't be cheap when you're dealing with HD vivid black. It's so easily scratched and swirled. Don't use a cleaner wax...ever. It'll make things worse if you're not careful.

What works for me and my overly picky self, is this...ensure you have "always" new microfiber clothes when polishing or drying off after it's washed. After you've cleaned it and dried it, get a new wax pad and dampen it..not soaked but ensure it's damp. I usually soak it good then wring it out really well. Then apply Meguires yellow number 26 Carnuba on a section. Don't apply it in circular motions..that's a detailer 101 thing they'll tell you. Instead go back and forth with minimum pressure. Also ensure you don't put too much on the applicator. Since it's damp it'll spread more even and be removed better. Light coating is all it takes.

The carnuba has specific polymers in it that actually fill in the swirls, When you buff it out with your new never used micro towel, you'll notice the swirls and fine scratches are gone. They're actually not gone but filled in with the carnuba polymers. After a few washes you may see them re-occur, but all you have to do is follow this technique, and use a very good carnuba, with NO cleaner in it.

It's that simple. I've had dark cars that over time had swirls and fine scrathes and I finally hooked up with a professional detailer who uses all kinds of polishes and canubas. He also used a high speed buffer, but you have to be very skilled to make those work well.

This is my 3rd vivid black and now after all this time, I got it figured out. When I ride in the sun I don't see those swirls anymore in the tank or the fairing.

Try it and see how you do. Be sure to wax it in the shade then roll it into the sun and you'll see the difference it makes.

Good luck...holler back and let us know how it turns out.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try Poorboys super swirl remover. That stuff is magical. www.poorboysworld.com

Quick Reply: scratches and swirls