Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

scratches and swirls

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 07:36 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It was suggested here about to use this
http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...?T1=MEG+G10307
I did and was amazed at how it removed all the swirl/scratches. I got the cheapest buffer wal mart had and used it on my fairing. It looked new. I could not believe how easy it was.
I am sure there are other products that are as good but it was handy to just go to walmart.
They also have a swirl X remover 2.0, I do have it but haven't needed it yet because I use the other.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:21 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Buy a white bike...............trust me , you will still see the scratch and swirl marks no matter what in the right light.............

I use a black sharpie.......

Old 04-10-2009, 08:39 PM
flhtupser
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out Glare auto polish. I just bought their products and they work great. I bought all four,Knock out,Microfinish,Spider and the final step auto polish. They are not cheap and apply differently than other waxes but work better than any other product I have ever tried. They took scratches out of my Ultra that nothing other would including using a buffer. My paint now looks better than ever. I highly reccomend it!

Old 04-10-2009, 09:26 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by flhtupser
Check out Glare auto polish. I just bought their products and they work great. I bought all four,Knock out,Microfinish,Spider and the final step auto polish. They are not cheap and apply differently than other waxes but work better than any other product I have ever tried. They took scratches out of my Ultra that nothing other would including using a buffer. My paint now looks better than ever. I highly reccomend it!
Which product removes the scratches?

Old 04-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Junebug
Advanced

I use Poorboys Super Swirl Remover 2.5 with a White (or sometimes Orange) CCS foam buffer pad on a rotary polisher followed by Super Swirl Remover 1.0 on a White Foam pad, then I move to SSR 1 with a Gray pad followed by two coats of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and then a high quality Caranuba wax.

You can learn all you need to at www.Autogeekonline.com .

I use this kit on my bike and if you have good halogen lights you can see swirls in any color.

http://www.autogeek.net/spot-buff-kit.html

This kit works real good with the Poorboys Swirl Removers.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Scubamike
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the same issue with my 09 vivid black FLHX with having the 6 gallon tank my chaps rub on the side of the tank and it has dulled the paint and there are minor but noticable vertical scratches from the chaps. I would love to figure out the best product to remove the marks on my new bike. My old softail is vivid black as well and shows some of the same dullness on the back of the tank, I guess I am a slow learner and like black. Are You guys using orbital buffers or just rotory buffers, its my understanding you can also do more harm than good if you not careful with a powered buffer. If it works I will give it a try. Also are you using a smaller buffing tool not the old large automotive type?

Old 04-10-2009, 09:59 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozark Bob
I have had some success with 3M Scratch Remover with Carnuba wax. Think I got it at Wally World.
+1 on 3m! I've tried many things on 3 black Harleys, and 3m is the $hit. I use 3m Cleaner Wax, then follow with Mothers Gold carnuba wax. Perfect for lights scratches on black. Paint looks brand new and lasts (until your boot hits it )

But I wouldn't buy anything from Crap-Mart.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:31 AM
Dustball
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use the least amount of abrasive you can to remove the swirl. Meguire's Color X (mildest) and Scratch X (slightly harsher) are intended for light duty scratch removal and contain a diminishing abrasive that flattens down the paint/clear-coat. Apply by either hand or dual action polisher (porter cable makes a fine one) it'll take out all those little swirls and fine scratches. Keep working it until the product disappears. Repeat as necessary until your swirls or light scratches are gone. I finish mine off with some #80 speed glaze and then a few coats of #26 Yellow polish. Mirrored, deep bottomless black is the result.

I shudder when I see some poster recommending rubbing compounds and rotary buffers to the general public for swirl and minor scratch removal. Rubbing compounds are very harsh compared to the above, and will remove significantly more material (paint/clear-coat). Same with a rotary buffer -- a newbie can burn the paint in just a few seconds, and now someone is repainting at a much higher cost.

FYI - If you can feel the scratch with your finger nail, then no product made for light duty swirl/scratch removal will work to take this out. Unless you have experience with paint, let a pro get that scratch out for you. Sure it'll cost you, but nothing compared to a major repaint when you mess it up.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:24 AM
PTS
Advanced

I have a Vivid Black Harley and I fought this the same as you. What I did was buy Meguiars Scratch Remover and use a folded and folded microfiber towel so it will fit in the palm of your hand literally. Put some scratch remover on your folded towel and use back and forth motions with pressure from your palm and not fingers so it builds a little heat and make sure you have enough remover to keep up with ur effort. Stop look and repeat if necessary! I did this on my fender where the seat rubbed and literally the whole bikes paint job, and you will have no scratches or swirls. After this stage I used Zaino Bros Z-5 w/activator, Z-2 w/activator, Z-6 Gloss Enhacer, Z-8 Grand Finale Sealer, and this bike is crytal clear with no haze, swirls, nothing... The black looks 10 miles deep and if you would like I will take a picture of the front fender with a flash and show you.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Count=6

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Count=4

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Count=9

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...oduct_Count=11

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...oduct_Count=10

Old 04-11-2009, 01:41 AM
GScotty
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys,

The answer is a Random Orbital buffer. There are a bunch of them out there.. They will not burn thru the paint like a regular buffer.
I have a vivid black Ultra Classic and a black Mustang Cobra show car. I myself use a
Griot's Garage Random Orbital Buffer along with their different polishes. The marks on the tank come out in minutes... You can research Griot's supply's at "griotsgarage.com"
I have no connection with Griot's Garage, that is just what I use..There are a bunch of good machines and good polish out there on the market... Good luck

Quick Reply: scratches and swirls