Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detach tourpack lights on Standard?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 10:33 AM
electra glide
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Detach tourpack lights on Standard?

I bought a 96 ulra pack with quick detach for my 05 FLHT. I put the chrome light covers on the sides, but would love to have the rear lights work when the pack is on. How? Is it a PITA to hook and unhook the lights when you wanna take the pack off, put it on etc. What parts will I need etc. Thanx guys.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

EG, you need to spend more time with the HD parts and accessories catalog and buy the HD Service Manual for your bike and you'd be riding with a lighted tour pak instead of waiting for some potentially inaccurate reply like this one.

In the HD catalog, you will find a quick detach electrical connector, PN 70113-08; list price $13.95. This provides a quick disconnect between the wiring harness in the tour pak and the bike's tour pak wiring harness. The HD fitment info in the catalog refers to '97 and newer bikes, but I had a '96 Ultra TP on my '04 EG police model and that connector should work since it's simply an extension cord between the bike's TP harness and the harness inside the TP.

Your '05 FLHT has a tour pak wiring harness on it. It's probably coiled up and zip tied to the left frame rail under your seat or under the left side cover. It will have a black three wire connector.

You can check on the compatibility of these connectors for your tour pak by comparing the part numbers for the connectors. The connector to plug into the bike's tour pak wiring harness is the same part no. as used in your fender tip light that plugs into the circuit board behind the tail light. Remove the tail light lens and compare the plug in the upper left chamber to the one on the end of the light harness inside the tour pak. They should be the same and you will be good to go.

Now, go read the P&A book and buy the SM for your bike so you can have more enjoyment on your bike.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:59 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts
Default Harleypingman to the rescue!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just another reason i love HDF you get solid answers with a little humor(sarcasm)...Thanks Harleypingman you have solved another members dilemma!!!!! R.W.