Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you have money your spouse doesn't know about?
I've got a secret credit card.
6.18%
I've got a secret cash stash.
34.83%
I don't currently, but it's a great idea.
7.87%
My spouse knows about all my purchases.
56.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Poll Regarding Mama Don't Know Money

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Cajun King
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife also handles the finances in our family and in the business. We also work together everyday as owners of the company. I haven't seen a paycheck in 16 years and don't even know what I make. If there is a toy that I want I will ask her what range is comfortable at the time because we pay cash for the toys. If it is too low for a new one, I will find a good used toy to play with. She has fussed at me a couple of times for going over the comfort range but I beg her forgiveness and she is always fine. Hence...It is easier to ask forgiveness than permission. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:22 PM
WADELL
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What alot of of you don't relize is you think she doesn't know. WRONG! Been there, done that.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:43 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I started out this way (second wife) one account for the house -- her account and my account -- as long as I take care of my share of the bills it's all good -- interesting sidebar -- when I met my current spouse she was making almost three times as much as I did at the time -- never talked about combining our incomes. As soon as I started making twice as much as she does now she wants to go joint--I now make 2 1/2 times what she does QUOTE=Thundercloud;4838607]My wife and I used to always argue over money years ago. We separated about 10 yrs ago for a little over 2 years and while we were apart, I got a couple promotions and my salary more than doubled.

So when we got back together I told her there was a whole new set of rules. My Money is My Money and hers is hers. I pay the mortgage, my truck payment and for my toys. She pays the utilities and her car payment.

If we need something big for the house we share the expense. But at the end of the month what ever we have left is ours to do what ever we want as long as that persons bills are paid and paid on time. We have been back together for about 8 years now and we never, repeat never discuss money.

I could bring a new bike home every week and she could care less as long as my bills are paid. And if she wants to buy a new car, or take a trip, I could care less as long as I don't come home to a dark house, or no phone.

It might not work for everyone, but it was the best thing we ever did. So you can see I have no need for secret money or credit cards, because if you are keeping secrets from your spouse, you are basically lying to them and then there is no trust, and that leads to no relationship pretty damn quick.[/QUOTE]

Old 04-09-2009, 03:21 PM
juspasnthru
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well,

I'm a bit different than most-I received an offer I couldn't refuse for a job in another State, and I took it-the money is 3-4 times what I was making (and I was making good money), so, if I want something I just tell her what I want and she lets me. She manages the money (and does a terrific job with it). She does work, and I get an allowance and Credit Cards-if I want something, it's "Hello Discover Card!", and I get it 99% of the time.

As far as my Harley goes, she knew I wanted it, and when the one I wanted came available, she had a stash and paid for it out of her money. I have a substantial stash too, but she offered! She really is the best, and, being this is my third marriage, I think I finally got it right!

Old 04-09-2009, 03:41 PM
keltonkrew
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife and I are about like some stated above. Our main house is paid for so she pays the insurance, tax, elect, cable, etc. I pay for the lake house, elect, sat tv, etc. seems to work good

Old 04-09-2009, 03:48 PM
AZStrtglide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wife and I both work, she takes care of the finances, all the money goes in one account, she has always done a great job of it, I am terible with my own money and I hate it. I managed a 3.5 million dollar account for years for work and always hated balancing the account at the end of the month passed every audit or inspection the Government threw at me.

The last few years have been good to us both have received promotions, I still make 2 1/2 times what she does and I don't work as hard as she does, that's about the only disagreement we have and she always wins. We live in a new house, she drives the car of her dreams, a 2007 Mustang GT. I ride what I always dreamed I would, and get to buy stuff every month so I can't complain about her pedicures and such we're happy and enjoy being nesters, couldn't wait for the kids to leave the house.

Best part is lately every Friday she wants to go down to the Dealer for something new, 1 hour ride each way, I hate shopping but it's a Harley dealers and lots of chrome to look at!

Old 04-09-2009, 04:00 PM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I look after all the money in this house. I get what I want when I can afford and she gets what she wants when I can afford it. I guarantee we'd be broke or behind on the bills if I left it to her.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:02 PM
ConnMan
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I pay for the house and everything associated with it. I don't ask my wife about spending a nickel. Her money is hers and she can do what she wants with it. She doesn't ask me about spending money on anything. For the life of me, I could never imagine having to call her and say "Honey, is it OK if I buy a bike/car/boat"? This would make me feel like I had married my mom.

Sperate checking and savings accounts in seperate banks. Our accountant knows more about how much money she has than I do.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:19 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Joint account here .. doesnt matter .. Its a team effort if its done like it should be .. anything else aint marriage..

Old 04-09-2009, 04:59 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife likes to ride with me and really doesn't care or get involved with my purchases for the bike. As long as we can afford what we want, we get it. We never argue over money, even if it's tight. "For richer or for poor" Right?

Quick Reply: Poll Regarding Mama Don't Know Money