Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you have money your spouse doesn't know about?
I've got a secret credit card.
6.18%
I've got a secret cash stash.
34.83%
I don't currently, but it's a great idea.
7.87%
My spouse knows about all my purchases.
56.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Poll Regarding Mama Don't Know Money

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 11:40 AM
keltonkrew
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm not posting anything cause my wife may join this forum (site) since she has her Heritage (maybe she'll stay in the softail forum)

Old 04-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Phurion
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundercloud
It might not work for everyone, but it was the best thing we ever did. So you can see I have no need for secret money or credit cards, because if you are keeping secrets from your spouse, you are basically lying to them and then there is no trust, and that leads to no relationship pretty damn quick.
Wow, almost identical to my scenario.

We separated back in late 07, reconciled 10 months later. We now operate on separate finances as well. I prefer not being responsible for her finances, and she likes not having to check with me before making purchases (and likewise).

Like you I buy what I want, when I want, without having to get anyones permission, and she does the same. So long as the communal bills get paid, it's all good.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:55 AM
cbears
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phurion
Wow, almost identical to my scenario.

We separated back in late 07, reconciled 10 months later. We now operate on separate finances as well. I prefer not being responsible for her finances, and she likes not having to check with me before making purchases (and likewise).

Like you I buy what I want, when I want, without having to get anyones permission, and she does the same. So long as the communal bills get paid, it's all good.
This just wouldn't work for us. We've been married 16 years and we both have worked for the same place and sit 4 foot apart from each other for our entire marriage. We get along great and don't argue much about money. I'm totally irresponsible when it comes to money, I'd spend every dime every month. She's totally the oposite. She'd save every dime and never spend anything but on bills. My allowance is just another bill to her. It works out great.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundercloud
"...if you are keeping secrets from your spouse, you are basically lying to them and then there is no trust, and that leads to no relationship pretty damn quick."
+1

If you think its hard to afford your toys while you're married, wait and try to afford them after you're divorced.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Phurion
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cbears
I'm totally irresponsible when it comes to money, I'd spend every dime every month. She's totally the oposite. She'd save every dime and never spend anything but on bills. My allowance is just another bill to her. It works out great.
We were exactly opposite to that. I was always the financially responsible one while she just wanted to 'spend'.

True story: we got her a checking account early on in the marriage. She started getting bounce notices and, I kid you not, these words came out of her mouth:

"but...I still have checks left."

Our separation was partly due to her needing to figure out how to take care of herself (she'd never had to before. Long story for another time. ). She's still not as financially savvy as I am, but she's come a long way. She's been managing her own finances since we separated and had some hard lessons early on.

But back to the topic at hand...the last two weeks she's come home with new handbags, or new costume jewelry, or what have you. I'm fine with that and tell her "that's nice honey". So long as she has her half of the bills on the 1st and the 15th she can buy what she wants and I'll just simply smile and be happy for her.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:39 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My wife and I put our money together, are open with it and if we want something we have no problem telling the other. We usually save until we can pay cash and not owe. We did the this is my money, this is yours when we first married and finally figured out we had more money and less arguements just joining forces. We're both very happy with the arrangement. Plus she loves to buy me stuff for my bike

Old 04-09-2009, 12:39 PM
cbears
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phurion
True story: we got her a checking account early on in the marriage. She started getting bounce notices and, I kid you not, these words came out of her mouth:

"but...I still have checks left."
That's a HOOT!!!!! I thought that was just a joke, didn't know anyone actually ever said it!

Old 04-09-2009, 12:52 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

I give this explanation to youngsters getting married.

It's a legal binding contract establishing a partnership. Forget the lovey-dovey stuff. It's a business.

Run it like a business where the money is one pile and purchases are discussed by the partners and you'll be OK.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:54 PM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
This thread is the reason I am not married.
+1,000,000,000,000 I think that's a trillion.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

We have seperate accounts, she pays the bills and I buy what I want. Pretty simple.

Quick Reply: Poll Regarding Mama Don't Know Money