Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil press.and air temp guage ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 07:54 PM
ZBARK
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil press.and air temp guage ??

I have a friend who has a '05 EG Police bike.It came without the oil press.and air temp guages.He bought the guages and has installed them but can't locate the connectors for the guages.Is there anybody here who can help locate the hook-ups? Same bike also has a slot for the radio and we need to find the wires to connect a radio also.Any help would be apreciated.Thanks in advance.He has the Service Manual,but it does'nt go into enough detail.
Keith

Old 04-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Your buddy's cop bike does not have the connectors for the oil or air temp gauges that a civilain bike would have. If he has the HD Service Manual for his bike it won't show the connectors because they aren't included on the interconnect harness. If he has the civilian HD service manual, the wiring diagram for the interconnect harness says that the gauges aren't on the police model.

He can install the oil temp gauge by splicing the oil temp sending unit wire (it's brown with a green stripe) and will be in the 12-wire connector on the right side of the bike (left side if he's facing the bike with the fairing off).

He'll also need to buy the black connectors used for the light bulb (black two-wire) connector and gauge ( black three-wire) connector, and the sockets that go on the wire ends to insert the wires into the connectors.

Other than the sending unit wire mentioned above, he'll need to splice the orange and black wires used for the bulb and gauge as power (orange) and black (ground).

As for the radio, a simple install would be to tap available power and ground wires inside the fairing. The police bike doesn't have the Base Audio Connector (a 23-wire connector) that plugs into the back of an HD stock radio.

Have your buddy call biketronics.com for their mounting kit. They also have a switch kit that mounts on the handlebar for controlling the radio.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:01 PM
ZBARK
Advanced

Thanks Harleypingman! I'll pass it on.
Keith

Old 04-08-2009, 09:20 PM
bigmack46
Novice

Originally Posted by ZBARK
I have a friend who has a '05 EG Police bike.It came without the oil press.and air temp guages.He bought the guages and has installed them but can't locate the connectors for the guages.Is there anybody here who can help locate the hook-ups? Same bike also has a slot for the radio and we need to find the wires to connect a radio also.Any help would be apreciated.Thanks in advance.He has the Service Manual,but it does'nt go into enough detail.
Keith

A police bike is going to have a different Fairing interconnect. The easiest way to to the above mods is to simply change the fairing interconnect harness to the stock Civilian Harness. That makes things pretty much plug and play. You will still need to add an additional wire to the engine harness for the oil pressure gauge, the brown/green wire won't be present since you only have an indicator light. Also, bear in mind that if you install an H-D radio, you will also need to change your handlebar controls.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:35 PM
ZBARK
Advanced

Thanks bigmack46! I sent him a link to the thread so he can check out the responses.I'm sure he will apreciate it.
Keith

Old 04-08-2009, 10:14 PM
bigmack46
Novice

I've pretty much turned a FLHTP into an Ultra - so if you want any tips, PM me any time

Attached Thumbnails Oil press.and air temp guage ??-100_2927.jpg  
Old 05-05-2009, 04:31 PM
ZBARK
Advanced

Originally Posted by bigmack46
I've pretty much turned a FLHTP into an Ultra - so if you want any tips, PM me any time
PM sent
Thanks bigmack46

Old 05-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

A police bike is going to have a different Fairing interconnect. True; the interconnect harness on the police EG is different from the civilian bike, and the police interconnect harness lacks the wires and connectors for the oil pressure, air temp, Base Audio Connector, and cruise control. The easiest way to to the above mods is to simply change the fairing interconnect harness to the stock Civilian Harness. That makes things pretty much plug and play. You will still need to add an additional wire to the engine harness for the oil pressure gauge, the brown/green wire won't be present since you only have an indicator light. Incorrect; the brown/green wire is part of the main wiring harness which are the same on police and civilian bikes, and is located on your buddy's '05 police EG as described. The procedure I posted above taps the brown/green wire on the main harness for the oil pressure gauge your buddy wants to install. The idiot light and oil pressure gauge use separate wires and both are included in the main wiring harness on police and civilian EG's. Also, bear in mind that if you install an H-D radio, you will also need to change your handlebar controls.
List price for a civilian interconnect harness is about $400. He can find one for substantially less on Ebay. Whether that expense is worthwhile depends on whether your buddy wants to add handlebar controls of the radio and cruise control. To simply add the missing wiring for a couple of gauges the expense probably isn't worth the cost of the interconnect harness.

Also, these civilian features can all be added without the civilian interconnect harness since the main wiring harnesses are the same on both bikes and it's not difficult to compare the wiring diagrams on police and civilian bikes to identify the wiring needed to install these accessories using the police interconnect harness--it's what I did over the first 4 years I've had my '04 police EG.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:42 PM
bigmack46
Novice

Thank you for your input. Maybe I need to be a little more clear. The brown/green wire may be part of the MAIN harness, but it will still not be present at the sensor location. That is why you get one with the gauge kit. This is where you need to add the wire i referred to. You can either tie-wrap it to the existing bundle as suggested in the instructions, or for a cleaner look, take the extra time to snake the wire through the existing harness.

The fairing interconnect is p/n 70232-04. You can get one from Chicago H-D for $332.80. I still stand by what I said - the EASIEST way to accomplish this is to simply swap the interconnect - that makes it a plug and play operation. Of course you can mock up just about anything one wire at a time, but at some point it just doesn't make sense anymore. Add the gauges, then start adding radio connections - before you know it, you're in a mess of wires, and spending a pile of money and not saving anything.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:33 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Thank you for your input. Maybe I need to be a little more clear. The brown/green wire may be part of the MAIN harness, but it will still not be present at the sensor location. That is why you get one with the gauge kit. This is where you need to add the wire i referred to. You can either tie-wrap it to the existing bundle as suggested in the instructions, or for a cleaner look, take the extra time to snake the wire through the existing harness.

The fairing interconnect is p/n 70232-04. You can get one from Chicago H-D for $332.80. I still stand by what I said - the EASIEST way to accomplish this is to simply swap the interconnect - that makes it a plug and play operation. Of course you can mock up just about anything one wire at a time, but at some point it just doesn't make sense anymore. Add the gauges, then start adding radio connections - before you know it, you're in a mess of wires, and spending a pile of money and not saving anything.
When I added the oil pressure gauge to my '04 police EG shortly after buying it in Feb. '05, all I needed was the oil pressure gauge and the connectors and bulb to connect to the main wiring harness inside the fairing. If by "sensor" you meant the sending unit and that's it's necesary to run a wire from the sending unit to the fairing, that simply isn't the way the '04 models are wired; and, since HD doesn't change much in the wiring from year to year, I doubt it's the way an '05 is wired.

The civilian and police wiring diagrams in the 2004 HD Service Manuals show the brown/green wire is present in the oil pressure sending unit and runs to the connector in the fairing.

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse by providing this information. But if someone wants only to hook-up an oil pressure gauge, it's far less costly to simply do it as I described. If the plan is to add the other accessories mentioned, the civilian interconnect harness makes more sense financially and for ease of installation.

For owners of police model EG's who intend to add handlebar controls of the headunit, cruise control, etc., swapping out the interconnect harnesses makes sense; not essential by any means, but certainly easier than studying the wiring diagrams, adding and deleting wires, etc.

Quick Reply: Oil press.and air temp guage ??