Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Dreaded Seat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 12:38 PM
2WheelThrill
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Dreaded Seat Thread

OK...

I have an 09 RKC. It seems others here have complained about the stock seats that come with these bikes. However, I find it pretty comfy, at least for shorter rides (haven't really racked up many miles yet).

Yet, with the stock seat, I cannot sit flat footed on the ground, which is what I desire. I am able to do the ***** of the feet and most of the boot bottom (if I stretch real good).

I had a Sundowner that I used on my Sportster, but was not real thrilled with it - seems I would always be shifting my *** around.

Trying to figure out what my best option is. I mainly ride solo, so was thinking about going that route and maybe doing a pillon for the rare times that I do have a passenger.

I kind of like the looks of the Silhouette Solo by LePera, but don't see many people talking about them on this site. It seems that seat would definitely get me lower to the ground without having to lower the bike (which I really don't want to do). Any opinions on this brand? Did you have one and switch, if so, why?

I plan on taking some longer rides, so I guess I am looking for a seat that will lower me and give me comfort for the long haul.

So, advantages/disadvantages of a two piece seat vs. a one piece?

FYI, I am 5'9" and weigh 180.

Thanks for the input.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Rob2002
Tourer

http://www.meancitycycles.com/

I've heard a lot of good things about this guy. Plan on having an RK seat done soon. Might be worth checking out.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:00 PM
pidnaul
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob2002

I've heard a lot of good things about this guy. Plan on having an RK seat done soon. Might be worth checking out.
Just checked out their wed site, looks pretty cool. Thanks for the info. I requested if they had any pics of the RKC seat that had been done to lower a rider that is 5'7", bout 155. Will post if they respond.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:10 PM
2WheelThrill
Tourer

Originally Posted by Rob2002

Yes, I have seen many people talk about this company, but then I would be without a seat for awhile...oh no!!!!

Old 04-08-2009, 02:16 PM
pidnaul
Tourer

Originally Posted by 2WheelThrill
Yes, I have seen many people talk about this company, but then I would be without a seat for awhile...oh no!!!!
Just strap a pillow there...

Old 04-08-2009, 02:40 PM
VegasBruce
Cruiser

Ive used the Badlander and the Screaming eagle seat on my EG. I have a C&C Seat now it drops down quite a bit and its comfy.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:51 PM
pidnaul
Tourer

Originally Posted by VegasBruce
Ive used the Badlander and the Screaming eagle seat on my EG. I have a C&C Seat now it drops down quite a bit and its comfy.

I believe I was looking at your same seat on their website. I likes the looks of it very much. The only thing I was worried about was the comfort of the rider pad for my wife. I looked at the other seats on their page, but the passenger pads looked to bulky and big. What does your wife think of the comfort level?

Old 04-08-2009, 03:13 PM
jackja25
Road Captain

Originally Posted by pidnaul
I believe I was looking at your same seat on their website. I likes the looks of it very much. The only thing I was worried about was the comfort of the rider pad for my wife. I looked at the other seats on their page, but the passenger pads looked to bulky and big. What does your wife think of the comfort level?
They will build the seat for you. If you would like to keep the original seat but lower it a use memory foam. Just tell them your exact desires, even for the passenger. I was on a trip last summer and made a drive in appointment a they rebuilt my 08 anniversary seat to my specs within 1-2 hours. A great job, no hot spots lowered me about 3/4 of a inch. I later lowerd my suspension since I am height deprived. But my wife and I can put in a easy 500-600 miles in a day with no seat issues.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:19 PM
ojgp
Advanced

heheheheh I've been following these seat threads too. I'm trying to lose an inch or so without giving up any suspension travel and without bending my knees much more than they are now (wish the floorboards on the '09 Ultra were adjustable like the ones on the '05 Classic!) Best I can tell from the infamous seat threads is it appears like the best bang for the buck in accomplishing this is either Mean City Cycyles (but they've said the '09s aren't as "adjustable" as earlier models) followed by the Sundowner. If I could be sure that the Sundowner was different enough from the stock Comfort Stitch,I'd change right now. I'm cautious because I've gambled enough on motorcycle stuff and lost...$300 is well...chrome I could be buyin'!

Old 04-08-2009, 03:28 PM
pidnaul
Tourer

Originally Posted by jackja25
They will build the seat for you. If you would like to keep the original seat but lower it a use memory foam. Just tell them your exact desires, even for the passenger. I was on a trip last summer and made a drive in appointment a they rebuilt my 08 anniversary seat to my specs within 1-2 hours. A great job, no hot spots lowered me about 3/4 of a inch. I later lowerd my suspension since I am height deprived. But my wife and I can put in a easy 500-600 miles in a day with no seat issues.

Are the 500-600 mile trips with the seat you have in that pic you posted? I do like that seat and the stitching on it.
Sorry I thought that was VegasBruce's post. VegasBruce any comments?

Last edited by pidnaul; 04-08-2009 at 03:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Another Dreaded Seat Thread