Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What DOT Half Helmet Are You Wearing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 09:13 AM
csharp
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HD Hybrid Ultra-Light something like 24 ozs. Fits great and stays put at all speeds.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:45 AM
bmorebhoy
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Super Seer. Incredibly comfortable and very little high speed wing lift.
http://www.superseer.com/

Old 04-09-2009, 10:45 AM
gregsworld
Tourer

Someone post a pic wearing the darn things so we can be the judge. :-)
Greg

Old 04-09-2009, 08:59 PM
ny rider
Intermediate

head trip awesome helmet lightweight dot approved!!!!

Old 04-09-2009, 09:24 PM
fxdwg_rugby
Road Master

Any that fit my FAT head...

Old 04-10-2009, 12:05 AM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karz10
Man, I hear good things about the carbonfiber/acc, but I can't try one on so I can't buy it. They do offer the inserts, and may even offer size exchange, but I have too much trouble fitting things. Anyone's head from top view isn't round, so fitting that properly, at least on my head, isn't always easy.

A lot of helmets perch on top of head and don't fit down on head right. If one dimension is big enough, another is too big, and isn't proper fit.

I also liked the Vegas XTS, was the only low profile DOT I could find in my area. I don't know if it's as low profile as the ACCs, but I liked it for the fit, and being dot legal, and heard good reviews about its construction.

http://www.vegahelmet.com/xts.html

I like the leather one w/ the visor, also has a face shield for cold/inclement weather that can snap on, also has optional ear pads for cold/noise.

I also like the cool DOT emblem, not cheap looking.

Run about $60 average for most models http://www.google.com/products?oe=UT...t&sa=N&start=0

The indy called today said mine was in to come ck out, I didn't buy it when I first tried it on coz hadn't got my bike back yet and wanted to look around in the mean time...
So, I went today and picked up the XTS in XL. W/ hair cut as short as it gets (cut today), I could go either way, L or XL, which makes sense using the measurements on their page since I was on the border line. So anything on my head, or a week or two of my super thick hair growth and the L would be too tight me thinks.

So I got the XL, the ear pads, and a removable flip up shield.

Took it out on the road, RKC w/ no windshield, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, no issues. Now at higher speeds if I lift my head up and look up in the air or something, then the wind gets a little, but even then it didn't feel like it was loose or uncomfortable, but level head even full on wind and it didn't feel like it was pulling at all, much more comfortable than the harley half shell I had. With the helmet on level, the front of the helmet and visor come pretty low down on my forehead, which I think helps w/ downdraft keeping it on, as opposed to other helmets that I'd have to tilt forwards to keep the front low enough to keep from wanting to blow back. Also, I think this is a nice position to help block direct sun light under most conditions.

The only issue I had was if I didn't tuck the extra strap into the provided bungee loop to keep it in place, at real high speeds it might come loose and flap some, but I also got the quick disconnect clip which I intend to install. I have a full face so I use a lot of the strap.

If I wasn't using the quick disconnect, a tip a guy posted on here one time was to have someone sew a little soft velcro on the end of the strap so when you loop it through and fold it over, it velcros to the other side of the velcro that you put on the static piece on the left hand side, sort of like how some have a snap there, he used velcro insead.

Last edited by karz10; 04-10-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:16 AM
aces_and_eights
Advanced

Originally Posted by gregsworld
Someone post a pic wearing the darn things so we can be the judge. :-)
Greg

Hope E-kid doesn't mind

Old 04-10-2009, 01:23 AM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aces_and_eights

Yeah, as for the carbonfiber, there is a gallery buried in their website, in case people didn't see it: http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/gallery.htm

My favorite one is

Ok, seriously, all the other pics have people in em...

Old 06-29-2009, 09:08 AM
staplek
Intermediate

so i like the looks/cost ratio on the vega naked but my question is- would the carbon fiber be stronger due to materials and construction?

Old 06-29-2009, 09:49 AM
Dooderhead
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wear the Scorpion EXO-100 with Scala comm. It's heavy, but I like the secure feeling that come with it.

Quick Reply: What DOT Half Helmet Are You Wearing?