Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What DOT Half Helmet Are You Wearing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 11:59 PM
CHGO5OH
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadkinglobo
Expensive, fairly heavy, excellent fit; add-ons available and worn by most motorcycle cops....SEERS. I have had mine for 3+ years and it is excellent. Good shopping.

p.s. almost forgot....Snell, DOT approved and stay put in the wind w/o the mushroom look.
I have one that my department issued me. Good helmet, but not for me.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:01 AM
CHGO5OH
Tourer

To all the guys that responded to this thread.........THANKS!!!
I see that carbon fiber is they way to go!

Old 04-09-2009, 12:42 AM
pidnaul
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 for advanced carbon composites, aka headtrip helmets. Many different colors to choose from, including solid colors. Love it because you don't feel like a parachute is tied to your head!! It is so comfortable you can hardly feel that you are wearing it.

http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/

Old 04-09-2009, 01:53 AM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Man, I hear good things about the carbonfiber/acc, but I can't try one on so I can't buy it. They do offer the inserts, and may even offer size exchange, but I have too much trouble fitting things. Anyone's head from top view isn't round, so fitting that properly, at least on my head, isn't always easy.

A lot of helmets perch on top of head and don't fit down on head right. If one dimension is big enough, another is too big, and isn't proper fit.

I also liked the Vegas XTS, was the only low profile DOT I could find in my area. I don't know if it's as low profile as the ACCs, but I liked it for the fit, and being dot legal, and heard good reviews about its construction.

http://www.vegahelmet.com/xts.html

I like the leather one w/ the visor, also has a face shield for cold/inclement weather that can snap on, also has optional ear pads for cold/noise.

I also like the cool DOT emblem, not cheap looking.

Run about $60 average for most models http://www.google.com/products?oe=UT...t&sa=N&start=0

The indy called today said mine was in to come ck out, I didn't buy it when I first tried it on coz hadn't got my bike back yet and wanted to look around in the mean time...

Old 04-09-2009, 05:55 AM
StreetKing
Tourer

I vote for the Vega XTS.After sending the ACC helmet back a couple times for the right fit I gave up and bought the Vega. The plain flat black one and this is no BS it's the best fitting no mushroom looking helmet by far.I ride my King without the windshield and it doesn't move.Best $48 bucks I've spent.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:56 AM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Good luck with the so called DOT , if something happens with your DOT helmet. The law is so vauge and the so called DOT will not be held responisble for saying a helmet is safe.

Its all about the greenbacks............the non DOT carbon lid is a great helmet and very safe as far as helmets go, sadly most bikers don not die because of there helmet, its the speed, boooze or dumb a** cager ............

Old 04-09-2009, 06:59 AM
littlebear
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got my new one today,,,HJC FS-2,,,nice lid and I like the style,,,have 4 other helmets from full face to half,,,some days I just like to change hat.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:45 AM
ShooterSteve1953
Cruiser

I have three helmets I rotate with depending on how far I am riding and the weather. All HD helmets. Gloss black half helmet, carbon fiber 3/4 helmet and carbon fiber full helmet. In heavy rain the full FXRG helmet is amazing but hate wearing a full helmet if weather is good. The Carbon KevlarŪ 3/4 Half Helmet comes with a visor and pull down face shield, it's super light, comfy and offers great protection.

I will be adding a carbon fiber half helmet soon as I still prefer the smallest lightest helmet that still offers safety.

In the end I think it's all up to how dorky you can stand to look and still be protecting yourself for your loved ones.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:27 AM
onionfmr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jl28
Headtrip ACC,love it.Rides low on your head and comfy to wear.180 bucks.
My ACC has been a great helmet!!! Several years, no issues yet.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:43 AM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought an ACC Polo and it feels pretty good. I took my Bell out of the tour pak and now only carry the ACC. I wore it on a 180 mile ride 2 weeks ago and actually forgot it was on. I got the flat black one.

Quick Reply: What DOT Half Helmet Are You Wearing?