Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why all the noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 12:26 PM
ndnguyd
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dood, put the pipe down and walk away...... Its obviously having a negative affect to your thinking..

Old 04-07-2009, 12:37 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

I have owned several metric bikes in the past and am now riding my second Harley. I never in 20 years ever had anyone ask me if I would start my metric bike so they could hear it run before they left.

It has happened countless times on both of my harleys in the last few years.

All that being said, you still did the right thing. It's your bike. Put the pipes on it that you want to hear, even if that is quieter ones. I got nothing against quiet bikes, as long as I don't have to ride them.

Dennis

Last edited by rochkes; 04-07-2009 at 12:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-07-2009, 12:44 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

not EVERY harly is loud...... most folks I know have "quiet" bikes... but then they often ride for long distances. It's all about choice. When you buy a used bike, you get all of the previous owners choices.

YOU bought an ELEVEN year old bike with 18,000 miles on it. That tells you all you need to know about the choices made.

edited to add..... there are MANY reasons for such low miles, multiple bikes, sickness/death employment or the lack there of etc. I mean no disrespect to those who don't ride as often as other

Last edited by skootchnc; 04-07-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:45 PM
hcmiller92
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gunner11
Why did you even get a Harley if it's so outclassed by your three (count em') Beemers?
Because I like to take my SO on nice, quiet rides in the country at modest speeds, that's why.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:47 PM
machpilot
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh lord....here we go

Originally Posted by hcmiller92
I recently bought an immaculate 1997 FLHTCUI with 18K, thousands in chrome and a good service record.

I love this bike, except for one thing: the exhaust system would raise the dead. It is some aftermarket brand and not a straight-through, baffleless design but still makes - for me - an outrageous amount of noise. I need to wear earplugs whenever I ride it. As I write this, my dealer is swapping those pipes out for stock.

My question is, it appears to be a regular practice of H-D owners to swap out stock pipes for even louder aftermarket, or Screamin' Eagle pipes. My '04 Sprortster was the same way.

My question is "why?" I don't think the answer is a simple "different strokes" or "individuality." Not even getting into the "loud pipes save lives" (for which no evidence exists), these noisemakers alienate non-riding neighbors of mine and yours and seem to do nothing for performance.

I bought my Ultra-Classic for comfort and touring. I ride 25,000 miles a year. I also own 3 late-model BMWs. I am accustomed to power, speed and nimble handling. An FLHTCUI, no matter what year, has none of these. It is what it is, and I like it for what it is, but nothing I'm going to do is going to make an 800 pound bike fast. My R1200S is a 1200cc opposed twin (I love twins, hence the Harley) and it has more torque and hp than an FLHTCUI in a 450 pound body - with 1/3 the noise!

Getting back to my question: why the noise? The power doesn't come close to justifying the racket.

Thanks,
Curt

Old 04-07-2009, 12:47 PM
hcmiller92
Advanced

Originally Posted by skootchnc
not EVERY harly is loud...... most folks I know have "quiet" bikes... but then they often ride for long distances. It's all about choice. When you buy a used bike, you get all of the previous owners choices..
Delighted to hear it!

Originally Posted by skootchnc
YOU bought an ELEVEN year old bike with 18,000 miles on it. That tells you all you need to know about the choices made.
May tell you, but it doen't tell me anything. My dealer is a friend and he didn't mention hyroglyphics requiring translation.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:50 PM
hcmiller92
Advanced

Originally Posted by crash1292
A beemer rider......get lost
That's easy...just a slight twist of the throttle and it's triple digits...but that's not the point.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:51 PM
hcmiller92
Advanced

Originally Posted by ndnguyd
Dood, put the pipe down and walk away...... Its obviously having a negative affect to your thinking..
Nope, just too loud.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Phurion
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hcmiller92
Because I like to take my SO on nice, quiet rides in the country at modest speeds, that's why.
Hop on beemer.
Don't twist throttle so much.
Go back to beemer boards.

Bingo..

Nice and quiet leisurely ride for you. Nice and quiet (beemer-rider-free) forums for us.

/shrug

I normally don't chime in on these types of threads, firmly believing that what a person rides is purely their decision. But coming here posing your question in the manner you did, demeaning the machine these forums are dedicated to all the while seemingly elevating your beloved beemer to some sort of god like status...come on?! What exactly did you expect here?

Old 04-07-2009, 12:54 PM
TheBagger
Road Master

hcmiller92, 6 posts and you are making lots of friends here.

Coming to a Harley forum and questioning why people have non-stock pipes?? Your off the charts man.

Quick Reply: Why all the noise?