Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why all the noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 01:38 PM
rodnock
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sammi
how about "thurston howell iii".

Sammi
+1 i think we have a winner!

Old 04-08-2009, 01:38 PM
hcmiller92
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, Petemac, I am a fraud. No question about it. Actually, it was Shostakovitch I was listening to on the way in, but I was afraid I would be trying to sound too elitist. Nobody seems to know him but I love his music. Tchaikovsky is a little bit too much on the popular side of the spectrum for my liking. I like the oddball 20th century stuff.

You got it. I will name my bike "Fraud." I like it. It suits the bike well since its condition and mileage belies it age.

Now go ride instead of giving spelling lessons. I'm no intellectual, trust me. I'm just a hard-working slob (with a master's degree), who builds schools for our kids for a living. And I work very hard and take great pride in that fact. I came up the hard way, growing up in a tough neighborhood in Queens, working as a plumber for years and generally beating up my body just to scrape up a living. I know the hard side of life and am no poser, I guarantee.

But, I really do like the name Fraud for my bike. Reminds me of combining my uncle Fred's name with my aunt Maude's name. Beautiful! When Uncle Fred graduated from West Point, he went to the front in Europe as a 1st Lieutenant, and my aunt Maude was a Florence Nightengale, who treated our wounded.

I am much in your debt, Mr. Petemac.

Curt

Originally Posted by petemac
If you're going to try and pass yourself as some intellectual that listens to Tchaikovsky, at least learn how to spell it before you make this stuff up. Very cerebral!

I have a name for your bike, fraud. Would fit you well.

Last edited by hcmiller92; 04-08-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:01 PM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,093 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by hcmiller92
Real cerebral response. Unbelieveable. Do you represent the mainstream Harley rider? (I think not) Absolutely amazing. I think Vermont legalized gay marriage the other day, not Mass.

BTW, Mr. Glebo, I have a kid just back from Iraq, three other family members Army (colonel, one star general - Army corps of Engineers - and I SUPPORT our military and would sign up in a minute if I weren't so old and 4F)...and all of them believe in civilized noise levels from motorcycles, so don't throw the military into this mix as you do in your bio.

Well, I just sent a PM. Maybe I am one of the "typical" harley riders?? Why, ya can't take it?? I know it was Vermont, my post was in jest. Did you see the J/K?? I guess you just have thin skin.

I'm happy that you have all those family members that served....DID YOU?? I also have a son that just got back, but that has nothing to do with me other than I raised a great kid, I also served 22 yrs Amry and retired as a MSG....whoopdy friggin do. That and .25 cents will get me a cup of coffee, that's if the tax on that don't go up to.

Now, back to our regualrly scheduled why loud thread.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Silverstone
Tourer

My other loud bike.

Attached Thumbnails Why all the noise?-p1010002.jpg  
Old 04-08-2009, 02:24 PM
maxflhx
Tourer

Because quiet pipes let the terrorists win.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:47 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

When I was alot younger,I too liked the loud pipes,don't care for them as much anymore,one thing hasn't changed though,if it ain't a Harley it SUCKS!

Old 04-08-2009, 02:54 PM
hcmiller92
Advanced

Originally Posted by Silverstone
My other loud bike.
That's identical to my R1200S!!! Mine doesn't make any noise. Maybe you need to fix yours.

Curt

Old 04-08-2009, 02:55 PM
hcmiller92
Advanced

Originally Posted by FastHoss
When I was alot younger,I too liked the loud pipes,don't care for them as much anymore,one thing hasn't changed though,if it ain't a Harley it SUCKS!
Now that certainly isn't so and you know it.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:10 PM
hcmiller92
Advanced

Originally Posted by maxflhx
Because quiet pipes let the terrorists win.
Ya know, that attitude is gonna cost us all. NH is looking at banning all but stock pipes. That doesn't bode well for H-D or any of the others and it certainly doesn't bode well for Laconia. Remember that you live in a society and many in that society don't ride bikes and don't agree with your take on the noise being ok, subjective as that reality might seem.

I keep coming back to the point I started with: the noise is too much and why do people do it. This is not the same as what color you paint your house. I have neighbors from South America. I came home one day three years ago and they had spray-painted their house purple...yes, bright purple. I don't much like it, but it is their right and they are hurting no one. Loud pipes do hurt people...and even if you think they don't, they can out lobby you to enact laws to keep you from abusing what they feel are their rights to quiet enjoyment.

I am now delighting in my new stock pipes. They are so sweet, so mellow...and offend no one.

Take your rights very seriously. If you overstep, you risk the possibility of losing them. I even saw the president's message in a recent HOG magazine where he spoke to this very issue and urged us all to take the pipes thing very seriously. I'm not alone.

Curt

Old 04-08-2009, 03:37 PM
midlife rider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is Curt's profile on his blog, http://curt-mobile.blogspot.com/ and this is his profile;

"Curt Miller is the president of the Adirondack Mountain Club, a 30,000-member nonprofit organization dedicated to the protection and responsible recreational use of the New York State Forest Preserve, parks, wild lands, and waters. ADK employs a balanced approach to outdoor recreation, advocacy, environmental education, and natural resource conservation."

Certainly nothing wrong with being concerned about our environment, but be upfront about your intentions...

Last edited by midlife rider; 04-08-2009 at 03:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Why all the noise?