Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPAP machine Harley Battery or Cigarette Lighter

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009 | 10:23 PM
MackAttack
|
Cruiser
Default CPAP machine Harley Battery or Cigarette Lighter

I was wondering if any of you guys use a CPAP machine while touring on your bike?

If so, do any of you power your CPAP off of your Harley's battery or the cigarette lighter (DC power) and still have power to start your bike?

I like camping but I'm wondering about how to run the CPAP when electricity isn't available?

Thanx
Mack

Old 04-06-2009 | 10:44 PM
dredy2g
Tourer

Originally Posted by MackAttack
I was wondering if any of you guys use a CPAP machine while touring on your bike?

If so, do any of you power your CPAP off of your Harley's battery or the cigarette lighter (DC power) and still have power to start your bike?

I like camping but I'm wondering about how to run the CPAP when electricity isn't available?

Thanx
Mack
u must have a severe case of sleep ap. If thats the case bro camp where they have electricity. I went camping last year and they had electricity and cable at our spot where we pitched our tent.

Old 04-06-2009 | 10:47 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

I used to have a CPAP but I opted for the operation last year....couldn't be happier. Having said that, I think the CPAP would draw the battery down too much. When I went camping it was always in my camper so I used it off an inverter on a separate battery bank. I don't know if you pull a trailer or what or if you have enough room for a separate battery, but if you pull a trailer I'd bring a separate battery and then rig it up to recharge as you were riding.

Old 04-06-2009 | 11:02 PM
Dennis Murawski
Cruiser

This year at Daytona Beach Bike Week, one of the guys camping close to me brought his CPAP and plugged it into an inverter connected to the cigarette lighter socket in his pickup. Half way through the night the inverter sounded a warning signal (not unlike what you would expect to hear in an ER when the patient flat lines) that woke up everybody. The next morning he needed jumper cables to start the pickup. I think these things draw more current than you might think. Just bring along a 10HP generator and 5 gallons of gas and things should be fine.

Old 04-06-2009 | 11:16 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member

I used the CPAP, and have been staying in Motels for the last few for that very reason. Our riding crew doesn't seem to mind. They like the idea of not standing in line for showers.... No on the battery. But they do make a CPAP machine that will run on a long life kind of Marine Battery. Size and cost were just prohibitive for me. Good Luck.

Old 04-06-2009 | 11:48 PM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior

I'd have to say no to putting it on your HD battery. But there are some high dollar batteries that come in a small case, may want to check a battery place. How bad is your ap? I stopped breathing 100 times in an hour with the longest being 42 seconds & O2 sat was down to 46%. But I go to motels since my wife fell out of the camper & broke her arm.

Toby

Old 04-07-2009 | 05:07 PM
MackAttack
|
Cruiser

Thanx for the replies. I'm actually getting the CPAP this week. I do like to camp some and sometimes traveling, I just throw up my Eagles Nest Hammock for a quick snooze.

I've heard that once you get use to a CPAP, it is hard to sleep without it.

Guess more motels are the way to go.

Cheers,
Mack

Old 04-07-2009 | 07:58 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

I started with the full mask (had to use a chin strap as well, cuz I couldn't keep my mouth shut while I slept) and then moved onto the smaller one that had cheek pads and just a cover for over your nose. That one was much better for me. It does feel good to sleep well. With the operation I love it because I am free from all of that.

Old 04-07-2009 | 07:58 PM
eddieo
Advanced

Wow, CPAP and sleep apnea.....I thought this post was a typo. Ironically, I just got my CPAP machine this afternoon, and tonight is my first night with it, and it couldn't have come any sooner !! (Respironics REMstar Auto M series w/ A-Flex w/ Heated Humidifier & Full Gel Mask). Sleep on!

Old 04-07-2009 | 08:03 PM
RoadRunR
Road Master

I have used one for 6 years--tell me about the opperation.

My sons friends father died from heart related problems--6 months after he retired.His son said he snored all the time and would`nt take the over night test for sleep apnia.

I snored like a bear and finally gave in to my wife and took the test 6 years ago.
Now I sleep like a baby, and don`t get tired like before--

Last edited by RoadRunR; 04-07-2009 at 08:14 PM.

Quick Reply: CPAP machine Harley Battery or Cigarette Lighter