Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPAP machine Harley Battery or Cigarette Lighter

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010 | 01:28 AM
Roadking Cal
Road Captain

I had "Chronic/severe sleep apnea" and never knew it. My wife insisted I go do a sleep study and see what happens.

So I did. I ended up wearing a CPAP for one year and was eventually declared "CPAP intolerant". The solution was the UPPP operation, which also included a septoplasty (internal nose job) for me. Between the removal of the tonsils and the uvula, the added bonus of a clearer nasal cavity was unbelievable. Apparently, I had broken my nose some decades before. My mom claims no knowledge of this.

This was, at 46, mt first major surgery. I was scared as hell. It was so weird, the anesthesiologist told me to take two deep breaths, but I remember only taking one, then the next thing I know, some other guy is yelling at me to "just breathe! Concentrate on breathing!". And, just like that, it was over. Three hours of my life gone, and no dream to fill the time!

The next to weeks was fun times, too. No solid food for the first week. Not even a decent soup! the pain meds were kick-*** though! Remember to ask for ROXICET next time you have the occasion. It's (I believe) a liquid-based morphine. One teaspoon hits your system the moment you down it. Lalalalalalalalalalalal................

The only thing that bugs me, post-operation, is that when I have a build-up of phlegm in my throat, it takes a lot more work to expel it, since there's no uvula anymore to vibrate it out. That, and my german skills have suffered greatly, also do to being uvula-less.

Knowing all this, if I had to do it again, I would. Even if the recovery was three times as long.

One last thing: If you're thinking about having this done, double-up on your medical insurance if you can. Since I'm covered by both my work, and my wife's policy, out of a potential $20,000 medical bill (including hospital stay, O.R. costs, the surgeon and all) I had a grand total of $1250.00 out-of-pocket costs. Helluva good deal.

If you need to know more, feel free to PM me anytime.

HERE'S TO SLEEPING WELL AND BREATHING BETTER!!

Old 02-27-2010 | 06:36 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Roadking Cal
I had "Chronic/severe sleep apnea" and never knew it. My wife insisted I go do a sleep study and see what happens.

So I did. I ended up wearing a CPAP for one year and was eventually declared "CPAP intolerant". The solution was the UPPP operation, which also included a septoplasty (internal nose job) for me. Between the removal of the tonsils and the uvula, the added bonus of a clearer nasal cavity was unbelievable. Apparently, I had broken my nose some decades before. My mom claims no knowledge of this.

This was, at 46, mt first major surgery. I was scared as hell. It was so weird, the anesthesiologist told me to take two deep breaths, but I remember only taking one, then the next thing I know, some other guy is yelling at me to "just breathe! Concentrate on breathing!". And, just like that, it was over. Three hours of my life gone, and no dream to fill the time!

The next to weeks was fun times, too. No solid food for the first week. Not even a decent soup! the pain meds were kick-*** though! Remember to ask for ROXICET next time you have the occasion. It's (I believe) a liquid-based morphine. One teaspoon hits your system the moment you down it. Lalalalalalalalalalalal................

The only thing that bugs me, post-operation, is that when I have a build-up of phlegm in my throat, it takes a lot more work to expel it, since there's no uvula anymore to vibrate it out. That, and my german skills have suffered greatly, also do to being uvula-less.

Knowing all this, if I had to do it again, I would. Even if the recovery was three times as long.

One last thing: If you're thinking about having this done, double-up on your medical insurance if you can. Since I'm covered by both my work, and my wife's policy, out of a potential $20,000 medical bill (including hospital stay, O.R. costs, the surgeon and all) I had a grand total of $1250.00 out-of-pocket costs. Helluva good deal.

If you need to know more, feel free to PM me anytime.

HERE'S TO SLEEPING WELL AND BREATHING BETTER!!

SO NOW YOU ARE SHALL WE SAY "PHLEGMBOYANT"...Glad the surgery worked for you.My sister in Canada and 2 brothers in law down here have had it bit it didn't work for them....

Old 02-27-2010 | 05:44 PM
MadIrish
Tourer

Sleep apnea is no joke. I was diagnosed around 10 yrs ago and have rarely slept a night without it. My sleep apnea is so bad that a UPPP or the soft palate surgery will not give enough benefit to bother. I run at high pressures for the obstructive aspect and I have central apneas as well. A night w/o a CPAP means a great deal of throat pain the next morning and a uvlea that's swollen to about 2x normal size and length...I kid you not. I travel internationally for work and every where I go, I carry a 10ft extension cord, a plug adaptor, and my CPAP. Stinks when you are trying to keep your luggage to a minimum.

I had no idea there were models that ran on battery power......thanks for this thread, it gave me some ideas!

Old 02-27-2010 | 07:24 PM
lallsdd966
Advanced
Default Cpap

I have positional sleep apnea with periodic limb movement. I used the cpap for about three months and that was enough for me. (No good) Now I rely on Ambien. Anyone that wants to buy my machine I'll let it go for $450.00. Comes with all the bells and whistles!