Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPAP machine Harley Battery or Cigarette Lighter

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010 | 10:01 AM
broziff
Tourer

Id say your best option would be to camp were there is electricity. Costly battery packs to me would not be worth the hassle cause were are you going to charge them for the next night.

Old 02-24-2010 | 10:06 AM
hogbutt
Advanced

Luv the cpap. I've been an avid user for 10 yrs now. Tryin to break the habit but, just to fat I guess.....
The worst case scenario for cpap users is during a cold. Damn......I hate that!!!!
Good luck w/ your cpap and heres hopin you find electricity.

Old 02-24-2010 | 10:16 AM
Steelknee57
Road Captain

I used to take my CPAP with me on the bike. We always stay in Hotels. My problem was that after about 3 days the CPAP would start sounding like a Mack Truck. I suppose the ride in the TourPak would take it's toll on the unit.

Insurance replaced it twice, but after the second time they said no more. (I never told them it went on m/c vacations).

I saw an ad on TV for a mouth piece that said it could help with OSA. I tried it and it works. I now use it for m/c vacations, but use the CPAP at home.

www.puresleep.com

Last edited by Steelknee57; 02-24-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 02-24-2010 | 10:05 PM
ks6c
Tourer

+1 on the www.puresleep.com mouthpiece.

I've been a CPAP user for 5 years now. At first, I could'nt get used to it, and it was disturbing my sleep more than the apnea. My doctor said about 25% can never get used to the machine, so he prescribed, and a dentist fabricated, an upper and lower mouthpiece that would slide the lower jaw forward.

Worked like a charm, but damned expensive (cost my insurance company $1k), and extended use can change your bite. So I worked and worked with the machine to get used to it at home, but when I travel (and work required 30% travel until I retired), I use the mouthpiece - no power requirements and takes up a LOT less luggage space <G>. Vacation this past year was a 4,000 mile tour of Europe and the UK - with my moutpiece.

I saw the same ad on TV for the Puresleep mouthpiece and ordered one - works exactly like my expensive mouthpiece for a lot less money.

Old 02-25-2010 | 02:40 AM
65Bowtie
Advanced

My CPAP macine has a detachable heating tray. I can run it all night off a 12vdc source with no problems. If you are using a inverter you will waste the batery by converting to vac then the machine has to change it back to vdc.

Old 02-25-2010 | 02:44 AM
gunslinger14647
Advanced

Strange topic for a Harley forum, but I've been on one for about four years now. I had a quadruple bypass at age 33. Always snored and tossed around in bed, but never made the connection with heart disease until my wife told me one morning she thought I had died in my sleep. She told me I had quit breathing for over a minute during the night! Finally went to the sleep study and I was so bad they halted it at 2 hours (instead of four) to put me on the mask. I hadn't felt so rested in YEARS. All this said, I think my CPAP would draw too much power to even hope to start my bike the next morning. Frankly, I doubt it would run through the night. Be careful, what ever you decide; I'd hate to think what could happen if your battery went kaput during your sleep.

Old 02-25-2010 | 03:00 AM
Aztecking
Advanced

On my week long bike trip last summer I just took a 15' drop cord and everywhere we camped had electricity so I put my tent close enough to the power supply and I was ok. That size cord doesn't take up any space. It's the machine that takes up valuable space. This was my first trip on the bike since I started using the CPAP and I have used it religiously except for one night on the trip and I payed for it the next day. I about fell asleep while riding. I didn't realize how much better sleep I got until then. I hate being tethered to that thing every night but it's better than the alternative.

Jeff

Old 02-25-2010 | 04:17 AM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member

15 year user. my wife told me I had a problem and I told her she was crazy, If I were not breathing I would be dead. I was always tired and one day I awoke going through a corn feild at 70 mph and decided she may be right. Had the test and been better ever since.

To answer the question, NO your HD battery will not handle it... they do have travel units that are a lot smaller now. check this out.
http://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/pro...p-machine.html

Old 02-25-2010 | 05:39 AM
rickoshay45
Road Master

I see these in the hospital all the time where I am a Biomedical Engineering Tech. Try to get one that will run off 12 volts and get the necessary adapters for it. The inverters and othe types of power sources are notoriously inefficient. If it will run straight off 12 volts the power draw is much lower.

Old 02-25-2010 | 05:55 AM
mphamrick
Road Warrior

Hey, no more snoring and no more **** calls in the middle of the night. I have been to Korea, Guam, Mexico where I go the cpap machine goes with me. Once you get use to it you can't sleep with out it. This year at Sturgis we will be camping close to an outlet so I can plug in............

Quick Reply: CPAP machine Harley Battery or Cigarette Lighter