Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing new hinges

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 04:23 PM
lenny
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing new hinges

Just a heads up ! Installed my new hinges this weekend and I have to agree that they look awesome . When you get ready to drill the rivets out of the old hinges a couple of things to be aware of and each seems to be slightly different. Each rivet appeared to be pressed slightly different then the next, You need to make certain that the drill takes out the center of the rivet or you will end up with an elongated hole thru your tourpack. Be aware of the spinning because you will tend to apply more pressure which will heat everything to the point of melting your way thru the plastic. In other words if ya plan on having any cocktails or brews let your bud do the install and you hand him the tools or parts!

Old 04-06-2009, 06:28 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All you need to do is run the drill on the head of the rivet with no pressure. They are very soft aluminum and come right off. Complete one side at a time too, makes things alot easier.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:20 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Use a smaller drill bit to drill out the rivets, then use the size in the directions to make the holes a shade bigger. Had absolutely no problems with my install.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lenny
When you get ready to drill the rivets out of the old hinges a couple of things to be aware of and each seems to be slightly different. Each rivet appeared to be pressed slightly different then the next, You need to make certain that the drill takes out the center of the rivet or you will end up with an elongated hole thru your tourpack. !

And do you know this from experience???

Don't feel bad I did the same fuggin thing.