Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB to walkie talkie, how to?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 02:03 PM
webbug
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CB to walkie talkie, how to?

Can I use the CB to communicate with 2 way radios?

I have motorola talkabout, tried setting the same channel on both but it doesn't seem to work.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

They won't work. They operate on differen frequencies.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

the newer "walkie talkies" are part of FRS which operate up in the 462 and 467 Mhz range, where your CB is 27Mhz.

You can still buy true "CB" walkie talkies at Radio Shack

Old 04-07-2009, 07:13 AM
webbug
Cruiser

I'm still confused!

1. Is it possible to communicate my CB with the common portable 2 way radios in the market like Motorola talkabout?

2. If not, if I need to get a portable 2 way radio that can communicate with my CB, what specs should it have

Thanks

Old 04-07-2009, 07:14 AM
webbug
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Neggy ZRXOA 5248
the newer "walkie talkies" are part of FRS which operate up in the 462 and 467 Mhz range, where your CB is 27Mhz.

You can still buy true "CB" walkie talkies at Radio Shack
I'm still confused!

1. Is it possible to communicate my CB with the common portable 2 way radios in the market like Motorola talkabout?

2. If not, if I need to get a portable 2 way radio that can communicate with my CB, what specs should it have

Thanks

Old 04-07-2009, 07:22 AM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by webbug
I'm still confused!

Thanks
Your CB operates on a different radio frequency than what the newer radios like the small Motorola handhelds work at. Think of it this way: Imagine that your CB works like it was an FM radio station. Imagine that the small handhelds work like they are AM radio stations. You can't hear them both on the same channel. Not a very good analogy, but you are talking about two different types of radio frequencies. They are two different types of technology.

Go to Radio Shack, and get a handheld that operates on the frequency that your CB does (which is 27MHz). You can buy handheld CB radios that will work on the same frequency as the CB on your bike.

If you are wanting to do bike-to-car communications (like if your wife is following you down the interstate in her car while you are riding), she either needs a CB handheld, or she needs a auto CB radio installed (this is the better way, you usually can get more range (distance) if she had the auto CB radio.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:04 AM
webbug
Cruiser

will google that

Last edited by webbug; 01-18-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:26 AM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm still confused!

Thanks
To question 1 NO! as others have said it's a different NON compatible radio
To question 2 Get a hand held 40 channel CB

Old 04-07-2009, 10:59 AM
Thirdup
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If not, if I need to get a portable 2 way radio that can communicate with my CB, what specs should it have
As far as specs go, I don't think that you'll find much variation these days. They're all gonna be 40-ch and in the 4watt range of transmitting power (max allowed by FCC). I'd *highy* suggest an external antenna (either mounted or a little magnetic one). CB's don't usually transmit well being keyed up inside a car. You'll do much better with an external antenna for both transmission and reception.

Radio Shack still sells a little 40-ch Cobra that's a nice radio (you can find it many other places on the Internet for about 30% less, though). Hand-held, 12v adapter, magnetic antenna for car use.

Amazon has a little Midland 75-822 that is very slick (I'd suggest the addition of an external antenna). Tiny little thing. Can be used both as a handheld or a dash mount.

They also sell a pure handheld Midland 75-785 for like $30 (but you'd have to still add antenna and a 12v chaerger).

Then there are some even cheaper ones if you look around eBay (but I'd avoid used equipment like that because you can end up spending a good deal on replacing old rechargable batteries....and sometims they can't even be found).

Old 04-07-2009, 12:56 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by mastery
Your CB operates on a different radio frequency than what the newer radios like the small Motorola handhelds work at. Think of it this way: Imagine that your CB works like it was an FM radio station. Imagine that the small handhelds work like they are AM radio stations. You can't hear them both on the same channel. Not a very good analogy, but you are talking about two different types of radio frequencies. They are two different types of technology.

Go to Radio Shack, and get a handheld that operates on the frequency that your CB does (which is 27MHz). You can buy handheld CB radios that will work on the same frequency as the CB on your bike.

If you are wanting to do bike-to-car communications (like if your wife is following you down the interstate in her car while you are riding), she either needs a CB handheld, or she needs a auto CB radio installed (this is the better way, you usually can get more range (distance) if she had the auto CB radio.
Like the man said !!!!
GRMS and FRS are the most common hand held frequencies these days. They operate on a frequency that you CB doesn't. there is nothing to be confused about.

If you just want to talk to another bike, then get a hand held CB unit, from Radio shack or such, if you want to talk to a friend in a car/truck, you'll be better off getting a car unit installed. if it's just a temporay thing, (like you're moving via the interstate) then an handheld will be fine

try http://www.sierra-mc.com/default.asp

Quick Reply: CB to walkie talkie, how to?