Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadglide or a BMW K1200 LT??

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 11:21 AM
joeschmoe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Roadglide or a BMW K1200 LT??

I am getting close to trading motorcycles and I'm on the fence on which way to go???I Like my Roadglide however, the Beemers "look" very nice also!! probably are lighter and more nimble to boot....Any reason to stay away from either in the '09 models???

Old 04-06-2009, 11:28 AM
michael427
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know of any reason to stay away from the 09 harleys and I could give you a million reasons of why to stay with an American HD over a german Beemer. Even tho they are good bikes.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Frankie-FLHXI
Road Master

i don't mean to be smart but really what answer do you think you will get here? find a bmw site ask the same question and what answer do you think you'll get there?
remember you are what ride.
good luck in what ever you decide and be safe

Old 04-06-2009, 11:41 AM
dave7mm
Cruiser

joeschmoe,
Have you rode a 09 RG yet?
Aint sayen beemers arnt cool or nutten
But a 09 RG is the best Harley ever.
dave

Old 04-06-2009, 11:43 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior

Hmmmmm - Stay with the HD.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:45 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

I think they are both very good, but very different bikes. The BMW is quite nimble and will outhandle the Road Glide, if that's important. The Road Glide is more comfortable (IMO)
Seating posture on the BMW is upright, and would cause MY kness to ache after a short time, the HD has more option in that regard
BMW dealerships are quite liberal in their road test policies, so you'd be best served, by road testing both, and deciding for yourself.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:48 AM
joeschmoe
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dave7mm
joeschmoe,
Have you rode a 09 RG yet?
Aint sayen beemers arnt cool or nutten
But a 09 RG is the best Harley ever.
dave
No I haven't, it is on list of things to do before making a decision....

Originally Posted by frankieb1963
i don't mean to be smart but really what answer do you think you will get here? find a bmw site ask the same question and what answer do you think you'll get there?
remember you are what ride.
good luck in what ever you decide and be safe
I know there are some converted Beemer riders here and figured I might get a response from them, I would be interested in why they switched from BMW to HD...I know the majority of responses will be HD only but I had to ask!

Old 04-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 383 Likes on 218 Posts

Right now I would avoid the BMW LT. The entire K series has been totally redesigned and improved *except* the LT. The LT's drive train goes back to BMW's original 1984 K100. A totally new LT is expected to be released by next year.
I'm not necessarily saying to go with BMW, but in the BMW line I would consider the 4 cyl K1300GT or opposed twin R1200RT. Both will be lighter, handle better, and run faster than the Harley. (the K1300GT *way* more power and faster) The GT is a little sportier while the RT is a little more upright tourer.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:51 AM
joeschmoe
Road Captain

Originally Posted by skootchnc
I think they are both very good, but very different bikes. The BMW is quite nimble and will outhandle the Road Glide, if that's important. The Road Glide is more comfortable (IMO)
Seating posture on the BMW is upright, and would cause MY kness to ache after a short time, the HD has more option in that regard
BMW dealerships are quite liberal in their road test policies, so you'd be best served, by road testing both, and deciding for yourself.
Thanks for the info....That is one of my concerns is the riding position, as my lounge chair set up on my RG is VERY comfy...I will go test ride a Beemer once the snow gets out of here in the next couple of days! And I will have to go rent a RG to test drive it unless the dealers are hurting for sales!

Thanks again

Old 04-06-2009, 11:58 AM
thehueg
Cruiser

I rode a 2000 and then a 2006 LT for a total of 60,000 miles . Both were excellent and technologically superior to the Harley line. Having said that, I finally had to leave BMW for two reasons. First, my 55 year old knees were on fire after a couple hours as there was no practical way to move around on the bike and no place to put your feet to change knee position. You basically "lock-in" when riding the Beemer. Secondly, my wife and I do some long distance riding (last summer Boston to Yellowstone and Glacier) and BMW simply has too few dealers. You could get stuck hundreds of miles from a dealer. I needed the security of support "just in case". My 08 Ultra provided a very comfortable ride last year. I still miss BMW's electrically adjustable windshield, the best in the industry. And, at times I miss the German engineering that produced such a fine bike. The bottom line is I couldn't comfortably ride the bike any longer.

Quick Reply: Roadglide or a BMW K1200 LT??