Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddle bag lid buckling leather

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 10:56 AM
drjggood1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saddle bag lid buckling leather

Sorry dont have a pic to post but thought I would run this by the forum. Since the 1st week of ownership, the left saddlebag lid on my new RoadKing is warping or pulling from the surface on the top of the lid. I mentioned it to the sales guy and he said it would be covered under the warranty no problems. Was just curious what to expect when I take it in to have it looked at. I am going in for the 1k service and was going to have them take a look at it then.

Wondered if they will make things right no questions asked, or if I am in for a run around. Bike has never seen a drop of water and has been babied/garaged always.

Thanks in advance, Jeff

Old 04-06-2009, 11:20 AM
baggers4life
Intermediate

I haven't tried this; however, I heard that if you use a heat gun, you can warm up the plastic on the lid. Once the plastic is heated up, you can reshape it by placing some weight on the inside and let it cool. This should take the sag away.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:47 AM
stillwater
Tourer

Before you try heating it up (not too sure I'd try that if it's still covered under warranty) - have you used any type of leather conditioner on your bags yet? If the leather dries out too much, it may cause some shrinkage and warping.
I'd be quite surprised if the dealer just switched bags for ya. They're more likely to point out that all leather products will have slight imperfections - especially if they suspect the warping was because you let the leather dry out.
Good Luck.

Last edited by stillwater; 04-06-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:03 PM
pidnaul
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stillwater
Before you try heating it up (not too sure I'd try that if it's still covered under warranty) - have you used any type of leather conditioner on your bags yet? If the leather dries out too much, it may cause some shrinkage and warping.
I'd be quite surprised if the dealer just switched bags for ya. They're more likely to point out that all leather products will have slight imperfections - especially if they suspect the warping was because you let the leather dry out.
Good Luck.
If I think you are talking about the same thing I am, I believe it is just the leather or plastic naturally expanding and contracting with temp changes. Mine does the same thing. Where I can rub my hand over the top of the bags and see slack in the leather. But then on other days when it is colder or warmer, it seems to stretch back and be tight again.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:18 PM
drjggood1
Cruiser

Thanks for the responses so far. Pidnaul, you described it perfectly. I have not treated the bags as of yet, but this started happening right away. I think I have seen this on some other bags. Wasnt sure if others were having the same issues. I think it does tend to lay down if it warms up in the sun a bit. Just dont like the look of the sagging leather. I will let you know what they say. Thanks again, Jeff

Old 04-06-2009, 04:21 PM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so glad the previous owner of my bike switched to hard bags I still remember cutting templates out of TIN and used them as stiffeners/inserts for the bags of my old '95 Heritage Classic.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:46 PM
pidnaul
Tourer

Originally Posted by drjggood1
Thanks for the responses so far. Pidnaul, you described it perfectly. I have not treated the bags as of yet, but this started happening right away. I think I have seen this on some other bags. Wasnt sure if others were having the same issues. I think it does tend to lay down if it warms up in the sun a bit. Just dont like the look of the sagging leather. I will let you know what they say. Thanks again, Jeff
No problem. I think the plastic is pretty sturdy and keeps it's shape, must just be the thin leather on the top. I freaked out too the first time I walked past it in the garage and seen the bags. Later on that day it was back to normal.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:53 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I switched to hardbags myself, but when I had the leathers on they did the same thing. Showed dealer and he said they do that, depending on the temp outside. In warm weather it goes away, in cold they ripple up. Set it out in the sun and watch and see.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:57 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

My 07 RK Custom bags were like that for about a month and then just settled in and went away. I got them soaked in the rain and I think that helped them tighten up. I used to see bikes on the showroom floor like this all the time but since mine fixed themselves I quit looking for it I guess because I never notice it anymore.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:01 PM
pidnaul
Tourer

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
My 07 RK Custom bags were like that for about a month and then just settled in and went away. I got them soaked in the rain and I think that helped them tighten up. I used to see bikes on the showroom floor like this all the time but since mine fixed themselves I quit looking for it I guess because I never notice it anymore.
I wondered if the rain would stretch the leather. Does the leather care goo help to water proof them? I wouldn't want to much stress on the stitching or seams. Does the leather hold up pretty well? In the long run I would like to get some stretched bags to pop on and off with some serious speakers in them. But I will always like the classic look of the leather.

Quick Reply: Saddle bag lid buckling leather