Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddle bag lid buckling leather

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 06:12 PM
D2R
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine would do the same thing in cold weather,then tighten up when it got warm.As for treating the leather I'd wipe the bags and tour pak down with warm water let them dry and use mink oil,kept them looking like new.Was told to never use saddle soap or any other soap on them.07 RKC 21k mi. ,traded in on 08EGC .

Last edited by D2R; 04-06-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:22 PM
pidnaul
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by D2R
Mine would do the same thing in cold weather,then tighten up when it got warm.As for treating the leather I'd wipe the bags and tour pak down with warm water let them dry and use mink oil,kept them looking like new.Was told to never use saddle soap or any other soap on them.07 RKC 21k mi. ,traded in on 08EGC .
When I bought the bike the dealer gave me that small jar of leather goop. Have you ever used the stuff?

Old 04-06-2009, 08:43 PM
D2R
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pidnaul
When I bought the bike the dealer gave me that small jar of leather goop. Have you ever used the stuff?
Hey Pidnaul If it's the same stuff I got from the moco I'ts mink oil.After I wiped the bags and tour pak down I'd apply the oil let it soak in real good and wipe off the excess. Every time I washed the bike. Any shoe store has it.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:56 PM
TheBagger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leather is not stable like fiberglass or plastic it expands when wet or when the temperature changes. Over the years I have seen many complaints about the Road King Classic bags and many people have gone after this with a warranty issue. I don't recall anyone having their bags replaced by HD because the leather gets loose on the top of the bags.

My bags change with the weather/humidity, it's leather and I expect it so it doesn't bother me at all. If it really bugs you then get the hard bags.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:13 PM
pidnaul
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by D2R
Hey Pidnaul If it's the same stuff I got from the moco I'ts mink oil.After I wiped the bags and tour pak down I'd apply the oil let it soak in real good and wipe off the excess. Every time I washed the bike. Any shoe store has it.
Thanks.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:15 PM
oldmanwayne
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBagger
Leather is not stable like fiberglass or plastic it expands when wet or when the temperature changes. Over the years I have seen many complaints about the Road King Classic bags and many people have gone after this with a warranty issue. I don't recall anyone having their bags replaced by HD because the leather gets loose on the top of the bags.

My bags change with the weather/humidity, it's leather and I expect it so it doesn't bother me at all. If it really bugs you then get the hard bags.
+1 , mine did the same thing with high humidity (cold weather), put them in the sun for several hours and they tightened up- I did use the bag oil from HD and it works fine, no worries!!

Old 04-06-2009, 10:39 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the dealer is going to take care of it under warranty then great. I'm really surprised you did not get the "Its leather and has natural imperfections" line. If it happens out of warranty putting a damp towel on the bags in the sun seems to help relax the leather, allowing it to lay back down. It never happened on my RKC but I know others that have had that problem after riding in heavy rain.