Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hogtunes vs other speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 11:38 PM
Geezer Glide Bob
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Hogtunes vs other speakers

I had an 03 Ultra with the stock radio, and I used J&M Audio in the rear pods and they fit without any pod kit and sounded ten times better than the stock ones. They are made from a material that is weather proof, (they'll warranty them if there is a problem.

Bob

Old 08-10-2006, 01:12 AM
Topper
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: dionne51

You can pretty much disregard the 'peak' output levels as they don't represent the user's experience with the audio quality and power. The RMS values represent what you and I can hear and notice with the system. I've worked for a high-end audio company for 18 years and the 'coffee talk' is what our competitors claim for 'peak' output. Essentially this means their system/speakers can withstand this power level for a few seconds....enough to be recorded....pretty much marketing taking over engineering.
I've got the Harmon-Kardon system on my '07 street glide and despite poor comments on the '06 version they have nearly doubled the output power and I must say that although I can't say the system is 'high fidelity' by any stretch of the imagination I 'can' hear it fine at about 50% volume at cruising speeds and the sound is not that bad. Bass response is the most difficult aspect of audio to represent well with a limited loudspeaker size (size of diaphram moving the air) and considering all the wind and exhaust noise I'm surprised to hear some of the bass tones at all from my system at higher speeds.
That being said I have never listened to a 'hog tunes' system and in no way advocate or dismiss their product but am trying to help you read between the marketing crap when you read the headline specs.

Never seen Pez post any "marketing crap" about his speakers, most here have real riding experience. I've put about 25K in my SG and the C Note I sent to Hogtunes is probably the best investment yet. Factory speakers were very distorted at speed due to the head unit being pushed wide open. Hogtunes only require about 5 bars at cruising speeds with a 95" motor and a 2-1 pipe. You can read and read specs., just as I did, and **** away a couple hundred, but in the end, you will keep reading about how we enjoy our Hogtunes and bite. Get a boat to put all the other sets in, it's the only thing they will be good for.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:59 PM
jjr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: omahairishfan

well this topic has been discussed but I am confused so I am seeking input

just installed kenwwod am/fm/cd/mp3/xm/cd on my electra glide. I put in Infinity speakers
heres my question. I want the best speakers (I can afford) and I keep hearing hogtunes as a must. It makes me want to order them but here is my question

My volume goes up to 35 on my kenwood deck. The volume needs to be at 27 for me to hear it over my pipes.

1st) If I buy the hogtunes wont I still have to turn it up to that level to hear it over the pipes no matter what speakers I buy?

2nd) hogtunes is 45 watts RMS - 90 watts peak $100?
infinity 40 watts RMS- 105 watts peak $69

I just enjoy music, dont understand the who what where and why. I just want to hear some music. Can someone help me here

Thanks

You would want a 4 ohm speaker , Hog Tunes are 8 ohm.

Old 08-10-2006, 03:46 PM
RonH
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope - HogTunes are 5.75 ohm for 98-05 bikes and 2 ohm for 06/07 systems.

here's the link:

http://www.hogtunes.com/speakers.htm

Old 08-10-2006, 11:04 PM
capage58
2nd Gear

Just received min from PEZ the other day, installed them in my RG and all I can say is wow, much better than stock, well worth the $100.

Regards

Old 06-02-2007, 01:42 PM
tullious
Intermediate

Hello out there...

Anyone out there ever installed J&M speakers in their bagger? I have a 2003 Aniversary Edition Ultra Classic. I have emailed a couple of people from the EBay stores that sell both the Hogtunes and J&M speakers and from people that are selling their stock speaker too.

They all said J&M over Hogtunes! I wished there was some comparison of the two to make up my mind. My birthday is coming up in July and my wife will buy the speakers!!!

Anyone out there besides the Hogtunes crowd???

I have emailed both Pez (Hogtunes) and also John Lazzeroni, J&M Corporation President and they have both written that there were never any comparisons made between the two or even Hawg Tunes or anyone.

How do you know what is better?

I do like the concept that J&M has in their front speakers: a separate component tweeter with crossover in the included speaker's new included grill that moves out of the main speaker's mid-bass path for "better sound" (J%M's claim). I've always had better sound from my component speakers in my former cars than the all-in-one speakers.

Also, Harley Davidson makes a "Premium" 4 speaker with 4-Channel amp replacement set for $499.00 on the HD website (use search on the siteto find it). The amp would be surface mountedunder the tour packcase and the wiring run through the bike back to the head unit, battery, etc.

TB

Thanks...

Old 06-03-2007, 12:49 AM
Spartan
Road Captain

When you find out, let us know. I was leaning towrds the Hogtunes but now I am having second thoughts and want to find out more on the J&Ms.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:09 AM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 118 Posts

First, before I mention any other speaker other then Hogtune's, I gotta say I've always been extremmelly pleased with Hogtune speakers, and Pez and his entire operation. Hand's down far superior then a stock speaker.
Now with that said, what is the best speaker available for a motorcycle application? I mean if money wasn't an issue. I've been hear ramblings about a company located here in the Bay Area, called Hawg Wired. Thier web address is http://hawg-wired.com/. They look like they have a great product line and a nice selection of speakers. Does anyone have any expeirance with there products? Take a look, it looks like there are other options other then HogTunes or J&M.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:22 AM
Seawolf
Tourer

Listen i'm not knocking Hogtunes, but for half the price you can go to any electronics store and buy a nice set of speakers that will handle the load and sound just as good or better than the Hogtune speakers.

I paid $35 for a set of Kenwood speakers and they work just fine.

What bothers me is how we can pay all that money for a HD and they put crappy speakers in there.lol

ORIGINAL: omahairishfan

well this topic has been discussed but I am confused so I am seeking input

just installed kenwwod am/fm/cd/mp3/xm/cd on my electra glide. I put in Infinity speakers
heres my question. I want the best speakers (I can afford) and I keep hearing hogtunes as a must. It makes me want to order them but here is my question

My volume goes up to 35 on my kenwood deck. The volume needs to be at 27 for me to hear it over my pipes.

1st) If I buy the hogtunes wont I still have to turn it up to that level to hear it over the pipes no matter what speakers I buy?

2nd) hogtunes is 45 watts RMS - 90 watts peak $100?
infinity 40 watts RMS- 105 watts peak $69

I just enjoy music, dont understand the who what where and why. I just want to hear some music. Can someone help me here

Thanks

Old 06-03-2007, 03:52 AM
Bobberino
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 07 street glide and ever since ive had trouble listening to my heavy bass hip hop music, ive been wantin to change my speakers out. So I researched, talked to people, did search on hear, talked to people, and looked at a million companies. First Ive talked to people at stereo shops who just wants to put 6x9's and a amp in my bags. Yeah, not for me. Then I went and talked to people who swear about the 6x9's and amp in their bags. Then I talked to a buddy who replaced his fronts with infinity's on his street glide. They are 2 ohm and he hasnt had any trbl. Ive talked to astereo shop whos worked on hawg wired products and he swears by them. Tellin me its the only way to go. just add their amp and change out the fronts and u wouldnt have any trbls. He said hes had it on his road glide. It wasnt at his shop at the time of visit so i couldnt hear it. Then I went lookin at all the websites....hells foundry, biketronics, hawg wired, hog tunes...etc. Nice lookin speakers, setups etc. My personal thing is, Id love to hear em. So I researched companies with 2ohm speakers, since i wanted to keep the stock deck and the only 1 I found was infinity makes a 2 ohm 5 1/4 speaker and Best Buy sells the. So I decided to go check them out and hear them. I liked what I heard. It was decent enough even for bass heavy hippity hoppity rap music. So thats what I did. Im not sayin those hog companies dont make a good speaker, its just Id love to hear them before I fork out my money.

Quick Reply: Hogtunes vs other speakers