Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stebel Air Horn

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 02:48 PM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is wrong with the stock location?

Old 04-18-2009, 02:16 PM
jeff194
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Thanks Jeff. I bought one of these a while ago and keep looking at it, wondering just what to do with it! At long last I know.
Your welcome, Good luck with your project.

GMC
I didn't like the chromed over plastic look of this horn, which is the reason I mounted it where I did. I really wanted to mount it in the space under the battery, above the swing arm, but it would not fit.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:08 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff194
Your welcome, Good luck with your project.
Back to the drawing board! Offering the horn up it looked as if the place you fitted yours was just right. My bike is a 1990 model and the space behind the bags looked ample. I have now removed both bags and tried to fit it in, but with no success! Even if the horn mount is pressed against the tyre the horn is still too thick to refit the bag. There must be more space on later dressers.

Originally Posted by gmc
What is wrong with the stock location?
These things are bigger than the original horn and pretty ugly! Similar horns are available with covers as Mini Beast and even more attractive as Mini Beast II, but are much more expensive. Those are both designed for Harleys, to go in the stock position, but are even bigger.

Importing either of those into the UK where I live makes them extremely expensive, so a cheaper way to get noticed is to buy the basic Stebel horn. The instructions that came with mine shows it being fitted to an auto, so the fact that we bikers have discovered them is probably a bonus to the makers.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:52 PM
easyriderED
6th Gear
Default finding stebel

I'm diggin up an old thread here, but it came up in the search. Do you remember what kind of stebel you attached, and are you still happy with it? I've been reading that there are no louder horns than some of these stebels and that's what I need. Road King Custom in my garage, but the factory horn doesn't cut it.

If anyone cares to reply, I'm looking for a nod yes or no to the stebels.

See ya on the road.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:05 PM
uncle bo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a little off topic about the air horn,but where did you guys get the stebel from and what kinda money are we talking about?makes you **** your pants when you push the button?lol.maybe this will wakeup those deaf buggers.my factory horn sounds like a bee caught in a plastic bag.again sorry for going off topic but just curious about the air horn.thanks

Old 09-29-2009, 01:07 AM
mtbottles
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I used a stebel nautilus. (spelling)

Very happy with it. Paid about $60 if I remember correctly. Got it on line somewhere. Don't remember where.

I separated the compressor from the horn and followed some guides from this forum. Compressor fit nicely under seat on right side of my 09 SG. I drilled a hole through the mounting bracket of the horn and secured it where the factory horn was. Used 3/8 " clear tubing and routed back to compressor. I eventually got a braided cable looking cover for the clear tubing. I have been real lazy with pictures lately. Just let me know and I can take some.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:25 PM
easyriderED
6th Gear
Default loud as a jet engine

I bit and bought this stebel air horn - site said it was as loud as a jet engine, I figure that should rattle some sense into the cagers. GET OUT OF MY WAY.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:40 PM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts

They are easy to put in stock location. Just remove horn and drill one hole out bigger in the bracket and there you go. Had mine on since summer and the plastic part came loose from the compressor. Figured out they just used cheap glue and i stuck it back together with clear RTV sealant and it's still honking. There's an unused rubber mounting location under the seat that holds the relay(at least on a Road Glide anyway). I think it looks kinda businesslike hanging down there.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:26 AM
phat96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gr, mines a 96 Road King and I separated the horn from the compresser. The compressor went under the left side panel and used fuel line under the seat to the cow bell and used zip ties to secure the horn to the cowbell. It looks stock and is loud as hell. I got mine from Biker Haven on ebay and paid $40 bucks. Best modification and I could do it myself.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:56 AM
INZANE
Tourer

for the guys who separated theirs... how did you seperate them and at what part of the horn did you do that?

Quick Reply: Stebel Air Horn