Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Internal Wiring of Bars

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 07:16 AM
gabulldog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Internal Wiring of Bars

Before I'm scolded for not doing my research of threads, I read every one I could find last evening, I have one (1) question, I am putting WO 575 bars on an Ultra, did you guys cut and re-splice the wires or did you re-move the pins from the connector? I don't think I am gonna have to extend the wires. Thanks

Old 04-05-2009, 07:25 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a very good post with pictures showing how to do that job.
It's probably in the DIY forum.
I did mine, you won't need to cut. You'll love the bars.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:25 AM
aries4155
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just install WO575 bars on my ultra. I tried removing pins, way too difficult, went the cut and re-splice method.
One there is no chance of installing pin in wrong location.
I know I had enough length but I added 4" extensions anyhow.

Turned out great, really like the the different bars.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:29 AM
Go3Win8
Novice

If you don't need to make them longer just slide the pins from the connectors. Be very careful to keep track of where they go. If you need to make them longer then it really doesn't matter if you cut them. Just make sure you solder the splices well. And stagger the splices. to keep it as small as possible. Use a good heat shrink over each splice, and then a larger piece over all the splices

Old 04-05-2009, 07:34 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gabulldog
Before I'm scolded for not doing my research of threads, I read every one I could find last evening, I have one (1) question, I am putting WO 575 bars on an Ultra, did you guys cut and re-splice the wires or did you re-move the pins from the connector? I don't think I am gonna have to extend the wires. Thanks
Just take the connectors apart and remove the pins........make sure to write down where every wire goes. Each slot has a number, just note the color wire that goes there.

The good thing with the 575's is that you can reuse all the stock cables and you don't have to lengthen the wires at all. You will have to relocate the plugs inside the fairing so they will reach.....but that's not a big deal at all.

I've done a few sets of 575's with internal wires, and they have all come out great.

Steve

Old 04-05-2009, 07:34 AM
soon to be
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gabulldog
i have done this.....very easy....

pull the pins....do not cut the wires, they are long enough...

you will love the bars!

Old 04-05-2009, 07:45 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by aries4155
I just install WO575 bars on my ultra. I tried removing pins, way too difficult, went the cut and re-splice method.
One there is no chance of installing pin in wrong location.
I know I had enough length but I added 4" extensions anyhow.

Turned out great, really like the the different bars.
You probably wouldn't think removing the pins was dificult if you new the trick to removing them from the plug.
Once you do, it's no more difficult than taking off the valve stem cap.
Very simple to do, just take your time.

Last edited by Wally; 04-05-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:53 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

Here ya go buddy.
One of the best done amateur tech articles ever.

http://www.kenandjudy.us/Harley%20Pi...Bars/index.htm

Old 04-05-2009, 08:21 AM
Zacharia_11
Road Master

Remove the pins. Took me about 3 minutes to get the first one, and about 4 seconds each for all the rest....

I did spend half an hour tryng to get them back in, but only becuse I put it all back to gether upside (pins) down then couldn't get the two connecters back together. So fyi, the pins 'click' into place when you put them back in, if yours don't you probably did it wrong.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:31 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Zacharia_11
Remove the pins. Took me about 3 minutes to get the first one, and about 4 seconds each for all the rest....

I did spend half an hour tryng to get them back in, but only becuse I put it all back to gether upside (pins) down then couldn't get the two connecters back together. So fyi, the pins 'click' into place when you put them back in, if yours don't you probably did it wrong.
Good advise for sure.
Also, sort of related, as a general rule,if you have to push hard or force something on your bike into place when installing or reinstalling it, you're probably doing something wrong.
Rest assured, the folks at the factory that put it together the first time, weren't forcing anything.

Quick Reply: Internal Wiring of Bars