Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Internal Wiring of Bars

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 08:48 AM
gabulldog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess if I'm changing to chrome housings/switch covers it would be much easier to do this on the bench rather than do it standing up over the bike. I have my bike down to the frame/engine so time is not the issue. I have a June 1st hopefull completion date!!! Did you guys push the pins out with a small drill bit (backwards) or a paper clip or something that fits the connector hole? Thanks, I have got SO much help from this forum. gary
PS, The completion date is totally dependent on the $$$, I just can't start writing checks for stuff.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:03 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I took the handle bars mount and all off the bike, and mounted the whole thing to the bench, by drilling two holes in a piece of plywood , then screwing it to the bench ( so I wasn't left with two big holes in the bench). It worked great, leaving the bars loose in the clamps let me move them back and forth as needed.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Zacharia_11
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gabulldog
I guess if I'm changing to chrome housings/switch covers it would be much easier to do this on the bench rather than do it standing up over the bike. I have my bike down to the frame/engine so time is not the issue. I have a June 1st hopefull completion date!!! Did you guys push the pins out with a small drill bit (backwards) or a paper clip or something that fits the connector hole? Thanks, I have got SO much help from this forum. gary
PS, The completion date is totally dependent on the $$$, I just can't start writing checks for stuff.
I took a small safety pin from my wifes sewing kit. Put the pin in the same side that they will come out from (don't push them out, pull them while working them). There is a small hook like piece you need to 'dislodge'. The reason the first one took me so long is that i had inserted the safety pin on the inward side of the pin (towards the center), needed it on the outward side. Then just kinda wiggle the pins to try to work it loose while pulling gently. I found the technique to be more like picking a lock...

Edit again:

I just happen to be doing this project this weekend. Her is the trick that gets my pins loose:
On the side that the orange rubber piece came out of.
Insert safety pin on in along side the pins on the outward side.
Flex Safety pin towards the inward side while gently pulling the wire loose.

Last edited by Zacharia_11; 04-05-2009 at 02:53 PM. Reason: spelling & mixup on inward vs outward
Old 04-05-2009, 10:46 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Take the radio out too. Makes everything a lot easier to do. The maintenance manual tells exactly how to remove the radio.So simple a caveman could do it.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

Lots of good advice here.
The first one will of coarse be the hardest.
I found that keeping a little preasure on the wire in the direction you're trying to pull it out, while poking around with needle like device worked great. When you move the release, it will slip right out.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:01 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Do yourself a favor and get the one piece top clamp for the bars as used on 08 and later tourers 55918-08 $35.95 retail

Old 04-05-2009, 12:27 PM
soon to be
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Do yourself a favor and get the one piece top clamp for the bars as used on 08 and later tourers 55918-08 $35.95 retail
yep..once again, dawg is right on...did the one piece clamp when installed I my 575's!

Old 04-05-2009, 02:50 PM
FFZHD
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default cable length?

So the wires are long enough, but how about the cables? Opinions on how much to extend them or dont need to? I have a 06 SG that i would like to put 13" bars on. Thanks for all the info. Very helpful

Old 04-05-2009, 03:53 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

Can't comment on the cables needed for 13" bars on a Street Glide, but the 575 bars will require a longer clutch cable, and brake lines on Electra Glides. the stock throttle cables will work fine.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:36 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Stock bars are a 6" rise........so if you are putting on 13" bars, that would mean that you need at least +7" cables, +8" would be the best bet.

Steve

Quick Reply: Internal Wiring of Bars