Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trip to Charlotte N C

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 08:44 AM
wrenchguy24
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trip to Charlotte N C

Hey everyone we are taking a trip to Charlotte the end of the month I will be ther for a NASCAR driving experince at lowes speedway, CANT FRIGGING wait!!!!
But what are some things to do and see there?
We are for sure doing a hendrick motorsports tour !!!!
Next big thing we are going to ride over to the coast anybody have ideas on which way we should go???? We are going to ride over stay all night somewhere and ide back to charlote next day.
Just need some ideas what to do and where !!!!

thanks mike

Old 04-04-2009, 09:53 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Sounds like you are a Nascar fan, plenty of race shops close by or within a days ride. Do a search on them for locations. I seem to remember when the NC hog rally ended up at the Lowes track, they had a link to all the shops in the area. Ya should be able to find a similar link somewhere. Enjoy!

Old 04-06-2009, 06:14 PM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I don't have a lot of time right now to think about it, but wanted to bump your thread, also may try posting in the SE forum, in case any locals go there...

I will say that you're on the western side of the state, so if you're riding here from where you are, you'd pass through the mountains on the way in. If fly-n-ride type situation, then you can still see some mountain roads in a day trip, or get deeper w/ an overnight.

As to getting to the coast, depends on what you want to see. Not sure about the most scenic routes, since I just got back into riding here, but most of the time I lived here I was trying to get the beach ASAP to start the vacation, not taking the scenic routes. I can comment on the destinations a bit though.

Along the border of NC/SC you'll see places like Wilmington/Wrightsville beach just on the NC side of the border, which is a nice little beach town, and has some other beach towns even smaller around it and to its north.

Just on the SC side of the border is Myrtle Beach. Some love it, some hate it, depends on what you're into. Definitely things to do there, some nightlife, restaurants, etc. Recently they've had some a$$hat councilmen trying to ban the bike weeks, subsequently making tougher laws like enforcing helmets (even though SC doesn't have a helmet law) and loud exhaust, eye protection, etc., so while there are plenty of places around MB proper that are still in the general area, be careful of the city limits unless you catch up on their local ordinances (which are being contested), but some avoid the area altogether. Shame, coz I've had a lot of fun there, even off the bike.

Further south, but not really any further from Charlotte than MB (and probably closer than any of the NC beaches) is Charleston, SC. While I can't tell you all about the details of the city, I have been there and thought it was nice. It has a historic downtown area on the water and stuff, so if just looking for a nice/interesting destination to have a look see and come back, might be worth a ride. Not sure best scenic route to get there, but just sharing the option.

The bike nights in the Charlotte area are starting to get going again. Quaker Steak or something like that is a big chain and they have a big facility near Concord Mills off 85 NE of Charlotte, which is near the speedway. Don't know when their bike nights start up, but they used to be Wed nights I think. There's a Harley Dealer there too across the street, and another saloon next to the Harley Dealer. Mac's on South Blvd in Charlotte is in a trendy southend area so has a mix of bikers and young professionals and artsy types, think their bike nights were on Wed also. There's another Mac's north of town near Lake Norman, and there are some other bars actually on the water on the lake which are kinda cool, you can ask around. McKoy's in Charlotte has bike nights on Friday nights, small place but good spot to ck out. There's a place in N Charlotte of Statesville road just into Huntersville called Easy Eddie's which is a bike shop / bar, don't know what kind of events they have planned, but it's a big place.

Well, hope that helps, just off the top of my head, maybe someone else can give more specifics...

Last edited by karz10; 04-06-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:31 PM
tallboy56
Road Master

Charlotte is a pretty long way from the coast. You could take 74 and go through the "low country" or if you're into historical type places, New Bern is supposedly a "nice" place to visit(that's where the Carolina Dealers Association is having the spring rally this year). There is a lot of beautiful country east of the Queen City but you might want to do some more research before you decide. Ride safe...

Old 04-06-2009, 07:02 PM
FLoTR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll be 400 miles(round trip) from the nearest point of the Atlantic no matter what beach you try to go too. Call ahead and make plans in North Myrtle Beach. Council not quite the ********* there. I recommend a villa(camper) at Apache Campground, home of the longest pier on the east coast. It has a friendly little restaurant to grab a bite if you can't stay overnight. Get a pier pass and ride your bike all the way to the sand dunes.

Last edited by FLoTR; 04-07-2009 at 04:23 AM. Reason: correction
Old 04-06-2009, 07:07 PM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on where you are heading on the coast...I like to take 73 over to Rockingham and catch 74 to Wilmington. Not really sure what there is to see in Charlotte besides NASCAR sites, we usually gas up and leave town. . Salisbury has a transportation museum that is pretty cool. Indian Motocycles are made to the west near Kings Mountain. No matter how fast you want to run...someone will want to go faster around here. Get out of the way. Enjoy your trip.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,088 Likes on 3,646 Posts

New Bern is nice but ride an extra 20 minutes to Moorehead City or Atlantic beach.. or Wilmington or North Myrtle Beach...The Atlantic coast in this area is Beatiful....Worth the ride if you ask me...I live 40 minutes away and rode there this weekend...Salt air is nice....Or hell rent a bike and ride to the mountains....150 mile or so...

Old 04-06-2009, 07:55 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From Lowes Motor Speedway its close to 4hrs to get to the coast

Ashville NC and Maggie Valley NC arent to far to take a ride to as well. And if your feeling adventurous you can ride through Cherokee NC to get over to the Dragon @ Deals Gap to travel on a road with 318 turns in 11 miles

Last edited by FLTR2008TRIKE; 04-06-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:37 PM
wrenchguy24
Road Master

Thanks for the info !!!

From the map looks like we will head down to wilmington!!! looks like about 200 miles from charlotte!!! nice little ride!!!!

Old 04-06-2009, 08:50 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by FLoTR
You'll be 400 miles from the nearest point of the Atlantic no matter what beach you try to go too. Call ahead and make plans in North Myrtle Beach. Council not quite the ********* there. I recommend a villa(camper) at Apache Campground, home of the longest pier on the east coast. It has a friendly little restaurant to grab a bite if you can't stay overnight. Get a pier pass and ride your bike all the way to the sand dunes.
Myrtle Beach, SC is only 175 miles from Charlotte. Boone, NC is only 125 miles from Charlotte. I would head west if it were me. Much better riding in the mountains.

Quick Reply: Trip to Charlotte N C