Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Modulator

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Old Bones
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed a brighter light bulb. Seems to me a flashing headlight is the universal sign "go ahead and turn in front of me".

Old 04-03-2009, 09:28 PM
dchoran
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Bones
I installed a brighter light bulb. Seems to me a flashing headlight is the universal sign "go ahead and turn in front of me".
Huh - after two years with a Kisan - NO ONE - I repeat - NO ONE has cut me off.

Prior to the Kisan, it was a daily occurrence.

These things are legal and should be on every scoot to save lives.

Only problem - some elderly and kiddies in cages pull over thinking you're a LEO.

Or like today, I pull up along side of a dude at a light and he rolls his window down and said "hey, your headlight is loose" - he got a 15 second education on modulators and was impressed - said he was going put one on his bike.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:45 PM
lviguy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 to dcochran

I've had the same experiences. Modulation gets you seen. That's half or more of the battle. The human eye easily catches change, like modulation.

In WWII the allies actually put landing lights all along the leading edge of ASW planes to camouflage them. Lookouts on German subs could not see the planes against the sky and became easy gun kills as they ran on the surface.

Headlights that are too 'white' are harder to see as well.

But modulated lights draw the eye. Folks who run them all seem to have stories of cagers pulling over, or telling them their headlight's 'broken, etc. Solid evidence of being seen.

My Kriss unit was just over $100. What's the downside? The upside is your life, health or property. Should be an easy choice. I don't care whose unit you choose, but encourage every mc owner to put a modulator on your ride.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:12 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Bones
Seems to me a flashing headlight is the universal sign "go ahead and turn in front of me".
You are correct in the statement you made to a point, but you must also agree that it is just a few quick flickers of the high beam switch to relay that "universal sign". When comparing that with a constant and steady light modulation with no variation in its intensity it is a whole different matter. You can't possibly flicker your high/low beam switch that fast.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:59 PM
gdkenoyer
Tourer

Originally Posted by soos
You can't possibly flicker your high/low beam switch that fast.
+1 on that.

I have the Diamondstar from Custom Dynamics. on my RG.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:13 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by QSRYDR
I looked at the website and found the HID conversion but not the headlight modulator.

Do they make a modulator for the stock headlight ?
Yes & it is also the least expensive of all and you can use 2 separate channels. Just call is all.

I personally use a modulator on my 1) - FXR with 3" passing lamps. I do not modulate my headlight but do the passing lamps only. As some stated in prior postings, the light intensity is controlled by voltage making it brighter or dimmer. This makes the bulbs run much cooler than normal prolonging bulb life.

Last edited by FastHarley; 04-04-2009 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:11 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

After almost becoming road spaghetti a while back when a cage pulled out in front of me I decided to become more visible. I installed the HD fog lights and a headlight modulator.

I feel like I have done all I can too be seen and protect my wife and myself. The kissan modulator works great, no problems.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:43 PM
dchoran
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FastHarley
This makes the bulbs run much cooler than normal prolonging bulb life.
EXACTLY - many on this forum have had longevity issues with Silverstars - I have had an H4ST Silverstar headlight with my Kisan modulator for over three years or 15,000 miles.

The ONLY other modulated bike I have EVER seen in Wisconsin was a Honda. Just not that popular yet. Too bad.

If all bikers had them last summer at the Milwaukee 105th, it would have been like the old '70's disco days

Dave H.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Rick14221
Tourer

I have the Kissan. Very noticable.