Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why can't I get 45 MPG like everyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009 | 04:39 PM
techdct
Advanced

Trying to improve gas mileage has been something that I have been working on for a while. I have an 08 Ultra Classic with Rush slip ons, SE Air Cleaner and a Fuel Commander III. It was getting about 40 MPG on the road. Got rid of the Fuel Commander and replaced it with a TTS Master Tune. With this setup, you hook your laptop to bike and go for tuning runs. After tuning runs, I got my mileage up to 43 average over about 1200 miles. That was with a corrected speedo/odometer that you can correct with the ECM flash. Then I had the dealer install an Andrews 26H drop in cam replacement. WIth a TTS retune of the bike, I am now averaging 44 MPG after about 500 miles. The bike runs better, has more torque and power, and gets better gas mileage. Now the 44 MPG would calculate to about 45.5 with the original speedo calibration.

Old 04-03-2009 | 04:39 PM
Shank
Cruiser

i get between 36 and 42 mpg with my 07 Ultra depending on how and where i ride,,,,,,i aint real sure about the high 40's just dont seem right to me i sure do wish i could get 48mpg though ! maybe they get that down hill or something ...hehe

and WTF!!!! 7K for an 07 Ultra ???? man what a deal ......with all that money left over you could run 15 mpg for few years and still be way ahead !!!! And be the chrome king of the niehborhood !!!! LOL !!!

Old 04-03-2009 | 04:44 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

since i changed to a full synthetic my milage is about 45 mph highway and 40 on the

streets-ride safe

Old 04-03-2009 | 05:05 PM
Sefferdog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by OLD 96
I read post where guys ride 80 mph into a 30mph headwind loaded with camping gear and they weigh 400 lbs. and the ol lady is close to that and his bike "consistently gets 45 mpg." Maybe I exgagerate a little.
The best I coax out of Ol Sally here is 37mpg with all stock stuff. After the mods(see sig) is 36 to 35mpg.
I don't hot rod. Shift at 3 grand. Cruise on the highway in 6th between 70 and 75 mph@ around 2500-2700 rpm. I won't "lug it" Stay mostly between 2500 and 3000. Ride solo. Around 240 lbs.(Many years of beers). So why no better on the gas mileage? Other than that she runs great. Any thing I should look for?
i have the same year, same riding style, and get the same mileage.

Old 04-04-2009 | 12:31 AM
OLD 96
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Shank
and WTF!!!! 7K for an 07 Ultra ???? man what a deal ......with all that money left over you could run 15 mpg for few years and still be way ahead !!!! And be the chrome king of the niehborhood !!!! LOL !!!
Yeah, well. It was one of those ebay deals. Salvage title. Mechanically in great shape with low miles. Needed cosmetics and some TLC. Checked it out real good before I bought it. Figured it would be hard to go wrong for that price. Put about $1500.00 more in it so far. Happy as a pig in slop with it. Even the MPG I can live with. Look forward to a long and happy relationship. I guess I don't ride as conserative as I thought. According to some of the other post. Like everyone else I want to keep riding and never have to make that pesky gas stop.
Ride Safe!

Old 04-04-2009 | 02:46 AM
Raptor1956
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ozoneman
LYAO if you like. I'm sure you are one of the ones that doesn't believe anything any one tells you. You know everything already. No, I'm not kidding. Think about all the people doing the little things each and every day, and then add that up. We're talking millions of people refueling everyday! People only think in terms they are familiar with and don't think about the enormity of it all.
I am shure you are one of those people that believe every thing people tell you with out investigating. Do you comprehend how many lightning strikes the earth has every day? How much ozone that is produced from a single strike? I will bet you think that Al Gore is right that mankind is causing global warming. Answer me this if you can. What brought the Earth out of the seven ice ages before man kind. Hug a tree for me will you. I have to go out and fire up my evil carbon emitting Harley and ride down to the ozone producing gas station to fuel up for the run to the coal fired power plant that I work at so I can produce power for the EMF producing appliances that you use. Give me a break and stop spewing all of that liberal brain washing you have been fed and stick to harley stuff will you? Oh and by the way I get 44 mpg out of my carbon emitting 09 FLHTC

Last edited by Raptor1956; 04-04-2009 at 02:50 AM.
Old 04-04-2009 | 09:30 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tmblweed
Just roll up your pant legs and wade thru this stuff. Guys stating they get BETTER MPG after stage 1 etc....geezzzz
I did - just a matter of how it is tuned.

Old 04-04-2009 | 10:13 AM
rk99
Cruiser

My 99 Roadking was getting upper 30s - I took it to the local Harley dealer and they found out I had not had some special tube replaced - Factory recall!! After that my MPG was up around 45 on the hiway..35+ in town.. Check for factory recalls.. By the way, mine is carburated.

Old 04-04-2009 | 10:21 AM
bambamblazer
Cruiser

Back in Dec. on a 3800 mile trip my ultra averaged about 113 mpg, but i trailered it about 2500 of those miles!!!!

Old 04-08-2009 | 08:28 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FX4
I did - just a matter of how it is tuned.
And also a matter of how it's ridden. Most folks don't ride/drive nearly as economically as they think they do!

Quick Reply: Why can't I get 45 MPG like everyone else?