Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Brand Sunglasses Cracking

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 08:38 PM
09flhtc
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Brand Sunglasses Cracking

Okay I purchased $125.00 HD brand transitional sunglasses. Today I was on my way from OH to NY, when a small rock less than 1/4 of an inch came up and smack the top len and frame cracking the lens right down the center. Now my issue is NOT how much the glasses cost but the fact that they cracked. These are suppose to be riding glasses how can u call them that when a small rock will crack them. And what do you think the dealerships response was when I got home, we can sell you new lenses why the F*!# word i spend $40 on lenses that brake when road debree hits them? They should be pulling them off the self!

Old 04-02-2009, 08:40 PM
09flhtc
Banned

Any suggestions for good light weight transitional touring glasses that don't brake.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:25 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,350 Likes on 2,531 Posts

are they sunglasses or are they riding glasses? there is a difference and a lot of the glasses that hd sells are just sunglasses. albeit expensive ones at that.

dont mean to kick you when you're down, but you gotta use the right tool for the job.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Milwaukee 1
Cruiser

About a year ago I bought 2 different pairs of riding glasses 1/dark,1/clear. Paid about 17 bucks including tax for both of em at a kiosk in the mall. Two nights ago a pebble or some kind of road trash hit my left lense and didn't even leave a mark. Maybe im just lucky so far (knock on wood) but I'm pretty sure even if my lens did bust I would have gone right back and threw out another 8 smackers for another pair just like em. There's a lot I can do with the amount of money it cost just to wear that HD emblem.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:08 PM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 09flhtc
Any suggestions for good light weight transitional touring glasses that don't brake.
take a look at this: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=524750

Were your HD glasses rated as impact-resistant/shatter-proof? If not, then you expected them to perform a task they were NOT designed to do as skratch above pointed out.

Yes, the Wiley X pair above meets the ANSI Z 87.1-2003 high-velocity safety standard PLUS it is priced ridiculously low

Old 04-03-2009, 12:21 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bought a pair of HD riding glasses once - ONCE. Crap.

Not that I'm against dropping a bundle on glasses - My eyes are rather important to me.

That said, I've been through a lot of specs over the last few years. My favorites at this point are the Windjammers - You wind up with a set of photochromatic polarized glasses and a pair of clear glasses (not two sets of lenses - two pair of glasses) and a hard case that fits both. Pricey - It was around $150 if I recall. But great, great glasses. They have an 'insert' (for lack of a better term) that I removed (but saved the parts) to keep the lenses a little closer.

That all said - I'd much rather wind up with cracked lenses than injured eyeballs. If your lense cracked, maybe it was just doing its job. Even a little stone at high speed packs a bit of energy...

Old 04-03-2009, 07:03 AM
09flhtc
Banned

Originally Posted by skratch
are they sunglasses or are they riding glasses? there is a difference and a lot of the glasses that hd sells are just sunglasses. albeit expensive ones at that.

dont mean to kick you when you're down, but you gotta use the right tool for the job.
riding

Old 04-03-2009, 07:13 AM
MILO851
Cruiser

I have a pair of Profile riding glasses from harley they have removable foam liners. I have owned them for 4-5 years and love them. I have replaced the lenses a couple times for scratches but never for crackes. If this is the frame you have I would pay ya for them if you want to get rid of them.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:46 AM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior

I am sorry your glasses cracked especially at that cost.

We have 6 different style safety glasses (ANSI rated)that are used around several of our sites. Clear, amber, dark and transitional.

I have always used these. There are several different makes, models and brands available and have found that occupational safety glasses are stonger and more reliable than most glasses available. Also available in numerous styles colors and shades. Interchangeable lenses etc.
Safety glasses have come a long way in the past 25 years!!
just my opinion
Ride safe and I am glad you were not injured

Old 04-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Road Head
Road Master

Originally Posted by kromdom
take a look at this: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=524750

Were your HD glasses rated as impact-resistant/shatter-proof? If not, then you expected them to perform a task they were NOT designed to do as skratch above pointed out.

Yes, the Wiley X pair above meets the ANSI Z 87.1-2003 high-velocity safety standard PLUS it is priced ridiculously low
I just got mine two days ago. They are perfect, especially for $30. My previous pair were Wiley X also no issues there either, just got tired of changing lenses.

Quick Reply: HD Brand Sunglasses Cracking