Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat Deflectors

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 04:14 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 673 Likes on 537 Posts

i have adsjustable backrest with RJ ORIGINALS great product all american made by vets fit and finish was very good and its not plastic that will scratch and crack.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most here agree that RJ's are the best. I have the HD ones on right now and they work with the standard (not adjustable) backrest. Also have a new, never use set of Kury's that someone can have cheap (PM if interested). Kury replaced them because I broke one that was on before.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:33 PM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

08 FLHX with driver adjustable backrest. I am using the HD one, left side covering the adjusting lever. But I can easily lean forward and reach under the shield to get to the adjusting level. It's a good 2" gap between lever and shield.

Fiddling with it, I think I can take the lever assembly out of the mounting bracket and mount it on the heat shield. Doesn't look that hard to do, and the HD shield looks rigid enough to support the assembly. But since I adjust the backrest to one position, I never have to adjust it yet. Maybe next winter's project.....

Old 04-02-2009, 04:55 PM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master

Originally Posted by 007 ultra
I have RJ Origionals on my flhtcui and they do a wonderful job.

I looked at Kurkyans first - talked to a guy that had them & he didn't recommend them. He broke several as his chaps caught on them when dismounting.

Also, have the adjustable drivers backrest - just takes a moment to move the sheild to get at the backrest lever.........no big deal.
RJs work fine like stated above! HD are the ones that won't work. you'll be fine! RJs owner is Zoood on this site! Contact him...he's great at customer service!

Ride Safe, Mike

Old 04-02-2009, 07:35 PM
DMcBiker
Cruiser

I have the HD's what a PIA to install. No need of something so simple being such a pain to install. Good thing they work.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:39 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member

skip the plastic junk and get the best. RJs. They work great and blend well into the seat. plus you can't find a better guy to deal with than RJ! He really does care about taking care of the customer!!

Old 04-02-2009, 08:28 PM
shy1
Cruiser

Be careful with the Kurys if you have an aftermarket seat. Some aftermarket seats will force the shields onto the engine.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:31 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by garyak
I am looking at mid frame heat deflectors/ saddle shields I have a FLHTCU with the back rest.They say at the Harley shop that they wont work on a bike with the backrest some of you say that they will.I need to know the ones that will any idea.Thanks
I had a similar problem with contradicting statements at the dealer. One of the sales folks said it wouldn't fit. Fortunately, it did. I installed the rider's adjustable backrest to my '09 Ultra and the adjustment toggle fits under the mid-frame deflector.

You can't see the adjustment toggle from the side of the bike and it's still fairly easy to get to. After a few uses while at speed it's become an easy target to find without even looking down.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:00 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

If heat is a problem give us a look we are a new sponsor here but have been here a while..
Our heat shields our Crotch coolers as we like to call them work very well and the quality is #1,easy to install.As with all of our products if you are not happy just send it back for a full refund. Here is a link to our page
Thank you
Larry

Old 04-03-2009, 05:11 AM
patsfan
Road Captain

+1 on RJs. Great product and customer service. Will look good years later and if ya got any issues, he's happy to take your call or answer an email to help ya out.

Quick Reply: Heat Deflectors